Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woody:REDSKINS NOTES

TK

REDSKINS NOTES

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Tuesday, November 4, 2003

THE BLAME GAME: In commenting on his team's poor performance, Redskins coach Steve Spurrier always adds that he and his coaching staff have to do a better job as well.

Yesterday, Spurrier indicated he believes the coaching staff is doing fine and is not the crux of the problem.

"The natural tendency is to blame the coaches for everything that goes bad," Spurrier said. "I hope you guys have been watching games like we have."

In other words, Spurrier does not agree with that natural tendency.

The big problem in Dallas, where the Redskins lost 21-14, was the pressure on Redskins quarterback Patrick Ramsey. He was sacked four times and absorbed numerous other punishing blows from blitzing linebackers and defensive backs.

Spurrier's passing-based offense is under scrutiny. His ability to design a game plan and prepare a team also is being questioned.

"I've been coaching 20 years and this is not the first time I've seen blitzes," Spurrier said. "What we tried to do yesterday [sunday], we didn't do very well. We got in shotgun, tried to block them, there was all kinds of land down there to throw it, and we didn't block them very well. You can go back and throw it quickly, or you can do what we did to Taylor Jacobs, but you've got to block them."

Ramsey threw a touchdown pass to Jacobs, a rookie wide receiver, late in the game when the Cowboys came on yet another blitz.

"Do we need to make some adjustments?" Spurrier said. "Sure we do.

"The last few games, the blitzes and hits on the quarterback are something we've got to concern ourselves with. We sure do.

"We're struggling a little bit. I'm not that discouraged. We're getting stopped. For some reason, all offenses get stopped. We're going to try not to get stopped."

INTERNAL TURMOIL? When things are going bad for a team, all manner of things are said. Sunday on ESPN's NFL pregame show, it was reported that Spurrier and longtime friend and Redskins offensive-line coach Kim Helton had a long, loud argument at Redskin Park last week during which Spurrier fired Helton. The report said Helton took issue with getting fired and quit. Later, the report said, Redskins owner Dan Snyder smoothed things over.

"Whoever started that rumor probably was the same person who said a couple of weeks ago that I almost quit before the season started," Spurrier said.

Then, in a statement that indicated how much trust Spurrier has in some of his co-workers at Redskin Park, he said, "It might be somebody in our organization."

After the Dallas game, Helton said, "I'm going to be very serious. I would die standing up before I would quit."

Spurrier said he doesn't plan to fire anyone on his coaching staff. "I'm determined not to," Spurrier said.

And Spurrier said he doesn't intend to depart after this season, either.

"I'm sticking on my three-year deal, OK?" Spurrier said as he ended his press conference yesterday.

Spurrier has said that if the team isn't winning after three seasons, he does not expect to be around as the coach.

BRUCE SMITH SAGA, PART II: Defensive end Bruce Smith was removed from the starting lineup against Dallas in favor of Regan Upshaw and was not happy about it. Smith is two sacks away from becoming the NFL's all-time sack leader. He entered the season 3½ sacks away from the record.

"I'm sorry he feels that way," Spurrier said. "He's not being singled out.

"We thought Regan had played as well or better and deserved a chance to start. Next game, I don't know who's going to start. If the defensive coaches say Bruce played better, then he'll start."

THE PAIN OF IT ALL: The Redskins' injury report continues to grow. Running back/return man Chad Morton has a sprained ankle and is doubtful for this week. Running back Sultan McCullough has a fractured hand and is unlikely to play Sunday against Seattle. Starting center Larry Moore has a sprained foot, and the team is concerned that he'll be unable to play Sunday.

Outside linebacker LaVar Arrington has a bruised shoulder but is expected to play Sunday. Defensive tackle Jermaine Haley also has a bruised shoulder to go along with his already fractured thumb. He's doubtful for Sunday. Backup safety/special-teams player Todd Franz has a sprained ankle but hopes to play Sunday.

Spurrier said running back Trung Canidate, who has missed two games with a high ankle sprain, should be ready to play Sunday. - Paul Woody

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Common%2FMGArticle%2FPrintVersion&c=MGArticle&cid=1031771913037&image=timesdispatch80x60.gif&oasDN=timesdispatch.com&oasPN=%21sports%21redskins

"It might be somebody in our organization."

Vinnie C, it maybe

We will see whose runs the team this summer. If Vinnie isn't fired or demoted, Spurrier is doomed. Vinnie run off Mendes, and has made player personell decisions against Spurrier too many times. Wouldn't have been great to have Kenny Watson back there yesterday blocking instead of Rock? How about Danny Wurfell on the team to help PR, with audibles and blitzes in this system?

I have no doubt Vinnie has been giving juicy tidbits to the press, to help put fuel on the fire as they say.

Originally posted by PROTECT THE QB

THE PAIN OF IT ALL: The Redskins' injury report continues to grow. Running back/return man Chad Morton has a sprained ankle and is doubtful for this week. Running back Sultan McCullough has a fractured hand and is unlikely to play Sunday against Seattle.

Jesus H. Christ. That's some pretty bad karma right there. 4 RBs deep and we've lost them in all in the past 4 weeks. What the heck is that?

Who the hell knows? It's easy to point the finger at Vinnie, (I've got one in mind), but I hesitate only because.....????????? Never know I guess. Still not sold on this Watson thing. We fussed at him last year for missing blocks as well. I liked Watson, and franky would have preferred him over Sultan, but then there's probably a reason why I'm not a head coach. Or maybe a bunch of them. Watson ran well last year but became expenable when Sultan turned it up. Or so it was reported. Easy to look back now and say "See?", but Betts, Candidate and Morton all went down in short order, ( no...not intended), and who'd a thought?

That said, up until yesterday Rock had been working his way into more and more playing time past Bryan Johnson. He had been blocking well, and even S.S. stated that among the backs playing right now he was the better blocker. What happend yesterday is somewhat surprising. Collinsworth was more than detailed with the first missed block and the second mystifies me...it was almost like he let his man go. Sigh. These are things that happen with young backs I guess. Inconsistency. Hell, the whole offense missed some blocks and has been. So picking on one is a bit near sighted. No doubt game films are going to be rough for the backs. And it should be. That's how you learn.

:cheers:

The reason Watson started over Betts last year when Davis was hurt was because Watson was better at picking up the blitz. He also replaced Davis on 3rd downs a lot for the same reason.

Losing the starting RB three games in a row, and having to throw in a another back in emergency duty does hurt the blocking.

If it were my team, I'd be on the phone with Cincy asking whether Watson is available. Is he even playing? Is he a practice squader? If he's on the P-squad, than he can be signed to the Redskin active roster and it's mandatory he be there the rest of the year.

Dillon, R. Johnson (who ran well in Dillon's absence) are the true starter and backup.

Anyone else notice how many of these problems started when Trung was knocked out of the Tampa game?

I feel like Trung has added a lot to the backfield, and he has been a relative leader in the running game. Will he make an impact this week? I say yes.

Also...what's the deal w/ Fiore? We need him back something fierce. If he plays this week, which I had heard, the protection could see a great deal of improvement, including from Trung.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

but then there's probably a reason why I'm not a head coach.

Hey, you'll never know till you try PCS:cheers:

And for the recrod, I was one of those this summer who felt that Watson should be cut b/c he and Betts were the same player. Well, I admit it, I was stupid for thinking this team didn't need a guy like Kenny Watson. Bad Decision. And look who made, it...ole Danny Stinky Pants.:mad:

Archived