Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When John Schneider was with the Redskins or "how we shot ouselves in the foot 13 years ago"

ewmartin7776

Then Snyder replaced him with Vinny Cerrato in Jan 02 before he had a chance to influence a single Redskins draft pick.

Yep, this team has made more than its share of moronic decisions. It's always hiring your buddy instead of a qualified dude all the way back to Cerrato twice. Lets see how it works out this time since we will now have an entire squad of former Bruce Allen in Tampa dudes running the team with the exception of the GM who is going to try to make up for all of that.

The primary point I was trying to make (but did not actually say) was that Snyder pulled the plug on the Marty Ball experiment because he said he wasn't having any fun anymore (rather than the real excuse of wanting to hire The Ole Ball Coach). 

Snyder said "I fired Schottenheimer because I wasn't having any fun?"...

In fairness the 2001 draft was the worst of the Snyder era prior to 2008. Up until 2012 noone was pining for Schneider.

Impossible to know how responsible he or McC are for tje Hawks success, since Pete Carroll makes all the decisions.

The 2001 Draft occurred from April 21 through April 22. Vinny was fired in January of 2001. Schneider was officially announced on June 1st of 2001, per the article's timeline. 

So Schneider wasn't even in house for the 2001 draft. Then Schneider is fired in January of 2002, before the 2002 draft. No way to judge his personnel decision ability. 

If you are judging 2001, you are judging Marty. Who incidentally was hired in January of 2001, mere months before the April draft.

Per the article, again, it was said that Vinny fired many longtime scouts and personnel assistants in 2000. So, Marty apparently inherited a pretty bare cupboard (personnel staff wise) for 2001, too. 

So, theoretically, Marty is making 2001 draft decisions based upon the scouting reports and various work that Vinny compiled and organized in the fall of 2000. 

Can we please move on from the past? This is the problem with our fans. We want to reincarnate the Hogs or the Fun Bunch or constantly play the "what if" game.

Please tell me that in 2001-02 anyone on this board could have predicted that John Schneider would be the GM of the Seahawks who could possibly win their second straight SB?

Oh, and he's winning with Scot's players.

and it only took another 15 years to build a champ.  No skins fans have that much patience.  

Can we please move on from the past? This is the problem with our fans. We want to reincarnate the Hogs or the Fun Bunch or constantly play the "what if" game.

I wonder "what if" the OP had never created this thread.....

There are some stuff from the past I know but really don't know in details. Thanks for posting. :)

and it only took another 15 years to build a champ. No skins fans have that much patience.

Believe me, if anyone thinks I'm happy about anything in the last 23 years, they are mistaken. I'm just as mad, sad, embarrassed and confounded as the next fan. I'm just trying not to look at past regrets with the team. It does no good to solve the problems "now," which is really my point. It will just gnaw at you and make a fan even more bitter.

I wonder "what if" the OP had never created this thread.....

There are some stuff from the past I know but really don't know in details. Thanks for posting. :)

I'm not sure what the point of your post was, so forgive me. I'm just trying to solve our problems for 2015, not 2001. Every franchise can go back and do the same thing. They all have regrets, but move on from them.

Actually John s didn't take part in the May 2001 draft as he wasn't hiret yet. That was all Marty.

I'm not so sure that guy is interested in your facts. 

Marty and John S. picked Rod Gardner over Reggie Wayne and Drew Brees.  LMAO.

You may want to pick your ass up off the ground, just in case you literally did laugh it completely off. 

The Redskins CURRENT situation compared to the Seahawks is ALL of Mike Shanahan's fault..!

I've mentioned this several times over the years! 

-Pete Carroll and Mike Shanahan are hired in 2010. Both teams are in a rebuilding mode with no talent on the roster. 

-2010 Shanahan passes on Russell Okung and drafts Trent Williams. Carroll drafts Okung. Both coaches start good!

-2010 Needing a RB , Shanahan avoids the "troubled" Marshawn Lynch on waivers, Pete Carroll takes a chance on him! (Mistake)

-2010 Shanahan drafts Perry Riley in the 4th,Seahawks draft Kam Chancellor in the 5th round!  (Mistake)

-2011 We trade down to draft Kerrigan and pass on JJ Watt ( Mistake) 

-2011 We draft CB Dejon Gomes in the 5th round, Carrol drafts Richard Sherman 8 picks later!  ( BIG MISTAKE)

-2012 Shanahan must make up ground for the bad personnel decisions. He sells the farm and drafts Griffin and Morris,which atones for passing on Lynch but Griffin gets hurt in the game after being up 14-0. Lynch out plays Morris...

And the rest as they say is History...

In fairness the 2001 draft was the worst of the Snyder era prior to 2008. Up until 2012 noone was pining for Schneider.

Impossible to know how responsible he or McC are for tje Hawks success, since Pete Carroll makes all the decisions.

How do you figure 2001 was the worst draft of the Synder era (Gardner, Smoot, Rosenfels, McCants and Monds)   Are you forgetting the 2002,2003, 2005 2006, 2008 and 2009 Drafts?

Problem everyone remembers Gardner under performing and not living up to where he was picked.  There are several 1st rounders that fall into that category or worse with the Skins  (ie Rogers, Campbell, Ramsey, Landry) but two of the later picks succeeded. Smoot did exceedingly well and Rosenfels had a very successful career. So they hit on 2 or 5 picks  (just didn't stick with one of the them due to Organizational/Spurrier stupidity). That's 40% of the picks being good picks in 2001. There were years under Snyder where none of the picks panned out (looking at you 2005) and of course the notoriously bad draft of 2008 surpasses just about all  for ineptness. 

-2010 Needing a RB , Shanahan avoids the "troubled" Marshawn Lynch on waivers, Pete Carroll takes a chance on him! (Mistake)

Lynch wasn't released.  The Seahawks traded a 4th in 2011 and a conditional 6th rd pick (I believe it became a 5th) in 2012 to Buffalo for Lynch.  At the time the Redskins didn't have a 3rd or 4th rd pick in 2011 due to the McNabb and Jammal Brown trades.

• 2 weeks later...

That first draft  was terrible. We needed  a lineman and Steve Hutchison was right there  and we pick a guy  who's own  teammates nick named 50/50. Gardner out of clemson.  Wanted the coach to stay as coach only but as a gm he was terrible.  Schnider had very little say,  yes Smoot in round 2 or 3 was good but to miss on your first pick soo badly is not acceptable. 

How do you figure 2001 was the worst draft of the Synder era (Gardner, Smoot, Rosenfels, McCants and Monds)   Are you forgetting the 2002,2003, 2005 2006, 2008 and 2009 Drafts?

He said "prior to 2008"...

Smoot did exceedingly well and Rosenfels had a very successful career. So they hit on 2 or 5 picks

Define "very successful" lol...

Archived