Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Gruden an NFL Coach?

lovemaskins

I don't believe for one second that on every single play, the best option is the 5-8 yard pass that RG3 throws.  There is no way that Garcon, Jackson, and Reed are covered that much.  RG3 looked lost out there last year and he does this year.  I think it's too early to throw out Gruden until a QB is in there that can find the open WR.

I don't believe for one second that on every single play, the best option is the 5-8 yard pass that RG3 throws.  There is no way that Garcon, Jackson, and Reed are covered that much.  RG3 looked lost out there last year and he does this year.  I think it's too early to throw out Gruden until a QB is in there that can find the open WR.

Wow what are you watching Gruden is lost out there. 

How do you explain an entire team regressing this year?

Well last game of the year.  Blown out at home by Dallas.  Worst in the league in penalties.  Defense still hasn't a clue.  Still pitch left pitch right no play action offense.  Still no ingenuity, still looks clueless on the sidelines, but still does a great press conference. 

Not sure he knows what he's doing, but Redskins football is done and I don't see us getting much better even with better talent.  We'd need pro-bowlers everywhere to win with current staff and even then I'd see us getting outcoached. 

Maybe I'm wrong but this feels like Zorn all over again.

I don't think you are wrong. I feel JG is in over his head but I think lots of guys would be over their heads here. I think back to when we lost for decades and we only got out of it by hiring a HC that has experience in building a winning team not some unproven coordinator. Now our owner gives him a 5yr deal. WTF is that? How about 3 and if things don't improve after 2 ditch him.

You can't win in the NFL with a bad defense and a bad QB.  It is impossible.  (Plus throw in a terrible oline).

But isn't that partially his fault?  Doesn't he at least have input on the team.  Normally, a head coach provides his GM with an assessment of the team and maybe even a wish list of what he thinks the team needs.  Even if he doesn't get to pick the players ala Shanahan or Parcells, he does tell the GM his major concerns and then relies on the GM to find the pieces.

It's not like he says "thanks for the job, see you guys in mini-camp."  He's the overseer of the everything that happens on the field.  From defense to special teams to offense and play calling.  Everything sucked this year.  EVERYTHING!  I'm sorry, but he doesn't just get a free pass because the Oline sucked, just like some people say about Robert. 

But isn't that partially his fault?  Doesn't he at least have input on the team.  Normally, a head coach provides his GM with an assessment of the team and maybe even a wish list of what he thinks the team needs.  Even if he doesn't get to pick the players ala Shanahan or Parcells, he does tell the GM his major concerns and then relies on the GM to find the pieces.

It's not like he says "thanks for the job, see you guys in mini-camp."  He's the overseer of the everything that happens on the field.  From defense to special teams to offense and play calling.  Everything sucked this year.  EVERYTHING!  I'm sorry, but he doesn't just get a free pass because the Oline sucked, just like some people say about Robert. 

When he got to training camp, he probably said OMG.  Watching his starting QB being lost in the pocket, a secondary that is a complete joke, and an oline that is one of the worst in the league.  He was probably thinking he'll be lucky if he wins four games.

When he got to training camp, he probably said OMG.  Watching his starting QB being lost in the pocket, a secondary that is a complete joke, and an oline that is one of the worst in the league.  He was probably thinking he'll be lucky if he wins four games.

Sorry bro, I just can't buy.  If that's the truth he shouldn't be on any sideline.  He watched film and should have seen these problems from last year.  The secondary was a complete joke last year.  The oline was the worst in the league last year.  Robert struggled reading defenses last year.  Kirk Cousins was an interception machine last year.   

No way he just figured out the team's problems in training camp.  You want to give him more time, okay, but lets not act like he's an innocent bystander in this years debacle.

Sorry bro, I just can't buy.  If that's the truth he shouldn't be on any sideline.  He watched film and should have seen these problems from last year.  The secondary was a complete joke last year.  The oline was the worst in the league last year.  Robert struggled reading defenses last year.  Kirk Cousins was an interception machine last year.   

No way he just figured out the team's problems in training camp.  You want to give him more time, okay, but lets not act like he's an innocent bystander in this years debacle.

He's in way over his head.  Not a head coach in this league.  We've regressed in almost every phase of the game.  Dude can't walk and chew gum at the same time  Bottom line is that he's too stupid to be a head coach.

I don't know how anyone can coach this mess of an organization. Even the great Joe Gibbs barely squeezed out two playoff seasons and we had to spend boatloads of money on expensive vets to pull that off.

But that's the thing, Joe had a philosophy.  Joe said give me a vet QB, and power run game and back, and speedster at wideout, a big o-line and a physical defense and we're going to win some games, and we did.  He also was smart enough not to be the smartest guy in the room which is why he brought in all his guys on the coaching staff.

Not to mention, Joe accepting blame in the media made guys want to run through walls for him.  Maybe some of you don't remember, but I've seen quality coaching in DC and around the league, and right now for me, Gruden is far far from it.  We didn't even run the ball consistently this year, and Alfred Morris is a beast.  It's the one thing we could well the last 3 years and we abandoned it to make Robert and Kirk and Colt "west coast pocket passers."  He said today he abandoned it early.

Sorry, but discipline and basic philosophy/identity should be a given for any new coach.  Something.  Your either a defensive team, a running team, and ball control team, greatest show-on-turf type team, and generating turnover team, a physical team, a play action, a screen team, etc...  We're not anything.  We just run the West Coast offense and suck blocking and blow coverages on defense.  Oh yeah, we're the most penalized team, that's our philosophy. 

But that's the thing, Joe had a philosophy.  Joe said give me a vet QB, and power run game and back, and speedster at wideout, a big o-line and a physical defense and we're going to win some games, and we did.  He also was smart enough not to be the smartest guy in the room which is why he brought in all his guys on the coaching staff.

it took Joe time to develop that philosophy

I have lost a LOT of faith in JG. Basic calls he gets wrong (Down 17 in 4th qtr. 4th and 3 inside the 5?  KICK THE FG!!).  Also -I HATE that he gives up on any game where the lead is more then  8 and in the 4th qtr.  He just goes to running out the clock. At the VERY least -even in blowouts - Use it as live practice to TRY to score a TD.  

However- you cant fire him.  NO ONE Will take the job.  The ONLY person who would take the job is someone who will never coach in the NFL unless they take the job.  No coach hired by Snyder, other then Marty, has gone on and coached anywhere else in the NFL after the Redskins.  The Redskins kill coaches.  If you are someone that is a good coach, or a up and coming coach and you feel like even if you don't get a job now, you might get one in the next 2 or 3 years -WHY would you take the Redskins job?  You know you will probably end up being blamed and blacklisted from getting another job and that's it.

So choices are simple - We keep JG and hope he improves - or fire him and end up with Zorn 2.0 when no one else takes the job.   

Archived