Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vavel: Who Was ESPN's RG3 Story Source?

brandymac27

I just want to feel like the entire organization, from top to bottom, are working towards one goal. Winning football games. Nothing else. No politics, no undermining each other, no crap. I really don't care where anyone falls on this issue we currently have. It's all ridiculous.

But can anyone honestly say they feel like this organization is a professional, sound one built upon the best management philosophies all working towards the one goal of winning?

I mean, I'm sincerely asking that question. Can someone say they really do right now? If yes, please tell me how and why. I'd love to believe you... just show me the way.

I don't buy this. Everything we are forcedfed about the dysfunction of this franchise has never been backed up with any legitimate proof. Even the Shanahan debacle about him wanting out, being fired, the extra year of his contract etc. it's all just speculation.

Problem is, with the Redskins, since there has been so little success, there is nothing else to talk about with the team. How much reporting can you do on a team losing? How long do you think you can keep a fanbase interested if all you talk about is the same generic crap regarding losing? Naturally in order to keep people interested is by emphasizing any kind of controversy, even if it's fabricated or at best reported without legitimacy. 

I honestly feel the organization has done things the right way, but when you're in a city like DC where the journalists are born and raised to dig up dirt and stir up controversy it has to be a much harder battle. 

I honestly feel the organization has done things the right way, but when you're in a city like DC where the journalists are born and raised to dig up dirt and stir up controversy it has to be a much harder battle. 

You mean like Haynesworth?  The trade for McRibb?  The misuse of draft picks?

When did the organization do things the right way?  Look up the road to Baltimore and see how they build a franchise.

It's one thing to speak out against the noise, but to be oblivious to the "right way" when we are the worst team in the league when it comes to actually drafting offense and defensive lineman and when most of our starters are free agent's, show me what in the hell you think the right way is.

Over the last 5 years I don't see a problem with what they have done. Drafting hasn't been bad as far as i'm concerned. They've hit on all their firsts (Williams, Kerrigan, RG3 (IMO), found some later round gems (Riley in the 4th, Al-Mo, Helu in the 4th, Paul in the 5th, Keenan Robinson, Breeland, Reed)

Haynesworth, and the 2009 year INO was the last of the dysfunctional franchise. I don't hate the McNabb trade because of what else was there on the roster. It didn't cripple us beyond 2010 so really it was a loss of a 2nd.

I don't discount the poor development of the O-line, but I blame that on Shanahan, who went with a lighter line to compliment a mobile QB. They tried to change that, unfortunately finding competent linemen for a whole new scheme doesn't happen overnight. They tried something and it didn't work, that doesn't make it dysfunctional in my mind. 

I'm sorry if you've caved into the ulterior motives of the press.

But your example of Baltimore? They have a QB making over 20 million dollars a year and a RB that's most watched "highlight" is him knocking out his fiancee in an elevator. They had one good year thanks to a murderer going on a retirement tour, which was coincidentally the same year as the Redskins good year.

Over the last 5 years I don't see a problem with what they have done. Drafting hasn't been bad as far as i'm concerned. They've hit on all their firsts (Williams, Kerrigan, RG3 (IMO), found some later round gems (Riley in the 4th, Al-Mo, Helu in the 4th, Paul in the 5th, Keenan Robinson, Breeland, Reed)

Haynesworth, and the 2009 year INO was the last of the dysfunctional franchise. I don't hate the McNabb trade because of what else was there on the roster. It didn't cripple us beyond 2010 so really it was a loss of a 2nd.

I don't discount the poor development of the O-line, but I blame that on Shanahan, who went with a lighter line to compliment a mobile QB. They tried to change that, unfortunately finding competent linemen for a whole new scheme doesn't happen overnight. They tried something and it didn't work, that doesn't make it dysfunctional in my mind. 

But your example of Baltimore? They have a QB making over 20 million dollars a year and a RB that's most watched "highlight" is him knocking out his fiancee in an elevator. They had one good year thanks to a murderer going on a retirement tour, which was coincidentally the same year as the Redskins good year.

I haven't caved into anything.  I have been pushing 2 things for years.  Draft in the trenches and hire a real GM.  We have done neither.  Meanwhile in Baltimore they continually draft offensive and defensive lineman and compete for a chance for the super bowl year after year.

I am sorry you can't admit to yourself that things aren't going well.

As for me, I will push my agenda.  DRAFT LINEMAN, get out of the free agency business until you build a foundation.

Just a heads up, Baltimore has drafted a grand total of 6 OL in the first 4 rounds since 2008.

The Redskins, by comparison have drafted 5.

How many defensive lineman have we drafted in that same period?

Also lets compare the O line picks and lets scratch our heads together.

BTW PartyPosse, not trying to be difficult but they draft offensive and defensive lineman....especially defense...when they are a highly ranked defense.

The Ravens starting offense and defensive lines are draft picks.  Ours are free agents.

You can't deny facts.

How many defensive lineman have we drafted in that same period?

Also lets compare the O line picks and lets scratch our heads together.

BTW PartyPosse, not trying to be difficult but they draft offensive and defensive lineman....especially defense...when they are a highly ranked defense.

The Ravens starting offense and defensive lines are draft picks.  Ours are free agents.

You can't deny facts.

2 of their starting O-Line were FAs.

I won't deny their drafting of D-line. But in all fairness, at this point all of our linebackers were drafted as were our corners, so that's not too bad. The Haynesworth debacle set us back a bit but we've also had a lot of bad injury luck with drafted players, like Orakpo, Crawfod and Thomas.

I will admit that at the time I was excited about all of their D-line picks over the years - Jenkins, Jenkins, Jarmon... they just never worked out. I'll admit to that poor bit of scouting.

edit: Looking back on their history, they have only drafted 7 D-linemen in the first three rounds of the last 10 drafts. 

I don't buy this. Everything we are forcedfed about the dysfunction of this franchise has never been backed up with any legitimate proof. Even the Shanahan debacle about him wanting out, being fired, the extra year of his contract etc. it's all just speculation.

Problem is, with the Redskins, since there has been so little success, there is nothing else to talk about with the team. How much reporting can you do on a team losing? How long do you think you can keep a fanbase interested if all you talk about is the same generic crap regarding losing? Naturally in order to keep people interested is by emphasizing any kind of controversy, even if it's fabricated or at best reported without legitimacy. 

I'm sorry, brother, I really want to be on your side here. But you haven't given me a thing to change my mind. :(

I mean, you need more proof than our records the past how many years? How about the fact that we had Vinny Cerrato and Dan Snyder making personnel decisions for us for a long, long time? Now we have Allen, who has never been the best at it, doing it. We let a guy we claimed was awesome at it (Brown) go to another organization so he can actually do what he's good at. The FA decisions we made this year were almost all bad, except Desean Jackson. WE RETAINED HASLETT. I REPEAT, WE RETAINED HASLETT.

I will give you that our drafts since Mike Shanahan came here have been a little better than what we're accustomed to, but that's it. Like chipwich is saying, we're still not hitting on enough Oline/Dline there to really allow our skill players to ever flourish.

I really don't want to drag you down, or make you feel bad for your optimism. It's why I try not to even post much anymore, as I feel like I'm just being an annoying pessimist, and I never want to be the person to take away someone's hope in anyway. I'm sincerely sorry... I just don't see what you're seeing anymore.

I'm glad you do and that you can, though. I won't attempt to force you to think otherwise, and I sincerely hope you're right. I really do.

You don't think this organization is dysfunctional? you kidding me?

We have made the playoffs 4 times in 20 years and the last three times we made the playoffs we had to go on a 5 game winning streak to sneak in 2005 a 4 game winning streak to sneak in 2007 and a 7 game winning streak to sneak in 2012 but we're not dysfunctional? We continue to have to sneak in to the playoffs but we're not dysfunctional?

The organization is dysfunctional bro, it hurts to say it but it's the truth. As Redskins fans we always give the organization the benefit of the doubt but if you ask any other fan of any other team they'll tell you the redskins really are a circus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vslT2YRV7tM

Even though the jaguars lost to us they were so confident vs us because when fans see Redskins on their schedule they check that off as an automatic W bro.

We have made the playoffs 4 times in 20 years and the last three times we made the playoffs we had to go on a 5 game winning streak to sneak in 2005 a 4 game winning streak to sneak in 2007 and a 7 game winning streak to sneak in 2012 but we're not dysfunctional? We continue to have to sneak in to the playoffs but we're not dysfunctional?

Looking back, at least in 2005 and 2007 you can say we were 5-3 at the halfway point and could say we felt good about our chances, even though in those years we suffered the losing streaks that put us in the "x in a row or we don't go" positions.

I'm just getting tired of these recent seasons where we're 3-6 after nine games and need a prayer like 2012 in order to get in. And we couldn't even ride that seven-game streak into the next year.  Even if the Skins finish somewhat strong (like 4-3/5-2) to end 2014, I'm just not sure how much impact its going to have on my forecast for 2015.  Just not a believer in the "carryover" effect anymore.

Even though the jaguars lost to us they were so confident vs us because when fans see Redskins on their schedule they check that off as an automatic W bro.

Interesting that the first young guy said something like, "Jacksonville has a better future than the Redskins."  What he doesn't realize is, the Jags don't even have a future in "Jacksonville."  Now that the Rams will probably move to LA, I'd bet a paycheck that Kahn takes the Jags to St. Louis, since he's a native of southern Illiniois, which is close to St. Louis. And the stupid little Beiber douche burped during his "preview." 

But yeah, our fans are delusional if they don't think that other teams look at us as an "easy" win every year. I would.

Archived