Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Favorite Redskins Game of All Time: a Break From Reality

skins island connection

Ahhh, the infamous Aikman fumble.

That was one crazy ass game. Aikman pump fake, then hit and fumbles in the endzone, mad scramble for the ball, refs had no idea what to call, so they huddled together, fans screaming, then all of a sudden the ref's arms went up in the air. TOUCHDOWN!!

A friend of mine [ Cowboy fan ] was over, claiming the whole time it wasn't a fumble. When they called it a TD, he got pissed and left. lol

Jason Buck.

We should have sent Anthony Carter a SB ring. He torched the Niners in SF that Saturday in a huge upset. I don't think we would have won in Candlestick.

Ed, I've often thought about a thread discussing the playoff matches that didn't happen.  Three involving the Cowboys come to mind:

1991: We beat Cowboys in MNF thriller in Texas early on; Cowboys beat us at RFK to end undefeated season.  Cowboys get trounced by Lions 38-6 in divisional round.  How would a Skins-Cowboys NFCCG matchup at RFK had gone (I think we still win, perhaps less than the 41-10 we beat the Lions by).

1992: Cowboys flatten us in MNF opener in Texas, we beat Cowboys at RFK on Jason Buck play.  We fall to 49ers at muddy Candlestick in divisional round.  How would a Skins-Cowboys NFCCG matchup in Dallas had gone (I think they take us to the woodshed.....Gibbs still retires).

2007: Cowboys beat us in close game in Dallas, we beat them in meaningless (for them) finale to get into playoffs. We lose to Seattle in wild-card round.  How would a Skins-Cowboys divisional round in Dallas had gone (tough to say, knowing also that Dallas wound up falling to the Giants in the round.  But if we were able to beat Dallas and make it at least to NFCCG.....does Gibbs still retire, or does he talk himself into staying at least another season)..

Ed, I've often thought about a thread discussing the playoff matches that didn't happen. Three involving the Cowboys come to mind:

1991: We beat Cowboys in MNF thriller in Texas early on; Cowboys beat us at RFK to end undefeated season. Cowboys get trounced by Lions 38-6 in divisional round. How would a Skins-Cowboys NFCCG matchup at RFK had gone (I think we still win, perhaps less than the 41-10 we beat the Lions by).

1992: Cowboys flatten us in MNF opener in Texas, we beat Cowboys at RFK on Jason Buck play. We fall to 49ers at muddy Candlestick in divisional round. How would a Skins-Cowboys NFCCG matchup in Dallas had gone (I think they take us to the woodshed.....Gibbs still retires).

2007: Cowboys beat us in close game in Dallas, we beat them in meaningless (for them) finale to get into playoffs. We lose to Seattle in wild-card round. How would a Skins-Cowboys divisional round in Dallas had gone (tough to say, knowing also that Dallas wound up falling to the Giants in the round. But if we were able to beat Dallas and make it at least to NFCCG.....does Gibbs still retire, or does he talk himself into staying at least another season)..

Dude, we might share a brain. I've thought deeply about all of those what if's many times.

In 1991, I'm glad it didn't happen :) I think we would have won, but Dallas was soooo close to being great at that point and that would have been very uneasy.

In 1992, I wish it would have happened. That Brian Mitchell fumbled exchange in SF is still etched in my mind. I agree with you--- they likely would have beaten us down, but it would have been worth the shot.

In 2007, I actually think of it from another angle. My brother in law is a huge Giants fans and he has worn me out as you can imagine in recent years. If we win in Seattle, not only do we go to Dallas, but we send Giants to Green Bay-- and If you recall, they played Seattle that day in a blizzard. Maybe the Giants don't get their ring?

In no particular order, just the ones that immediately come to mind:

--The 1987 NFC Championship Game. If I did make an actual list, this would likely be #1. I remember exactly where I was and exactly how I felt when Darrin Nelson was unable to corral the pass at the goal line on 4th down (no, Darrell Green did NOT deflect the pass). Gibbs dropped to his knees and all Summerall said as the play ended was "and the Redskins are going to the Super Bowl." It wasn't a real pretty game, 17-10 final. But it was a glorious moment.

--One week earlier at Chicago in the bitter cold. The Green punt return game.

I like the way you think kleese.  These two gems immediately sprang to my mind as well.  That playoff run clinched it in my mind that Darrell Green was going to The Hall.  Two plays in particular - That Punt Return in Chicago (HAS to be his Hall Of Fame Signature Moment) & and STICKING Anthony Carter on The Goal Line to send us to The Super Bowl (such an underrated moment.  i never hear many faithful reminisce about it) will stay with me all of my days. Great times. :lol:

1b. 2005 Monday Night Miracle.  All of the good took place in something like 6 minutes at the end of the game.  2 TDs to Moss, and then ST21 with the hit right at the end to preserve the victory.  

4. 2012 opener against New Orleans.  Shock and Awe.  Completely sucker-punched the Saints in New Orleans, which is not an easy place to play.  Unveiled a new style of offense that has kindof taken the NFL by storm.

Of course the Monday Night Miracle.  That game is why a diehard hangs on till its 0:00.  You just never know when you'll see a little magic.

But that New Orleans game (among so many from RGIII's Rookie Year) was a beaut!  All summer I would tell anyone that listened that The Skins had the advantage, cause New Orleans didn't know what to expect.  And then we unleashed that Rookie backfield on 'em!  I just couldn't believe what I was seeing...Man, was that something else.

One of my favorite games in my young fan hood was 2005 against the cowboys. No, not the monday night miracle (though that's up there), but the beatdown we had on them in the midst of our win streak. Mostly cause I was watching with cowboys fans, and the game was being hyped up. It was one of the few times the redskins didn't embarass me in a big game in front of friends. I was able to talk crap to all of them with pride.

Ed, I've often thought about a thread discussing the playoff matches that didn't happen.  Three involving the Cowboys come to mind:

Or what about the seasons or games that could have been? Two come to mind.

1979 - final game of the season, winner wins the division and goes to playoffs, loser goes home. Redskins beating up on Dallas most of the game, yet they have one of their unrealistic miracle comebacks and nip the redskins at the end, 35-34.

but Dallas didn't last long in the playoffs that season. Normally the NFc favorite, this season started their playoff downfall that would continue for awhile in the 80s. Imagine if the redskins could have closed out Dallas . This was the year that NFL title game was Tampa and the LA rams. The Rams won 9-0. I got to think Washington woulda had a shot that year to face Pittsburgh.

1972 - the super bowl. Billy Kilmer and his wobbly passes. Picked off, I think twice IN the endZone in a game that finished 14-7. If George Allen didn't have his strange dislike for the hall of famer on his roster sonny Jorgensen, maybe Washington wins their first title then

Thankfully too many to choose just one. 

I have told my story about the '87 SuperBowl, being in a hotel watching the game with a band from OC playing here in SWFL, who all happened to be Denver fans. The line from that one, one guy wearing a three amigos shirt during the second quarter told me, "Cheer Up" 

The Monday night Miracle, I had just bought a big TV at Costco and had a Dallas fan snicker at me as he helped load it. The line from that one...I finally asked the guy what was so funny, he said "won't it suck when the Cowboys beat the Redskins again", I said, "You know, win or lose when tomorrow comes, I will still have this TV, but you will still be a ****ing Cowboys fan, and that sucks."

The NFCChampionship game where DG returned the ball to get the Skins back in the game was another highlight, of course Riggins infamous run on 4th and 1, the Sean Taylor memories all stick out. Many more, many more, maybe the reason why this current stretch is so painful. 

Not a game story but the day we signed Doug Williams I told my Philly fan roommate friend that the Skins were going to win the SB, he kept riding me when I said and I finally beat 100.00 bucks, he of course assumed the hundo was an easy one, hahhaa. It really pained him to have to hand it over when I returned to OC that spring to collect.....He actually had it waiting for me in his wallet. 

Good times, Great thread, thanks for the break from reality. 

I'd name the 1987 game Williams's second quarter was just legendary.

The entire 1991 season. Its hard to really pick a game, but if I have to, it'd be the NFC Championship game against Detroit. I wasn't worried about beating the Bills, or really the Lions, but it was nice to play against Barry and control him like that. Plus, to be able to see my man Gary Clark have a good game was great.

Then I'll have to add on to that the 1991 Super Bowl where Clark just had a dominant performance and just looked like the Hall of Famer that he's going to one day be.

After that, the Brad Johnson year was memorable including beating up on the Giants early that season to let us know that something special might be happening that year.

During the Marty year, the Lavar pick against Carolina is still memorable to me.

Everybody's going to name the Gibbs II victory against Dallas where everybody entered the game mad that we had just benched Ramsey for Brunell a game earler, and thinking that we were in for a long season. Then we go down 13-0, and its just piling on. But then Brunell completes not 1, but two deep balls to Moss and suddenly we're saying Patrick Who?

There's the SF game under Gibbs II's first playoff run that just felt good, and kinda made us feel like we could be a good team that year.

All those Portis games at the end of that season of Gibbs II's first playoff run

Then the playoff game against Tampa where Taylor just looks dominant and returns that fumble for a TD.

Then in 2012, mainly the Saints game and the Griffining that took over, and then the first Philly game when Griffin had a perfect QB rating, and then the last game of the season where Morris has 200 yards to set the Skins record, and Jackson with the pick.

Archived