Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

#Terps LB Jermaine Carter Jr. was one of 51 players named to the Butkus Award Watch list. Award is give annually to nation's top linebacker

Jermaine Carter had 14.0 TFLs in 2015 - the most for a Maryland MLB since 2x AA E.J. Henderson in 2002

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Click to read the rest. Solid interview.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Terps-OC-Bells-Trying-to-Make-Everyone-Else-Look-Like-Liars-46230111

Terps OC Bell's Trying to Make Everyone Else Look Like Liars

In a Barstool Sports podcast interview with Caleb Pressley, a former UNC quarterback who played in Chapel Hill during Bell's stay there as tight ends coach, Bell talked about recruiting, Maryland's football potential and more. It's a wide-ranging interview, so click the link to listen to the whole thing. Some of the excerpts below:

On Maryland football's potential: "I think we got a couple things going for us. Number one, in the Big Ten we may have the most self-sustaining recruiting footprint in the whole league. Within two hours of our campus there are enough players to win a Big Ten championship. There are a lot of schools that don't have that luxury ... In the DMV, the D.C.-Maryland-Virginia area, within two hours of our campus honestly, there are enough players in our area to win a championship.

"Number two is, because of our relationship with Under Armour and Kevin Plank and the amazing fundraising those guys have done, we're about to move into a $160 million football facility that may be the best facility in all of athletics when it's done. Not college football, not pro football, not premier league soccer. We literally may be moving into the greatest facility in athletics.

On Maryland's new facility: "You're gonna have a world-class indoor facility that's basically carved out of where the old Cole Field House used to be. All glass ceilings, so it's gonna be incredibly efficient in terms of energy. Team meeting rooms, a 26,000-square-foot weight room, you're gonna have three turf  practice fields ... It's gonna be three or four stories tall. There's gonna be a tunnel that actually leaves our locker room under a street and opens up into the stadium.

"All you do in a facility is, you sweat and you work. It's not like you're gonna get better because you're in some magical facility. But I think what it shows is, the tangible, physical proof of how invested in our football program -- and more importantly, how invested we are in the athletes, to making them the best they can be.

"By the end of 2017 we're gonna have the best facility in all of athletics."

• 2 weeks later...

Juco cornerback JC Jackson enrolling at Maryland. Big get for the #Terps: http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Jackson-arriving-at-Maryland-this-week-46406272  via @RyanBartow

Inside the Shell Retweeted Ryan Bartow

Game changer! This kid was slated to start ahead of Jalen Tabor. Him & William Likely would he one helluva combo1f422.png

JC Jackson.... Where do I buy his jersey? Terps just landed a first round talent who is available IMMEDIATELY 1f422.png#FearTheMovement

J.C. Jackson the former Florida CB will have a big year at Maryland if he stays out of trouble. Elite ball player. #Maryland #DBU

All the B1G QBs bull holes just got a lil tight. Likely and Jackson at CB... Better just hand the ball off. 1f422.png#RunWithUsOrRunFromUs

It's gettin scary 1f440.png

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Breaking-Johnny-Jordan-Commits-to-Maryland-46502343

Breaking: Johnny Jordan Commits to Maryland

Less than 20 minutes into its recruiting event, Maryland added a commitment from Gonzaga (D.C.) offensive lineman Johnny Jordan. The three-star rising senior, rated the nation's No. 14 center, committed to Maryland over Boston College, Virginia and Virginia Tech among others.

The Terps, led by assistant coach Aazaar Abdul-Rahim, have made Jordan a big priority over the summer, and with his commitment Maryland adds one of the top lineman in the area.

The Terps now have 13 commits in the 2017 class and with his commitment, have jumped back in the top 25 in the country in the national 247Sports Composite team rankings. Jordan is the ninth-best player in DC and rated an 81 in the 247 database.

• Like 1

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Breaking-Tayon-Fleet-Davis-Commits-to-Maryland-46503175

Breaking: Tayon Fleet-Davis Commits to Maryland

Maryland has added its second commitment of the day after Potomac (Md.) three-star running back Tayon Fleet-Davis announced his commitment. Maryland sealed the deal with Fleet-Davis during his trip with family to campus on Wednesday. One of the staff's top targets at running back, Fleet-Davis previously favored Syracuse but started trending towards Maryland after his teammate -- four-star defensive back Deon Jones -- announced his commitment to the Terrapins.

The 6-foot, 211-pound Davis is a powerful runner rated the No. 38 running back in the country. Maryland's 13th commitment of the 2017 class, he also had offers from Iowa, N.C. State, West Virginia and others. More to come ...

• Like 1

:)

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Breaking-Javon-Leake-Commits-to-Maryland-46504847

Breaking: Javon Leake Commits to Maryland

Terps added their second running back of the day in Page (NC) three-star Javon Leake. Leake, a former UNC lean, committed on his second unofficial visit to Maryland. The Terps did their work behind the scenes to overcome the Tar Heels.

For a while, the Terps were long shots but after hosting him last month, Maryland quietly moved up his list. 

Leake is the eighth best all purpose back and the 20th-best prospect in North Carolina. The Terps have added four commitments since Friday afternoon.

• Like 1

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Heralded-Defensive-Back-Arrives-at-Maryland-46545716    

Heralded Defensive Back Arrives at Maryland

Sources have confirmed to IMS that heralded junior college transfer J.C. Jackson has arrived in College Park. With his transfer paperwork complete, the cornerback from Riverside College (Calif.) is expected to be immediately eligible and to provide an immediate boost to the Terps secondary. A former four-star Florida recruit "described by those close to [Florida[ the program as one of the best pure athletes to come through Florida in years," Jackson's connection to former Maryland coach DJ Durkin -- Florida's former defensive coordinator -- gave the Terps' a connection.

Jackson is a former four-star recruit who signed with Florida in 2014 and was expected to start ahead of former blue-chip Washington recruit Jalen Tabor last season, but was released from the program after legal troubles. He was acquitted of robbery charges last November and recruited by a long list of schools, including Oklahoma, South Carolina, Miami and South Florida, before choosing Maryland after being recruited by Durkin and defensive backs coach Aazaar Abdul-Rahim. He could help shore a Maryland secondary that struggled last season.

Jackson was a four-star prospect, the No. 120 overall recruit in the Class of 2014 and an Under Armour All-American at Immalokee High (Fla.). 

• Like 1

Click to read the rest

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Instant-help-arriving-soon-for-Maryland--46582169

Instant help arriving soon for Maryland

BRADENTON, Fla. - Maryland defensive end Joshua Kaindoh (Bradenton, Fla./IMG Academy) plans to enroll early in January.

He has the goods to be one of the top players on the roster right away.

"I have a good chance to play early and have a big impact," Kaindoh said. "I'll just go in there and work my butt off."

Kaindoh, a Baltimore native, surprised some by picking the Terrapins April 30 over offers from Michigan, Penn State, Notre Dame and two dozen others.

"If I wasn't playing football I would be comfortable there because I'm from there," Kaindoh said. "It's close to home."

Kaindoh said Terrapins coach DJ Durkin and defensive line coach Mike London has the agenda ready for the big-time pass rusher.

"They already have my whole plan worked out," Kaindoh said. "They have all my classes set. I want to go to the NFL and after that I want to go to medical school."

Maryland has the nation's No. 18 recruiting class.

Click to read the rest

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/loaded-with-mcdonalds-all-americans-terps-womens-basketball-heads-to-italy/2016/07/29/9f4aa710-55b2-11e6-b7de-dfe509430c39_story.html#comments

Loaded with McDonald’s all-Americans, Terps women’s basketball heads to Italy

Destiny Slocum, Kaila Charles and Blair Watson each is entering her first year in college, but as the three McDonald’s all-Americans in Maryland’s top-ranked women’s basketball recruiting class, they are being groomed to contribute significantly this season.

That’s why senior Shatori Walker-Kimbrough isn’t referring to them as freshmen. The trio is part of a class that also includes Stephanie Jones, Sarah Myers and Jenna Staiti, all of whom also arrive in College Park with decorated high school résumés.

“We’re not expecting them to play like typical freshmen,” said Walker-Kimbrough, who led Maryland in scoring last season and was named first-team all-Big Ten, “so we’re just calling them new players.”

With seven additions to the roster, including junior point guard Ieshia Small, a transfer from Baylor eligible after sitting out last season per NCAA rules, an impending trip to Italy is especially well timed. Maryland is allowed 10 extra practices during the summer because the team is traveling abroad, and Coach Brenda Frese has been taking full advantage.

• Like 2

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/JC-Jackson-Practicing-with-Terps-Close-to-Being-Admitted-46694272

J.C. Jackson Practicing with Terps, Close to Being Admitted

Heralded junior college transfer J.C. Jackson is still clearing a few administrative enrollment hurdles, but the former University of Florida cornerback is practicing with Maryland's first-team defense and should be good to go soon, head coach DJ Durkin said Wednesday.

"JC has been cleared to practice with us. There's a couple of administrative things going on that hopefully here by today or tomorrow will be finished or at least fully admitted and ready to go," Durkin said. "But J.C.'s doing great for us out here and he's a valued member of the team."

Jackson, a highly sought four-star recruit from Pahokee High (Fla.) in the Class of 2014, was slated to start ahead of former blue-chip recruit Jalen Tabor at Florida last year as a redhsirt freshman, but left the school following off-field turmoil. He was acquitted of robbery charges, though, then enrolled at Riverside College (Fla.) and eventually committed to Maryland over this summer, choosing the Terps over Oklahoma, Miami, South Florida and others. Still, no one at Maryland had publicly confirmed his arrival until today, when Durkin cleared the air on the 5-foot-11, 196-pound cornerback.

Sources told IMS that Durkin's familiarity with Jackson from their time together in Gainesville, where Durkin was defensive coordinator, made him comfortable taking a flyer on the ultra-athletic cornerback. He was successfully vetted through the school's admissions and athletics offices and now appears to be the favorite to start opposite all-Big Ten cornerback William Likely -- a major addition for a shaky-looking defensive backfield.

"I go way back with JC, he and I were together when I was at the University of Florida, so we're very happy to have him and excited about that."

• Like 1

Jeff Fisher, Rams cut Deon Long for having woman in dorm

" A fairly minor Los Angeles Rams transaction became more interesting on Tuesday when it was revealed that coach Jeff Fisher cut Deon Long after the wide receiver brought a woman into his training camp dorm.... "What part of the rules, what part of 'no female guests in the room,' did you not understand?" Fisher asked Long in their meeting, which was shown on the television show."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17262207/los-angeles-rams-cut-deon-long-having-woman-dorm

BTN Bus Tour Heading over to stop #3 #Maryland I have a feeling it will be a high energy practice based on what it was like in the spring.

BTN Camp Tour #Maryland A lot of predictable changes @ today's prac. typical of new staff what I think wil change most is recruiting success

BTN Camp Tour #Maryland Both offensive and defensive lines look to be ahead of some other positions - good to have that in year one.

BTN Camp Tour #Maryland Certainly come away from practice knowing the personality of this program will be "Spread" like Oregon is known for.

• Like 1