Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

What I see in Layman is a guy who is a legit 6'9" with long arms, and can get up and down the floor. I would call him anything but slow. He ran the point on Turgeon's full court press, you don't put a slow guy there.

I compare him to Otto Porter physically. They're the same height, but Layman is a little bigger, and I'd bet just as fast. It also wouldn't surprise me to learn he has better hops than Otto either. Kid is athletic for that size. Porter is a better shooter, a much smoother scorer, and a better ball handler, but Jake does not have horrible handles for a stretch 4 that can slide in a give minutes at the 3.

I think his game translates decently to the more open floor game in the NBA. He's shown that he can flash from the wing or corner and take it strong to the hole, and if he develops a 30+% 3-point shot, it'll make those flashes available.

His make or break is gonna be whether or not he puts in the hustle and effort on defense and on the boards. He's shown that he can do that, but he's also shown that he can flake at times, and rely on others. Can't do that in the League. Gotta man up.

• Like 2

His make or break is gonna be whether or not he puts in the hustle and effort on defense and on the boards. He's shown that he can do that, but he's also shown that he can flake at times, and rely on others. Can't do that in the League. Gotta man up.

This was my beef with Layman going into this season.  He proved to me that his fitness and desire had changed.  I completely agree about banging the boards.  This was something he really wasn't required to do at MD.  However, if he can start hitting around 40% from the NBA arc, no one will care about boards.

• Like 1

Steer clear of concrete walls after watching DJ Durkin's red-faced, jugular-bulging speech: http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/WATCH-DJ-Durkin-Delivers-Fiery-Speech-44862429 

http://maryland.247sports.com/Bolt/Maryland-Cracks-Recruiting-Top-25-for-First-Time-in-Years-44860891

Maryland Cracks Recruiting Top-25 for First Time in Years

Maryland football's recent run has the Terps ranked in the top-25 of the national team recruiting rankings for the first time in recent memory.

Their 2017 class climbed to No. 25 in the 247Sports Composite Rankings on Saturday following the commitment of four-star Baltimore offensive lineman Jordan McNairD.J. Durkin's six-man class includes three four-star commits -- McNair, defensive lineman Cam Spence (IMG Academy.Bradenton, Fla.) and quarterback Kasim Hill (St. John's/D.C.).

After the program's 'DMV to UMD Movement' fizzled under Randy Edsall, Durkin, who was named national recruiter of the year at Florida in 2012, has quickly generated recruiting buzz in talent-gorged area surrounding College Park. Maryland has three of the state's top 10 players committed and remains in the hunt for several more -- including its top two players, DeMatha's Anthony McFarland and Chase Young. Spence, a Baltimore native and the nation's No. 12 defensive tackle, would be ranked No. 5 in Maryland based on his .9228 Composite score.

Speaking of Spence, he addresses a position of need for Maryland, which has been talent-deficient at defensive tackle in recent years. The Terps, though, have added two four-star interior defensive linemen in the past two cycles -- Spence and recently re-enrolled freshman Adam McLean -- and could be poised to end its long-standing drought in recruiting blue-chip defensive ends; the Terps are prime contenders for IMG Academy's Joshua Kaindoh, a Baltimore native, and DeMatha's Young. They're rated the No. 1 and No. 4 weakside defensive ends in the nation, respectively.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

• 2 weeks later...

Kaindoh named a Top-4 recently but UMD wasn't in it.  Not that it means much at this stage.

The buzz is that he's trying to throw people off.

Suppose to commit next week.

#Maryland is in the mix to sign the nation's top defensive line class beginning with Top247 DT Cam Spence: http://247sports.com/Article/Cam-Spence-first-piece-to-potential-special-Maryland-DL-class-45001891  #Terps

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Yep, how could we ever compete in that power conference.

I don't know who was saying that, but I'm pretty sure they were only referring to football.  Everyone knew MD basketball would be a top program in the Big 10 for both men and women, and anyone who follows smaller college sports like soccer and lacrosse knew you would compete.  The only sport where Maryland has truly gotten their asses handed to them has been wrestling, and I think I'm probably about one of 10 people in the mid atlantic area that actually follows the sport, so that barely counts.

I don't know who was saying that, but I'm pretty sure they were only referring to football.  Everyone knew MD basketball would be a top program in the Big 10 for both men and women, and anyone who follows smaller college sports like soccer and lacrosse knew you would compete.  The only sport where Maryland has truly gotten their asses handed to them has been wrestling, and I think I'm probably about one of 10 people in the mid atlantic area that actually follows the sport, so that barely counts.

MD has a LONG ways to go to be a player in Football.  All the other comments are kind of silly at this point.  MD is not a football program.  I hope all this recruiting leads to actual presence in the college football ranks not just an invite to the food lion dollar city piggly wiggly bowl.

MD has a LONG ways to go to be a player in Football.  All the other comments are kind of silly at this point.  MD is not a football program.  I hope all this recruiting leads to actual presence in the college football ranks not just an invite to the food lion dollar city piggly wiggly bowl.

It's likely MD will NEVER be a player in football.  There may be the occasional, temporary rise to excellence.  There are many schools that take football very seriously who never get a whiff of consistent success.  That includes the entire SEC, save a couple, the entire Big 12, save a couple, half of the Big 10, half the Pac 10, half the ACC.  MD is realistically a top 40 program.  Miles to go.

I think many here are too young to remember, but, prior to Lefty coming, Maryland was first and foremost a football school.

Even in the late 70's and early to mid 80s with Claiborne and Bobby Ross, the Terps were routinely in and around the top 20.

Lefty changed that culture, and Maryland has embraced that. I think it's much easier to be good in basketball quickly, especially when you have such fertile recruiting ground locally.

As an old timer, I would like nothing more than to see the Terps back as players in football, consistently going to good bowl games, and contending for B1G titles. Sure, with UM and OSU in the same division it'll be super tough, but the DMV puts out tons of players each year, and the B1G provides a better recruiting "persona" for football than the ACC.

This is doable. It'll just take time, money, and the right person. I hope DJ is that person, and he gets the full support of the administration. UA money should help.

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1

I think many here are too young to remember, but, prior to Lefty coming, Maryland was first and foremost a football school.

Even in the late 70's and early to mid 80s with Claiborne and Bobby Ross, the Terps were routinely in and around the top 20.

I think Fridge brought the Terps closer to prominence than Ross or Claiborne.  Ross may have been the best of the 3, but got caught up in the post Bias destruction of MD athletics. He won a national championship elsewhere.  Fridge was the best coach of the 3, Ross the best recruiter.  

I think Fridge brought the Terps closer to prominence than Ross or Claiborne.  Ross may have been the best of the 3, but got caught up in the post Bias destruction of MD athletics. He won a national championship elsewhere.  Fridge was the best coach of the 3, Ross the best recruiter.  

No way.  Bobby Ross had this team in better position than any football coach at MD.  And you know what happened, MD gave him the big middle finger.

Fridge took another coaches players and won with it, then his own recruits got worse and worse.  Fridge had the benefit of lots of ****ty bowl opps that people don't care about.  Ross had us in the top 20 consistently.

No way.  Bobby Ross had this team in better position than any football coach at MD.  And you know what happened, MD gave him the big middle finger.

Fridge took another coaches players and won with it, then his own recruits got worse and worse.  Fridge had the benefit of lots of ****ty bowl opps that people don't care about.  Ross had us in the top 20 consistently.

You say "no way" then proceed to agree with everything I wrote.   Fridge did well with his own recruits, albeit not as well as he did with the 1st class.  He was not a stellar recruiter.  

The ACC was a very poor conference when Ross was with MD.  It's tough to judge exactly how good he was.  3 ACC titles equaled 3 straight uppermiddle bowl appearances.  I think Ross did as well as he could at MD.  He had to leave to get better.

As I said earlier, I think many of you are too young to know/remember, but Jerry Claiborne was a fantastic coach.

In his ten years of service, the Terps never finished worse than 3rd in the ACC, and never had a losing ACC record. They only posted one overall losing record (4-6-1) during that stretch. They went to 7 bowl games, the most of ANY UMD coach, including the Cotton Bowl in 1976 season, where they came in undefeated, with an outside chance at a national title. their #8 finish in the AP poll that year was the highest final ranking for a Terp team since the Jim Tatum glory years...when they WERE a national power.

• Like 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/40-basketball-players-one-picture-and-a-lifetime-of-memories/2016/04/27/a87e6408-fdb9-11e5-80e4-c381214de1a3_story.html

Terps bball winning off the field. 

Good story, good kids. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disappointed and surprised Carter hired an agent. If he improved his blocking out and defensive awareness, he might have been a 1st rounder next year. Really counted on him coming back. 

Hope Melo comes back and with a healthy hammy, wins the Wooden. 

Edited by Why am I Mr. Pink?
  • Like 1