Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

California (high school) baseball team sent home from playoffs over Wiffle ball batting practice

codeorama

Matt, Totally agree with you, not disputing.  Just saying that in HS and lower, most of the kids have issues with timing.  That's why the Curveball and CHange up are so devastating at that level.  The tee is awesome for working on swing mechanics, even the pros do that more than anything, but the timing of when to load and start your swing is a killer for some kids.

PleaseBlitz, I ask the same question. IN our district, they say the kids can only use eyeblack in a single straight line. No "warrior style' ala Bryce Harper. Its nuts. I think people just make stuff up.

No like I said, hitting a wiffle ball definitely helps, how much I don't really know. I just don't think it's enough of an advantage to make a team forefit. Obviously someone throwing a wiffle ball from their knees isn't going to be able to throw as hard as someone throwing a baseball at you in BP.

What I don't understand is why they can have soft toss and hit from a tee, but not hit a wiffle ball?

Right. And I'm not really trying to defend the rule...only that it is a rule and should be followed like all other rules. 

Baseball is the founding sport in America, sure it's not my favorite (anymore) and not the most popular, but damn it, its a foundation, cornerstone of America.  It's a sport/game most young boys learn to play at a very young age.  It's a beautiful game, mainly because of its simplicity.  

And its the simplicity that makes it fun.  Not all the crazy rules and guidelines that have taken over.  You grab a glove and a ball and bat, go out and play within the rules of the game.  It's sad that the world has come to this, creating more and more rules because more and more people complain.  

And with the pussification of America, those rules are then established.  God forbid if someone's kid or kids team just isn't really that good or on the same level.  Play the game, quit complaining about **** and for the love of God, quit pretending like everything is an episode of Law and Order where you are looking for loopholes and a way around things.  

I know by definition that it was a rule.  But the coach filming it on his cell phone and not speaking up about it while it occurred or before the game screams he had no intention other than to use that in his favor should his team lose the game.  

Instead of simplifying the rules, they will probably just add another one saying you can't record other teams practices without consent.  If anything, they should make a new by-law that you have to report the action to the umpire immediately when you see it happen.  And that once the first pitch is thrown, too late, the outcome of the game cannot and will not be changed.

How do you "exploit" face paint?  Serious question.

Juggalos.jpg

The ruling wasn't about eye black. Teenage girls would paint images on their faces as part of 'team spirit'. The claim at the time was that Southern California gangs had girls wearing gang signs as part of their face painting.

There are also regulations regarding color of undergarments matching and being consistent with the team colors. One of these days I'll stop a college game and demand that both teams lift up their skirts so that I can make sure that they are in compliance.

And for those complaining about strange rules, let's be clear that they are there because enough ADs get together to demand that NFHS adopt them.

The coach is a turd for acting like he did, unless the other team refused to stop practice.

There are lots of rules in high school sports that seem ridiculous. One in girls field hockey regarding banning certain types of 'jewelry' and face paint was introduced specifically because it was being exploited by gangs. Seriously.

Hold on.....

Schools with gang members play field hockey?

Right. And I'm not really trying to defend the rule...only that it is a rule and should be followed like all other rules. 

I agree that it should be followed, just think it's strange that 1) the team wasn't warned 1st and 2) that they can hit off a tee and have soft toss

Hold on.....

Schools with gang members play field hockey?

It surprised me too. I don't know California school districts to have an idea whether any of these are in areas where gangs are a major issue:

Archbishop Mitty
Bella Vista
Bishop
Bishop's
Bonita Vista
Branham
Canyon Crest Academy
Carmel
Cathedral Catholic
Chico
Christopher
Chula Vista
Clairemont
Corning
Cupertino
Davis
Davis
Del Mar
Del Norte
Eastlake
El Cajon Valley
El Capitan
Escondido
Fallbrook
Gilroy
Granite Hills
Helix
Hilltop
Homestead
Huntington Beach
La Costa Canyon
La Jolla
Lassen
Leigh
Leland
Live Oak
Los Altos
Los Gatos
Lynbrook
Madison
Mar Vista
Mira Mesa
Mission Bay
Mission Hills
Mission Vista
Monta Vista
Monterey
Morse
Mt. Carmel
North Salinas
Notre Dame
Otay Ranch
Patrick Henry
Pleasant Valley
Point Loma
Poway
Presentation
Prospect
Rancho Bernardo
Rancho Buena Vista
River Valley
San Dieguito Academy
San Jose
San Marcos
San Pasqual
Santa Catalina
Santana
Saratoga
Scripps Ranch
Serra
Sobrato
Southwest
St. Francis
St. Ignatius
Stevenson
Torrey Pines
University City
Valhalla
Valley Center
Vista
Westmont
Westview
Willow Glen
York
Yuba City

But as in other rules around player appearance, the rule may have been inherited from other sports that are played in schools with serious gang issues.

It surprised me too. I don't know California school districts to have an idea whether any of these are in areas where gangs are a major issue:

But as in other rules around player appearance, the rule may have been inherited from other sports that are played in schools with serious gang issues.

After I posted that, it dawned on me that it could have been a carryover from football. I know in the 90s, California had a problem with gang beefs carrying over to the football field.

Archived