Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maya Angelou passes at the age of 86... (CNN)

CrypticVillain

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/maya-angelou-obit/

(CNN) -- Maya Angelou, a renowned poet, novelist and actress whose work defied description under a simple label, has died, her literary agent, Helen Brann, said Wednesday.

She died at her home in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Brann said.

A professor, singer and dancer, Angelou's work spans several professions. In 2011, President Barack Obama awarded her with the Medal of Freedom, the country's highest civilian honor.

Man, I knew she was sick, and I knew she was old, but it still sucks.

I loved her poetry and the way she delivered her poetry. Easily one of the most inspirational people in my life.

I still remember the first time I heard this. I was like, man this old lady is rapping and she sounds good. She had me right then and there. lol

Of course, her greatest accomplishment is being the first African American female hired to conduct a San Francisco Cable Car.   :P

"She became a poet and writer after a series of occupations as a young adult, including fry cook, prostitute, night-club dancer and performer, cast-member of the opera Porgy and Bess, coordinator for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, and journalist in Egypt and Ghana during the days of decolonization. She was an actor, writer, director, and producer of plays, movies, and public television programs. Since 1982, she taught at Wake Forest University in Winston-SalemNorth Carolina, where she holds the first lifetime Reynolds Professorship of American Studies. She was active in the Civil Rights movement, and worked with Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X. Since the 1990s she made around eighty appearances a year on the lecture circuit, something she continued into her eighties. In 1993, Angelou recited her poem "On the Pulse of Morning" at President Bill Clinton's inauguration, the first poet to make an inaugural recitation since Robert Frost at John F. Kennedy's inauguration in 1961."

What a fascinating, difficult and ultimately inspiring life she had.  "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" truly is a must-read.  

Of course, her greatest accomplishment is being the first African American female hired to conduct a San Francisco Cable Car.   :P

"She became a poet and writer after a series of occupations as a young adult, including fry cook, prostitute, night-club dancer and performer, cast-member of the opera Porgy and Bess, coordinator for the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, and journalist in Egypt and Ghana during the days of decolonization. She was an actor, writer, director, and producer of plays, movies, and public television programs. Since 1982, she taught at Wake Forest University in Winston-SalemNorth Carolina, where she holds the first lifetime Reynolds Professorship of American Studies. She was active in the Civil Rights movement, and worked with Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X. Since the 1990s she made around eighty appearances a year on the lecture circuit, something she continued into her eighties. In 1993, Angelou recited her poem "On the Pulse of Morning" at President Bill Clinton's inauguration, the first poet to make an inaugural recitation since Robert Frost at John F. Kennedy's inauguration in 1961."

What a fascinating, difficult and ultimately inspiring life she had.  "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings" truly is a must-read.

yeah, her life was amazing.

I remember reading the Autobiography of Malcolm X and when Malcolm went to Egypt, he talked about running into Maya Angelou (she was married to an Egyptian man at the time). She wasnt a huge literary figure at that point, but the fact that she was there was amazing.

"While I know myself as a creation of God, I am also obligated to realize and remember that everyone else and everything else are also God's creation."

"I know that when I pray, something wonderful happens. Not just to the person or persons for whom I'm praying, but also something wonderful happens to me. I'm grateful that I'm heard."

-Maya Angelou

May You Rest In Peace Miss Maya

Archived