Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congrats to Union College Hockey

Xameil

I know there aren't many college hockey fans on here, and this may not be the place for this, but this isn't just any win....and if this should be closed, then I respect that. Last night Union College...a small little college in Schenectady, NY, founded in 1785 and has its own place in American history (and my alma mater) played for its first time since it was a D1 hockey team in 1991 in the frozen four final against Minnesota. This was a David and Goliath game. Minnesota, a school with 31000 + students who give out scholarships for hockey and had 16 players who have been drafted by NHL teams and 5 national titles, played against Union College; a 2200 student population, no scholarships allowed, 1 player drafted to an NHL team and only 3 trips to the frozen four.

After 3 very well played periods for both sides, Union triumphed with a final score of 7-4 for the first national title in Union history. So...CONGRATS UNION!!!! You deserve and earned every minute of it.

I just wanted to share my excitement with my ES family, and share this story with some who may not follow hockey, let alone college hockey.

How good was that game?

You could tell in the first when Minnesota scored that zero angle goal they looked like "maybe we don't belong here".  Then in the blink of an eye they were up 4-2.

Great coaching job and very good effort by those kids.  I like seeing non-powerhouses win in the frozen four.  They were an easy team to root for.

Dang, that's a small college. I'm pretty sure we had more students at our High School. How in the heck did they manage this feat?

Heart, drive, perseverance, an amazing team effort...who knows...I just know that it was an amazing game and tremendous season for them..

How good was that game?

You could tell in the first when Minnesota scored that zero angle goal they looked like "maybe we don't belong here".  Then in the blink of an eye they were up 4-2.

Great coaching job and very good effort by those kids.  I like seeing non-powerhouses win in the frozen four.  They were an easy team to root for.

It was absolutely amazing....after watching them every home game for my four years there and seeing how bad they were to what they have been the past few seasons...it's amazing

That game was better than every Capitals game this year and that's not an exaggeration.  The first period alone was ridiculous.  I'm glad NCAA hockey is getting on TV more, now on NBCSN routinely.  It's cool seeing guys like Gustav Nyquist who I saw play back when he was at Maine...or Chris Kreider or Jimmy Hayes etc. 

It was a fun game to watch and I'm glad to see that title go to a ECAC team for a second year in a row.  

And Xameil, you got to see Union put a whooping on my team 3 times this year (Dartmouth).  It's good to see the ECAC get more competitive, but it's tough when your team can't keep up!

It was a fun game to watch and I'm glad to see that title go to a ECAC team for a second year in a row.  

And Xameil, you got to see Union put a whooping on my team 3 times this year (Dartmouth).  It's good to see the ECAC get more competitive, but it's tough when your team can't keep up!

I feel your pain...I was at Union when they just went D1....it was painful. I knew a lot of the players too...so I felt their pain as well.

What made it even more sweet, and I think this goes for any ECAC team is it's cool to see a school with no scholarships given for sports beat a school that does give scholarships to their athletes.

I feel your pain...I was at Union when they just went D1....it was painful. I knew a lot of the players too...so I felt their pain as well.

What made it even more sweet, and I think this goes for any ECAC team is it's cool to see a school with no scholarships given for sports beat a school that does give scholarships to their athletes.

Not only were there no scholarships, but only 2,200 students to choose from. My high school had more than that and we couldn't even field a full roster.

Not only were there no scholarships, but only 2,200 students to choose from. My high school had more than that and we couldn't even field a full roster.

But keep in mind...they recruited these players. No scholarships, but they were recruited. It's not like these were current student body. They are recruited to play hockey. That being said, at least when I was there, they had to meet the same academic standards to remain there, and Union has some pretty high standards. It may be listed as a liberal arts school, but the engineering and science departments are quite good. Both have close ties to GE, GE corporate research and development, as well as Schenectady International ( a large chemical company).

Archived