Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier's State of The Union

TK

Lets do it, now all of us have to live or die by the fun and gun :)

Did anyone else notice that Danny gave him the okay to get DW!!! Sounds like they kissed and made up. I can see it now after Spurrier's show Synder called him and said you don't like Rob?? Spurrier said he must go, and now I don't care if you take a guy off the street instead of him, hahahahhaha.

GO SKINS GO SPURRIER

I have noticed a difference in him lately, glad he is going back to the oldself :cheers:

:dallasuck :dallasuck

Ramsey and Coles are licking their chops now.

Spurrrier's doing his best Terminator impression..... willing to be lowered into the molten metal vat yet has his thumb raised defiantly.

This is EXACTLY the attitude we need going into Dallas. We're going throw everything in our system at you.... play our way.... and dare you to beat us!!!!!!!!!

I have mixed emotions after reading this.

I would love to see this offense explode like we all know it's capable of. However, I think the reason that it hasn't exploded is because of the lack of blocking and penalties. That is not going to change because of play calling.

I have been ready to post about the death of the Fun N Gun (FNG) for a few weeks now, but not in a negative way. I thought Spurrier was learning. Learning what it takes to win in the NFL. I thought he was evolving his offense into a whole new offense that wasn't the FNG, but a hybrid that would work against the faster NFL defenses. I was ready to see success, but point out that it was not the FNG; the new East Coast Offense. Now, it looks as though he is not patient enough to see his evolution through to fruition.

To me, it sounds like Spurrier is saying "If I'm going to go down, I'm going down my way". That's noble and exhibits an admirable fighting spirit, but it is still conceding defeat.

I do think this team is very well equipped at QB and WR to run an NFL FNG offense, and it definitely would be awesome to see. I just don't think it can happen without better blocking.

Nail on the head there Wally.

Yeah, sure, this article is uplifting. It give a positive vibe. I too would like to see an offense that suddenly takes the NFL by strorm. But if we could do it, wouldn't our skins have done it already????

I think this is bad news. A pass first offense cannot work in the nfl. Ball control does. Keeping there D on the field. Running at them and tiring them out so in the 4th, it's like a knife through hot butter. I was thinking we'd finish strong, 7-2....and make the playoffs at 10-6. Now I'm thinking Snyder has just given Spurrier the green light to do it his way that way when the crash and burn happens, Snyder doesn't seem so bad for firing Steve in a couple months. :doh:

I hope Spurrier makes an a$$ out of me and my comments.

Originally posted by bigzak25

I hope Spurrier makes an a$$ out of me and my comments.

So do I.

I just remembered something else I wanted to say. Over the last couple of weeks the team's play more and more reminded me of the Norv years. My optimistic side kept telling my pessimistic side that the difference is that Spurrier has shown his ability to adapt and change.

Now, it looks like that is changing. The head coach just said "What we do works".

Prove me wrong Skins. For the love of God, prove me wrong.

Ramsey better invest in a good flak jacket, cause if we're gonna throw a lot more, hes gonna get nailed a lot more.

Up to now the little bit of rushing we had was keeping some heat off of him in play action situations, now everyone is just gonna pin their ears back and come after him.

Count me with Mr. G3 on this one. I had hoped that SOS had learned his lesson about the importance of running the ball in the NFL. I think he mis-interpreted what everyone has been saying about his system.

Nobody ever said he has to run it 40 times a game in order to win. All they were saying was that you have to run the ball enough to wear down the opposing defense, give your defense enough time to rest and your offensive line a chance to block the opposing DL.

If we couldn't keep opposing DL's off Ramsey for the short stuff, what makes him think that we're going to be able to keep him upright for the long passes ?

OTOH, it may be that what we've been seeing as SOS' seemingly stilted and unnatural playcalling is actually him trying to conform to a style that doesn't work for him.

Who knows ? At this point we could go out and beat the cowpukes 34-0 or lose the same way and I'd not be surprised at either. Go figure.

At the risk of Mark P. throwing an illegal procedure flag on me, :silly: , I'm going to post this from another thread. It seems to be relevant to the discussion at hand.

Okay. Brief check. I'll stand corrected if I went too fast looking into this, (TGIF ). Note: Just teams with winning records.

There are currently 12 teams in the NFL with better than .500 records. Of those 12, 7 have a higher passing to running ratio.

Seattle, (division leader), Rams, Tennessee, Indianapolis, ( division leader), Denver, (+2), New England, ( Division leader), and Buffalo, (we know where their rushes came from. ).

Kansas City has a + 6 run to pass .

:cheers:

And I'm going to quote S.S. again because it too, is relevant I think. What the Article said: "

Spurrier promised that his return to his coaching roots doesn't mean abandoning the running game. Spurrier's best teams at Florida blended passing plays and running plays well, and the Redskins used tailbacks Trung Canidate and Ladell Betts effectively during their 3-1 beginning this season. But he said he also wants to attack defenses with long passes rather than using short dump-offs to Coles and fellow wide receiver Rod Gardner. Spurrier insisted that the style of play can work in the NFL, citing the St. Louis Rams as his model" Okay. Check out the first few sentences and try again.

What he actually said can be found here:

Down the page a ways.

And of course this: " Football is very simple to the fans: If you throw the ball and throw a nice completion downfield, that's good. If the quarterback gets bumped and hit while you've got a guy open downfield and they intercept it, then that's a bad call. You're only as good as the play call and the execution of your players. If the play goes bad, it was a bad call -- even though it might have been a pretty good call. That's just the way it is, and we accept it and move on."

:cheers:

I think this article is great in many ways but it's all what you believe and take from it.

I sincerely hope that any differences between Snyder and Spurrier have been mended and that the Dan is groveling at OBC's feet for all the bullsh*t medai reports that have come out. I would like to hear Snyder make a statement backing his coach through the end of next season.

What I love best about this is that I think he is 100% full of sh*t about opening up the pass more. I thinks it's a little OBC :evil: trickery to see if he can catch Parcells taking an easy way out to prepare hard for a huge passing attack. Then it's up the gut with Canidate and Sultan. I think it's a great idea if I am correct. He won't catch Parcells napping but hey, that's getting back to being that arrogant a*s that we hired to coach our team..

GO SOS GO!!!!

THROW DEEP!!!!!!!!!!

The good part about Spurrier going back to the vertical passing game is his attitude and enthusiasm about it. He has been moping around the past few weeks, acting like he doesn't know what to do to cure the team's problems. A big part of coaching is motivation of the team, and his new attitude is going to help that a lot, plus he seems to have Snyder's confidence now, and he seemed unsure about that before. He needs to get back to his roots and do what he does best.

spurrier-vs-uga.jpg

Go #11!

I've seen Spurrier play smash mouth, pass mostly to the TE and use the FNG. IMO he prides himself in being unpredictable. I think he'll stick to the run in certain games, but if he doesn't have the horses at RB, he'll pass long quite frequently.

Deep down he's as bold as they come, still being one step ahead of many DC's. Please be patient with him. Win or lose, he almost always makes it fun to watch. He just needs the horses up front to be consistent.

Archived