Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offense Is So Close To Being A Juggernaut

Warhead36

and some people make stuff up. I haven't heard anyone blame Griffin for this one. I've heard people say he had a bad one against Denver. I've heard people say he wasn't himself at the beginning this year. I've heard people say he has some developing to do before he is in the elite tierof qbs in this lleague. but I haven't heard anyone blame him for Minnesota.

Don't remember the poster, but someone had the nerve to put this on Robert.

Fix the O line, add another receiving threat to go along with Garcon and Reed.  The offense did enough to win...  as said here, the interior O line is suspect and well....save this for another thread but the Defense STINKS! (mostly the secondary, and those not named Kerrigan, Orakpo and Cofield) The only real stud of those three is Kerrigan.  I'm not sure how I feel about the coaching staff...I think Kyle gets more guff and grief than deserved. Mike I've never liked that much but you could do a lot worse. coach Has, iffy but he doesn't have a whole lot to work with and...special teams horrible.

The offense is fine. We have

A stud RB

A stud QB

A stud WR

A stud TE

We need stud Olineman.

The Skins had targeted some lineman in the 2012 free agency season (Ben Grubbs, Davin Joseph) however Mara's penalty scrapped those plans.

I'm excited to see who the Redskins can sign without Mara's cap penalty in 2014.

We are in desperate need of a solid OL. Every time RGIII goes back to pass, I'm afraid he's going to get his block knocked off. During the game on Thursday, I saw purple jerseys in the backfield from "go" throughout the second half.

Football games are won in the trenches. If you have good blocking, it makes it easier to have good passing and running.

The offense needs a good, dependable yac guy to go opposite of Garcon, and some interior o-lineman. The draft seems to have given us zilch in regards to lineman, so FA should be where they address it. Not sure, between offense and defense, how many guys you can afford to sign/re-sign in one offseason though.

Not sure why so many refuse to place some blame on the offense in the Minnesota game. My main issue was the effort in the 2nd half. In today's NFL you must put teams away by continuing to build the lead; this did not and has not happened in games this year. That's why I consider this offense good and not elite at this point (close to being elite though). 

Must mention that the defense was atrocious and probably was there worst display this year.

As I sit here watching the Saints/Cowboys game, I try to vision what it would take for the offense to be close to what they do.

Their main weapon is Jimmy Graham and Drew Brees; outside of that its mostly role guys who play better than expected.

Motivation to put your best effort on the field seems to be an issue; focus is lacking in the WR corp; Reed COULD be the future but i'm not counting my eggs just yet, because I've been snake-bitten by people who underperform like Davis, Hankerson, Morgan, and insert whoever you wish from there.

People keep mentioning how the Redskins are ranked high in certain stats; but they're skewed, mainly from the first 3-5 weeks of the season where opponents led by 25+ points, and 2nd half was clock chewing, playing the ball more, which turned into junk yardage.

I just hope that WHOEVER the receiver they may add is tall, can run, and can catch; can't be that hard being other teams seem to find them...

What killed us against Minnesota was red zone offense. We had to settle for field goals twice.

The first time we had to settle because Kyle called a straight handoff on 1st and goal from the 1. That is the worst call in the NFL for us. We need to go playaction roll out when that happens and Robert will either walk in or have 3 wide open receivers. Teams sell out to stop the run in that situation. 

Instead, Kyle goals playaction on 2nd and goal, a play that the entire world saw coming, and all of the sudden it's 3rd down. 

With RG III's legs and Reed's size/athleticism, our red zone offense should be top 3 in the league. 

The question is, do you stay with the same staff. 

Because there's a REAL chance of 10 not staying beyond his rookie contract if you do. 

Hail. 

The implication that RG3 has shown anything that he is capable of being a dropback passer 100%. The kid is what he is. There's a pretty REAL chance that 10 is not going to live up to his draft pick if he is forced to play a more traditional offense.

A problem that I see that prevents juggernautness, is that our short game is lame.

We are not built to run the ball for short yardage. We just aren't. We know why. Mike and his preferences for his OL.

So we can't pound Morris up the gut on 3rd and goal from the 1.  No QB sneaks attempted again this year, is an obvious sign of a team weakness.  Kyle has to get creative just to run for 1 yd!  Enter Helu, Enter Young. And enter head scratching play calls at times. "Why did we run wide, we only need a yd" type stuff.

To overcome the flaw in our OL when running, we must be able to pass the ball for 3yds. Moss is no Welker though. We are just not polished enough in our offense, to do that consistently. I don't even see slants called much. Our WRs get no respect, they get jammed, so Kyle has to get creative in the short passing game. Run picks, run a guy across to get open, or go to intermediate routes.  So our plays even in our short game, takes time.

The problem is that we don't have time in the pocket, and RG3 is not a pocket guy. Kyle thinks you shouldn't have to roll out on 3rd and short and I understand this. So his calls lead to Robert holding the ball, exposing our A gap failures, which hurts his confidence. People think RG3 is locked on. He is waiting for the damn long slow developing play call to happen. Teams are coming with the run blitz. Converting 3rd comes down to Robert making tough throws. While we do convert on third downs, it just seems its so complex to do so.

It makes our offense inconsistent when we have no go to 3rd and 1 simple play. Kyle scrambling around in his playbook, may be because he has to.

To become a juggernaut, we need to decide if we want Robert square pegged into the pocket. I personally hope not. But if that is a priority, we need to rebuild our OL to become a jug like Denver, New Orleans, etc.

If not, then we need to let RG3 use his legs in the passing game more.

Archived