Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offense Is So Close To Being A Juggernaut

Warhead36

This goes for EVERYONE on the team. When you're 3-6, AGAIN, NOBODY is beyond blame. Each unit deserves criticism. Some admittedly more than others. But the offense second half is FAR from beyond reproach. 

Hail. 

Yeah, but people treat Kyle like he's the second coming of John Shoop.  We'll be at the top of the league in O again this year, but people whine about anything.

Carlos' "stone hands", Hank's "drops", Kyle's "idiocy".  All trends that are/were way out of control.

We lost, and we aren't a very good football team right now.  It's frustrating, and like most fans, I wish we had a few more pieces in place to work with.  But grown men running around and pouting like a bunch of sixteen girls who got felt up at the prom after every single loss we go through is tiresome at best.

I love the X's and O's chats on here, and the generally good natured banter.  I still think ES is the best sports site on the net.

Maybe I should read more and post less.  Or maybe I should read less, and post less. :)

Offense AND defense has some very nice pieces!! Just need a couple coaches who can get the best from both.. I hope the next head coach at least holds his staff and players accountable.. Just clean up the sloppy, stupid penalties and get a couple coordinators who can make "positive" adjustments when needed and I'll be a pig in poo.. Oh and someone who can teach and manage a clock.. That's all "I" ask.. Better coaching and this team makes the next step, imo..

The offense has shown the ability to be dynamic for spurts or even halves but rarely carries it through an entire game.

Tonight was a switch as the offense most games struggles in the first half and plays better in the second. Tonight was the polar opposite.

In the end the stats for RGIII, Garcon, Reed and Morris look great and the offense had zero turnovers. Despite that they scored 3 points to open the second half and NOTHING for the rest of the game. Stats are great but points are what matters in the end.

One glaring thing still missing from the offense is the lack of a deep passing game. Tonight the Skins didn't even attempt to go deep which is hard to believe. Deep passes just a couple times per game at least loosen up the defense and open up more lanes for Morris and the short/intermediate passing game.

The offense has shown the ability to move the ball but still stuggles to finish drives with TD's.

And while long, time consuming drives are great, this offense needs to add the deep pass, quick score dynamic to reach it's full potential...

And while long, time consuming drives are great, this offense needs to add the deep pass, quick score dynamic to reach it's full potential...

I agree.  I respect the fact that we have a great running game, but it seems to me that the score is still 7-7 if you take 8 minutes off the clock running the ball to score, and the other team takes 4 off passing the ball.  What are you really gaining, by eating clock in that situation?  The game is still close.    

In order to win with a predominate running attack you have to have a defense that get get off the field.  We don't have that.  

Ugh, I thought the one positive of this game would be the lack of blame Robert took.

He's coming back from surgery and had three great games out of the last four. We have bigger fish to fry.

It won't stop. Just accept it and move on. Robert was the least of our problems today. The difference was penalty yards, uncalled penalties and bogus spots. The game was taken from us. Simple.

The offense has shown the ability to be dynamic for spurts or even halves but rarely carries it through an entire game.

Tonight was a switch as the offense most games struggles in the first half and plays better in the second. Tonight was the polar opposite.

In the end the stats for RGIII, Garcon, Reed and Morris look great and the offense had zero turnovers. Despite that they scored 3 points to open the second half and NOTHING for the rest of the game. Stats are great but points are what matters in the end.

One glaring thing still missing from the offense is the lack of a deep passing game. Tonight the Skins didn't even attempt to go deep which is hard to believe. Deep passes just a couple times per game at least loosen up the defense and open up more lanes for Morris and the short/intermediate passing game.

The offense has shown the ability to move the ball but still stuggles to finish drives with TD's.

How can you go deep when the O-line cant man up (outside of Trent, he is a boss) with most of the D-lines we see? How can a QB execute a 5 step drop when his guards and tackles are getting pushed into his face 1.5 seconds from the snap. We don't have the personel. Every time we try to execute a deep post or go route there is a blanket party happening in the backfield.

I agree that the play calling sucks, but getting guys open is important.  Unfortunately, our QB zones in on one guy and doesn't see the field.  This works when the defense is pathetic, like the Vikings.  However, take a look at the poor lob pass to Morgan on the sideline from Griffin today.  He looked that way, never made a second read, and decided to throw a danger pass to the sideline.  Meanwhile, he had Reed over the top down the middle wide open.  Every game the announcers point out a wide open receiver he missed.  While I agree we need to run more in the second half, we also need a QB who sees the field and RG3 is not it.  I honestly think we should see what Cousins has after our 8th loss, when it is all but decided that the year is over.  Otherwise, we continue to blindly commit to a player that is a great athlete and an awesome human being, but a so-so NFL quarterback.

Are you being serious or is this sarcasm? If you're serious, to be honest EVERY QB misses reads in a gane EVERY week!!! But you know what, I won't say anything else other than I disagree with you. A few of these losses is NOT on RG3.

I was hoping for T Williams in the 3rd round but Jordan Reed is a good consolation .. but I do think we need upgrades there - I think that is obvious .

I know there is reported friction between the HC and RGIII but that is massivly overblown by media looking for blood in the water - Almost every QB in the history of football anywhere is going to have periods when the relationship between the HC or OC it is simply the nature of the position .

The offense is fine.  We have 

A stud RB

A stud QB

A stud WR

A stud TE

We need stud Olineman.

That would be Trent ;)

But in all seriousness we desperately need Guards that don't get bulldozed on every blitz.

And I'm actually seeing people blame Griff for the loss. My Lord. 

Not sure what game they watched.  Considering the pressure RGIII was under, I thought he played outstanding.  The Vikings blitzing in the 2nd half was killing you guys.  RGIII seemed to take a hit every other play and there was nothing he could do about it.

we need at least 2 o-lineman, plus 2 receivers

C and RT. I am actually OK with going with Chester for one more year. Monty has regressed horribly and Polumbus was always terrible.

I think we only need one receiver. I like Hank as a 3rd WR/possession guy -- a Jabar Gaffney type.

We need more help on the other side of the ball...

Those drive ending sacks we took in the 3rd and 4th quarter were the difference.  A bit more power up front, and this offense is good enough to beat anyone.

The defense is another story.

pretty much the jist of it.  The offense is another top flight wide receiver opposite Garcon, and a shored up interior 0-line from being as good as anybody in the league.  There are times when you can literally see what we are missing right in front of you.  

The defense has similar deficiencies, but I don't see a scheme for success on defense.  I don't see a coach that knows how to adjust or motivate his guys.  

Again, when push comes to absolute shove.  They cannot hold.

Not sure what game they watched.  Considering the pressure RGIII was under, I thought he played outstanding.  The Vikings blitzing in the 2nd half was killing you guys.  RGIII seemed to take a hit every other play and there was nothing he could do about it.

the biggest difference in the second half on offense was Robert was being sacked or chased out of the pocket.  The interior o-line is a huge weakness, on an otherwise pretty solid offensive unit.

I agree that the play calling sucks, but getting guys open is important.  Unfortunately, our QB zones in on one guy and doesn't see the field.  This works when the defense is pathetic, like the Vikings.  However, take a look at the poor lob pass to Morgan on the sideline from Griffin today.  He looked that way, never made a second read, and decided to throw a danger pass to the sideline.  Meanwhile, he had Reed over the top down the middle wide open.  Every game the announcers point out a wide open receiver he missed.  While I agree we need to run more in the second half, we also need a QB who sees the field and RG3 is not it.  I honestly think we should see what Cousins has after our 8th loss, when it is all but decided that the year is over.  Otherwise, we continue to blindly commit to a player that is a great athlete and an awesome human being, but a so-so NFL quarterback.

Ive been critical of Robert this year, but there is no doubt that he has played fantastic the past two weeks. If he continues to play like this, then I have no worries about the future, I think he can only get better. Even that last pass to santan on a fade was perfect, Tana just needs to drag and thats a TD.

This loss deserves a lot of blame to go around, but Roberts not one of them.

So the next question would be does the on going, wildly reported tension and dislike between QB and HC extend to QB and OC?

Hail. 

I think RGIII gets along with Kyle really well, I've heard reports Mike and Kyle have butted heads on offensive philosophies. I think RGIII gets along with Kyle more than Mike which makes sense because Kyle is younger while Mike is old school.

But then again the offense isn't the problem sure they have made their fair share of mistakes but our offense is respected around the league it's our defensive staff that needs to be replaced immediately. 

If we get a better OL then all the WRs will get better because they'll have time for their route. This is a put all your egg in one basket league as far as the QB position is concerned. So we don't need two good QB on the roster so we should trade Kirk for maybe a 2nd rounder and draft and interior linemen.

And I'm actually seeing people blame Griff for the loss. My Lord. 

Saw that too, totally ridiculous. 

And OP, I'm with you. I don't feel nearly as hopeless as I did back in the Jason Campbell era because we have our QB and we have a great offensive cast around him and you can tell as the season goes on that he's thriving in it. 

Now about those defense/special teams areas...that's a different story. 

Some people simply have an agenda. This loss was all on the defense.

and some people make stuff up. I haven't heard anyone blame Griffin for this one. I've heard people say he had a bad one against Denver. I've heard people say he wasn't himself at the beginning this year. I've heard people say he has some developing to do before he is in the elite tierof qbs in this lleague. but I haven't heard anyone blame him for Minnesota.

Archived