Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Nemesis - The Quick Hitter Across The Middle...

mitchellvii

Every game it is the same thing. The defense starts strong with an aggressive pass rush. On many occasions we have earned a pick 6. But then the opponent adjusts and starts going for quick hitters across the middle and we just get SHREDDED.

In the 3rd and 4th quarters against Denver, there were numerous plays were Manning hit a man across the middle and there literally was not a single Redskin defender within 10 yards of the receiver.  Maybe stop blitzing so much and just leave a man to cover the short middle no matter what?

And the most frustrating part? We NEVER adjust.

P.S., Despite other teams great success (especially on 3rd and long) across the middle, we seem to always be running deep out routes on 3rd and long, or 5 yard routes (which also make no sense). If it works so well for everyone else, why don't we do it?

Also how about throwing in some pick routes since that apparently is no longer illegal, at least for our opponents.

I agree, the defense against Denver started out pretty exceptional outside of the opening drive.And maintained it through the half.

Then I swear for about 4 plays in a row Manning dropped back and found someone over the top for a quick 5 yards every single time, and it often turned into 10-15 yards.  No adjustment was made, it was just the same exact open space offered up.

It just seems we could shut this down by leaving a spy across the middle on 3rd down and blitzing one less man (since we aren't getting to the QB anyway).  Haslett's behaves as if making adjustments are a person affront to his ego.

It is hard to defend a crossing pattern, I get that, but when I cannot even see a Redskin defender on the screen when the catch is made?  That's bad coaching.

Denver beat us by a thousand cuts.  Why go for homeruns when you can hit singles at will?

The buk of their yards came as a result of the middle dump. IDK, its like trying to plug a sponge w/ needles. At one point it was believed we had the worst secondary w/ zero pass rush. But the opposing QB isn't consistently going down field. He's being forced to check down. Jackson came off the bench for our only sack. The DL managed to push the pocket but admittedly Rivers looked good side stepping our rush.

The big problem with this is that the Tightend position has evolved and it has left our core of linebackers behind...

Just a few years ago you had 3 maybe 4 true elite pass catching tightends now most every team has a big athletic tightend and our line backers can not keep up with them in coverage and our defensive backs are too small to cover them so we get gashed over the middle.

To be honest with our current players I do not think we can fix it. Perhaps a scheme of keeping the outside linebacker always spying the tightend? Or utilizing our more athletic players (not riley or fletcher) to cover the tightend in passing downs?

Sure like someone said that means they are checking down but when you still march down the field who cares.

Like I said I do not know if it is fixable with our current players but our current system is not working and something needs to give.

Yeah, during the game, Cooley (and some people in the chat) were observing that Rivers was targeting whoever was covered by Riley or Fletch.  And it sure seemed to work pretty consistently. 

Hope we can figure out how to stop it, in a short week.  Cause I assume our LBs are gonna be focusing on AP. 

(And I also agree with you about our offensive play selection.  At least according to me, as much as we feed Morris, and as much as opponents have to plan for him, I would think passing over the middle would be a staple of our offense.  And a way to keep RG3 more healthy.) 

It's no secret that Fletch and Riley are liabilities in pass coverage. They basically didn't even try to cover Celek or Bennett on their TD catches. Other times Slot guys like Cobb and Welker ate up whoever was there. In fairness, those Welker plays were afforded by pick patterns from two other receivers and a couple times whoever was playing press, like Wilson, got lost in the wash. Sometimes we reverted to zone coverage from the middle while playing Man outside, I don't know why.

Anyway, we've been talking about it a bunch in the Comprehensive. Identifying players strongly adept to pass coverage and those combo types. Take a look at Telvin Smith while you're at it.

London Fletcher. I hate to say it because I admire him. He just doesn't have the quickness anymore. His speed and quickness paired with his high football IQ made him a beast for so many years. He doesn't have the wheels anymore. I could count on every game 59 making a couple huge hits. Sadly that's not the case now. He is missing a lot of tackles because he is a tad bit late getting to the ball. Barnett is in the same boat.

Watching Fletcher in 2013 is like watching Bruschi in his final season on the Pats. The smarts and instincts are still there but the physical ability to be in the necessary position to make plays is gone.

I don't think he will be too much a liability against the Vikes, but I dread him in the Eagles rematch. Guys like Jackson & McCoy catching screen passes in his area of the field? OH NO!

Yeah, as far as Fletcher goes. I watch every game thinking to myself. There's no way we can bring him back next season. He got a nice size contract to come back. But now the franchise has to look forward. I loved what he brought to the franchise. But it's clearly time to move on. I'm also up in the air about Riley. While he has improved. I don't see him as irreplaceable what so ever. His run defense is average. He's not a great blitz guy. Clearly his coverage skills aren't equal to a regressing Fletcher. We need young athletic inside players to solidity the front 7.

Archived