Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rick Perry Comes To Maryland

@DCGoldPants

Rick Perry is a lot smarter than folks realize. Yea, he clearly bombed as a Presidential candidate - but you don't hold power for a decade being an idiot.

Perry has an enormous ego. These trips are really nothing more than publicity stunts - not for Texas but for his personal brand.

He has become a millionaire off public service. His time in Texas politics is coming to and end and he needs to find his next cash cow.

Is there a politician at his level or beyond that hasn't become a millionaire off his/her public service? I seriously doubt it. As for a cash cow, he'd simply become a lobbyist and a damn good one at that.

Perry has been airing commercials in Virginia and other states as well. Texas has recently passed quite a bit of legislation that offers tax breaks and de-regulation to businesses and industry. Now he's attempting to spread the news. He's specifically courting Beretta and LWRC after O'Malley pushed his draconian gun control through.

• 1 month later...

I do think a thank you card is in order. Even a conservative estimate of ~$30k in salary for these 50 new jobs in Md is $1.5m in new salary for the state...plus increase in tax $...Previously unused retail space...increased spending. Yes. Let's send a card.

I do think a thank you card is in order. Even a conservative estimate of ~$30k in salary for these 50 new jobs in Md is $1.5m in new salary for the state...plus increase in tax $...Previously unused retail space...increased spending. Yes. Let's send a card.

Exactly. http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/10/22/3043451/synagro-announces-relocation-of.html

“Moving our corporate headquarters to Baltimore was a logical decision with our national footprint being largely concentrated on the I-95 corridor; we have access to a major airport, rail lines and key interstates,” explained Eric Zimmer, President and CEO of Synagro. “Furthermore, as we assessed our talent needs, research and experience told us Baltimore had a tremendous pool of skilled workers to recruit from to meet our organization’s needs now and well into the future.”

skilled workers are good.

10-24-2013+11-52-03+AM.gif

^brilliant card. Considering how much it costs a company to relocate, the talent base in MD must have been well worth it compared to that in TX.

No doubt. Organic residuals management services must require people who want quality infrastructure over deregulations and simple bottom line math. Good for them. 

part of me thinks he's using these trips as a tax payer paid move to help him set up post-political ventures. Yeah, if you want to bring your biz to Texas, cool. Wouldn't bet on it. But, lets you and me do something on the side.

Seems to me that Texas is far more fond of federal aid than Maryland is.

Only since you put it as % of state govt general revenue,but when you compare how much we get to how much we pay that changes to Md sucking the funds.....you may thank me for our largess at your leisure.

Funny how low taxes here change that % formula,whereas it hides ya'lls sucking up federal funds  :)

btw tell your gov we have a better HS graduation rate than his ,not to mention smarter kids who can count

ftsbs-large.jpg

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20131015-perry-heading-to-london-israel-to-woo-businesses-to-texas.ece

Look out London and Israel, more jobs headed your way!

So Texas spends $.50 less?

math......Md receives .50 more in federal funds than it pays to the feds, Texas pays ya'll and has for decades.

add

a simpler example for every dollar Md sends the feds they receive 1.50 .....NJ must really like ya'll

he does get around, no complaints here on foreign investment and corps....growing every day

Only since you put it as % of state govt general revenue,but when you compare how much we get to how much we pay that changes to Md sucking the funds.....you may thank me for our largess at your leisure.

Funny how low taxes here change that % formula,whereas it hides ya'lls sucking up federal funds  :)

Or maybe his chart is comparing federal aid dollars, and your chart is looking at how many federal workers are earning a paycheck.

Or maybe his chart is comparing federal aid dollars, and your chart is looking at how many federal workers are earning a paycheck.

don't think so,we got a lot of federal workers.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/taxfoundation.org/files/docs/ff2013.pdf

now this one looks at federal workers ect

Expenditures on Salaries and Wages is another category in which these states lead the country in spending per capita. This category includes the salaries and wages of defense workers and non-defense workers alike. All five of the top 10 states receiving the most in this category are represented on our list.

24/7 Wall St. identified the states that get the most money from the federal government by taking the figures for federal expenditures in each state from the 2010 Consolidated Federal Funds report and subtracting from it the income taxes retained, net of refunds, by the federal government for each state for the same year. The values obtained were then divided by state population figures for 2010 from the census bureau to arrive at a per capita figure for each state.

These are the states that get the most federal money.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/government/2012/08/03/states-that-get-most-federal-money/

3) Maryland

> Amt. per capita net of income taxes: $13,723

> Population: 5,773,552

> Pct. of U.S. population: 1.87%

> Amt. per capita: $16,673

> Pct. of U.S. funds per person: 2.98%

Maryland had the fifth-highest federal spending per capita from the Defense Department — the state has 11 military bases. In addition, the state received more spending per capita in nonmilitary programs than any other. The state’s proximity to the capital is likely a major factor in this. The state received more than 5% of the total U.S. procurement expenditure, and ranked second in per capita procurement spending — $4,593.79 — nearly three times the national average. Of the 50 states, Maryland has the second-lowest percentage of people living below the poverty line.

Not exactly sure your point?

"The state's proximity to the capital is likely a major factor in this" pretty much explains it all.

Do you think the numbers would be the same if we didn't have 20 federal agencies either headquartered or with significant field offices in MD? What's your take on DC being smack dab in the middle of #2 or #3 on that list? You don't think that's relevant to their being #2 and #3?

btw tell your gov we have a better HS graduation rate than his ,not to mention smarter kids who can count

Yeah, you got me. A 9 year old chart about something completely different from what I was talking about sure has destroyed the fact that your beloved Texas receives a larger amount of federal aid than communist Maryland does.

Yeah, you got me. A 9 year old chart about something completely different from what I was talking about sure has destroyed the fact that your beloved Texas receives a larger amount of federal aid than communist Maryland does.

Well since we have about 9 times the population(my county is almost the population of your state)  I would hope we get a larger amount,  of course per capita ya'll easily take the lead in sucking up federal funds again. ;)

but ya got me, Texas runs leaner than Md on taxes and govt....hell we are so cheap we only let the legislature meet every two yrs.

it's got so bad we got to send the Governor out foraging to earn his keep  :P

Maybe when our illegals get legalized they will come share your bounty.

I hope ya know I'm just having fun here and no offense meant ya parasites 

Well since we have about 9 times the population(my county is almost the population of your state)  I would hope we get a larger amount,  of course per capita ya'll easily take the lead in sucking up federal funds again. ;)

Course, his chart compensated for population, too. (When it compared the money against the state's budget.) But nice attempt to try to use that to once again move the goalposts from spending to aid.

Although, I've done some looking, and yes, it does appear that Texas state spending, per capita, is not just lower than Maryland, but quite significantly so.

Link.

MD: $5,863

TX: $3,796

That's 35% lower. 

I think you've made a valid point, here. 

I think you are conflating direct payments to the state with Aid,but like I said,charts and stats are rather open to interpretation

is it aid to get back less than we provide?  (and yes I am being unfair to our parasite  :P  brethren in MD with total federal funds)

Archived