Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

God I hope New Orleans doesn't get a top three pick.

Regarding the Pacers/Heat series...

The team that wins game three, wins the series. Yes, I know tonight is game two, but still. Game three is the game to key in on...

I'm feeling a Miami win tonight. But if they lose, they're going to be in trouble.

In retrospect, New Orleans should have kept Noel and kept their draft pick.

I saw this today in another forum and I thought it makes sense and I am also somewhat skeptical of how things turn out.

"Since 1990, when the NBA draft lottery went to the weighted average ball system that theoretically gave the team with the worst record the best

chance, there have been some strange and certainly questionable results. In the period from 1990 to the most recently completed lottery, there

have been 23 draft lotteries determined. In that time, the team with the worst record (top seed for the lottery) has won the draft lottery 3 times

(1990, 2003, 2004). The reason this seems suspicious is that during that same time period a team with the 8th seed or lower has won the draft

lottery three times as well (1993, 2008, 2011). The three teams in those three years? Orlando in 1993 with 1 chance in 66 (1.5%), Chicago in 2008

with 17 chances out of 1000 (1.7%) and the LA Clippers in 2011 with 28 chances out of 1000 (2.8%). What makes these results interesting is that

in 2008 there was much conjecture about the Bulls floundering franchise, and they suddenly defy the odds mightily to win the draft for hometown

sensation Derrick Rose who immediately begins to turn the fortunes of the Bulls. Then in 2011, the Clippers pick actually belonged to the

Cavaliers as a result of an earlier trade, and thus the Cavaliers win the lottery the same year Lebron leaves for the Heat. Very convenient. In fact, if

you combine the chances of the three eighth place or lower winners, there was a 2.2% chance of those three lotteries falling the way they did,

while the top seeded teams in those same lotteries had a 24.7% chance of things falling their way. That is a ten-fold difference in probability, yet

the lower seeded team defied the odds all three times. Another interesting point to the lottery results over the last 23 years is that the 5th seed or

lower has won the lottery 11 times in 23 draft lotteries. That is almost half of the contested lotteries. The top three seeds in the lottery have only

won it 12 times (interestingly enough, no fourth seed has won it since the weighted ball system went into effect). So the top three teams in the

lottery over the last 23 years (who had much better mathematical chances to win than the seeds below them) have only won the lottery ONE more

time than teams that were 5th seeded or lower going in, and there have been as many winners from the 8th seed or lower as there have from the 

top seed in the same time period. I’m no mathematician, and I don’t play one on television, but those results seem awfully fishy to me. Based on

the odds of the 8th seed or lower teams that won, there should have been no more than one winner from seeds that low or lower in 23 tries (23 x

2.2% works out to 0.5, or not even one win). Yet there have been 3 wins from such seeds, and the 5th seed or lower has won only one less time

than the top three seeds. Those numbers seem to defy the odds of random chance that the draft lottery ostensibly uses to determine the winner.

The NBA draft lottery has come under scrutiny for its past results, and frankly such scrutiny is warranted based on these numbers. I think it would

be very interesting for a qualified mathematician to take all the data for all of the contested lotteries from 1990 through the most recent one and

work up an algorithm to determine what the overall odds were that all of the lotteries would fall exactly the way they did. I mean one set of odds to

cover the results of all 23 years. I’m willing to bet the number would be astronomical. I’ve said before that the draft lottery is rigged, and after

reviewing these numbers I see nothing to dissuade me from that belief. The NBA claims it isn’t rigged, yet no one can see the actual process real-

time when the winner is determined. If the lottery is on the up and up, why all the secrecy? Let everyone see the results as they happen, and this

way there’s no chance the thing is rigged. The lottery is a joke and they need to go back to the way every other sports league in America does

things and give the worst team the first pick. Considering that the NBA already has credibility problems with their officiating and their seeming

preferential treatment of superstars, this draft lottery system and the amazing odds-defying performances that it keeps yielding do nothing to

bolster that credibility at all."

Also Adam Silver is doing a good job. With all the hate Stern got for basically being a gigantic jerk to everyone (remember the Drafts..."I can't hear you" :laugh:) it's nice to see someone who is somewhat dignified and professional as the face of the league. 

Adam Silver is more corporate and behaved but he's still not scared to lash out at peons who go against league rules. 

- Lashed out at Donald Sterling professionally instead of being a bully (see his incident with Jim Rome) 

- Advocates maturity as he wants to raise age from 19 to 20 

No complaints here. 

Edited by ixcuincle

The best reason to have a "lottery" is so that they can rig it and have some control over future stars. No one complains in the other sports about tanking and the nfl has some awful franchises that "suck for Luck" and obviously go into rebuild mode (which is the less cynical name for tanking). It makes more sense from a competitive stand point to award the best talent to the worst team.

Edited by Destino

Dont' draft another bust. Holy **** that girl is so damn hot. Omg. 

The thing is the Cavs now have 2 #1 picks (although Anthony Bennett is basically invisible and doesn't count) and they barely missed the playoffs in a weak East. Just the addition of one rookie who will actually contribute something positive to the team could possibly nudge this team into the playoffs. 

If it were rigged the Lakers or Celtics would have won it.

The real winner here is all of us for having seen Mallory Edens. My goodness :wub:

Bill Simmons: "Mallory won the internet"

She's the new face of the franchise! Certainly more fun to look at than the team they put on the floor. Funny thing is they weren't tanking, they spent in FA and were trying to win.

Pics of hot girl.

Don't let your expectations get away from you. Consider that she stood out sitting in a group of old nervous men.

Mallory-Edens-Bucks.jpg

Edited by Destino

Anyhow, lets go Pacers!

She's the new face of the franchise! Certainly more fun to look at than the team they put on the floor. Funny thing is they weren't tanking, they spent in FA and were trying to win.
Don't let your expectations get away from you. Consider that she stood out sitting in a group of old nervous men.

Mallory-Edens-Bucks.jpg

She's cute/pretty.  Kind of Elisha Cuthbert'ish.