Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

No need to hate on Dean Smith.  Not to mention you are wrong, considering Karl was never on any coaching staff at UNC or any other college for that matter.  He was a former UNC player, that's it.  He's only coached at the professional level.  

But I agree that he is an overrated NBA coach and a douche for the comments he made about Melo and his other former players, completely uncalled for.

Edit:  I wouldn't say Larry Brown is an overrated coach from the Dean Smith coaching tree, you know, considering he is the only coach ever to win a NCAA championship and NBA championship.  

How you gonna tell me that George Karl is not from that coaching tree because he was never on any Dean Smith coaching staff, and then say Larry Brown is successful under his tree? How Sway? (and Larry Brown cheated and got caught at each college job he took on)

Nothing i said was dissing Dean Smith. I am dissing the people that became coaches who either played or coached under him.

22 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

How you gonna tell me that George Karl is not from that coaching tree because he was never on any Dean Smith coaching staff, and then say Larry Brown is successful under his tree? How Sway? (and Larry Brown cheated and got caught at each college job he took on)

Nothing i said was dissing Dean Smith. I am dissing the people that became coaches who either played or coached under him.

How?  By posting actual facts?  You said in your post " He is another overrated coach from the Dean Smith coaching tree. "  The term "coaching tree" refers to coaches that served on a coaching staff under a head coach in some capacity (e.g. in college basketball an assistant coach).  Then when those assistant coaches go on to become a head coach somewhere, and they were part of a coaching staff under a top/elite head coach (e.g. Dean Smith, Coach K., etc.) then it's usually mentioned that they came from [insert famous head coach name here]'s coaching tree.

Pretty simple.  You did not say that he played for Dean Smith, you said he came from his coaching tree, which is completely inaccurate as he never coached under Dean Smith.  Being a player under him, going pro and then going straight into professional coaching as a head coach does not classify him as being part of the "Dean Smith coaching tree".  

And to answer how am I going to say that Larry Brown is successful under his coaching tree, well because he wasn't just a player under Smith (from 1960-63), but also an assistant coach under Dean Smith from 1965-67.  He actually coached under Smith as his first coaching gig.  

And as far as cheating as a college coach, yes, but as far as the Kansas team he won the national championship with, there wasn't any violations with that team that was discovered.  They got banned from the tourny after he left because they provided money to a potential transfer so he could leave college to visit his sick grandmother.  None of the players on the actual team were named in the violation and in the end, that player never even transferred to Kansas.  So his NCAA championship isn't tarnished.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

And as far as cheating as a college coach, yes, but as far as the Kansas team he won the national championship with, there wasn't any violations with that team that was discovered.  They got banned from the tourny after he left because they provided money to a potential transfer so he could leave college to visit his sick grandmother.  None of the players on the actual team were named in the violation and in the end, that player never even transferred to Kansas.  So his NCAA championship isn't tarnished.

I was wrong about his being an assistant at UNC, but this has nothing to do with my post saying that Larry Brown cheated at every college job. I never said Brown was overrated either.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I was wrong about his being an assistant at UNC, but this has nothing to do with my post saying that Larry Brown cheated at every college job. I never said Brown was overrated either.

Yeah, but when the cheating involves giving cash to a transfer to go see their sick grandmother, while technically cheating, I think that can be forgiven and given a pass.  Anyhow, at least that is how I have always heard the term coaching tree referred to.  If it includes former players too, then my bad.  

Including former players and assistant coaches, outside of Matt Doherty and Karl, who else on the long list of coaches would be considered overrated?

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro

12 hours ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

Not with that terrible grammar.

Stupid comment because our focus should be on Kenyon Martin's grammar instead of the man who threw some off-the-wall, racially charged **** at some of his ex-players.  I mean, when you type on twitter, it should always be grammatically correct, right? 

You, of all people, would point that out. 

27 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Stupid comment because our focus should be on Kenyon Martin's grammar instead of the man who threw some off-the-wall, racially charged **** at some of his ex-players.  I mean, when you type on twitter, it should always be grammatically correct, right? 

You, of all people, would point that out. 

Racially charged? How do you know he hasn't said the same thing about white guys that grew up without fathers? 

I don't think anything I've heard from his book makes him look racist.Just a few things that maybe could have went unsaid. But those are the very things that sell, when writing a book. He obviously didn't care much for Melo. And I don't find that all that surprising. He's always been a selfish guy, that you can't win with. 

10 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Including former players and assistant coaches, outside of Matt Doherty and Karl, who else on the long list of coaches would be considered overrated?

Roy is overrated. Horrible in game coach.

Buzz Peterson, Jeff Lebo, Eddie Fogle, and Roy are others.

7 minutes ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

Racially charged? How do you know he hasn't said the same thing about white guys that grew up without fathers? 

I don't think anything I've heard from his book makes him look racist.Just a few things that maybe could have went unsaid. But those are the very things that sell, when writing a book. He obviously didn't care much for Melo. And I don't find that all that surprising. He's always been a selfish guy, that you can't win with. 

Reading posts like this, I really am amazed how many white people can have a worldview like this.

1 hour ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

This is the hill you're choosing to die on....pathetic. 

3 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

This is the hill you're choosing to die on....pathetic. 

Whatever, man. 

Like I said, he probably could have left out the whole fatherless thing. It's not like Melo had a choice about that. But as far as everything basketball-related that I've heard, he's correct. It's pretty well known that Melo has never bothered to play on both ends. He has a right to be upset if he feels guys like that cost him his career. Cousins, too. Guy is a bozo. No team is ever winning with either of them.

I think a person can find something in just about everything, and tie it to race---if one chooses to. Me personally, I choose not to live my life that way. Every thing someone says, or writes, doesn't always have to be about race.

Edited by Ray-Ban Dan

24 minutes ago, Ray-Ban Dan said:

Whatever, man. 

Like I said, he probably could have left out the whole fatherless thing. It's not like Melo had a choice about that. But as far as everything basketball-related that I've heard, he's correct. It's pretty well known that Melo has never bothered to play on both ends. He has a right to be upset if he feels guys like that cost him his career. Cousins, too. Guy is a bozo. No team is ever winning with either of them.

Melo has an NCAA title, multiple gold medals and was the best player on the best team in Nuggets history...Bozo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Actually, it's shifted to how YOU fell about Melo.  And how your feelings are moronic and under-developed.

Let's stay on the topic. If you disagree with my stance, fine. But no need for name-calling.

Edited by Ray-Ban Dan

I think there are reasonable criticisms a coach can make in a book, though I do view doing so as trashy.  Emasculating players he coached by claiming they were not proper men (whatever that means) because they lacked fathers to teach them, is purely an insult.  A deeply personal insult that stands worlds apart from pointing out a player refused to hustle on the defensive end.

The funny thing is that it really shouldn't be this hard to criticize Melo and JR Smith.  They are some of the easiest targets in the association IMO.  

Edited by Destino
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think there are reasonable criticisms a coach can make in a book, though I do view doing so as trashy.  Emasculating players he coached by claiming they were not proper men (whatever that means) because they lacked fathers to teach them, is purely an insult.  A deeply personal insult that stands worlds apart from pointing out a player refused to hustle on the defensive end.

The funny thing is that it really shouldn't be this hard to criticize Melo and JR Smith.  They are some of the easiest targets in the league IMO.  

But...but...but...what about the false equivalency claim that Karl probably insulted white players who grew up w/o fathers? 

Destino, you hit the nail on the head. 

Anyways, here's more:

Karl on Vivek: "An immigrant who's success in the US was beyond what he could've imagined, so he believes his instincts are infallible."

— Carmichael Dave (@CarmichaelDave)

December 23, 2016

Karl on DMC: Wasn't physically fit, had to call fatigue timeouts. "The most disrespectful person I'd ever been around". Wanted him traded.

George Karl REALLY showing himself here.  He's a narrow-minded, ignorant, racist.  I'm really disgusted by him and ANYONE who tries to justify or defend what he was saying. 

• Like 1

Golden state added Durant, but that game looked like the finals. Curry shrank and the Cavs were too physical for the warriors.

Curry wasnt even moving much on the play called at the end of the game.  Interesting.  I though it would take longer for Durant to take over.  

BTW, saw two unbelievable 30/30's on Phi Slamma Jamma, and Ben Wilson, who I'd never heard of until that show. Crazy how many guys, whether injured or never making it to begin with, never realized their true potential as pros during that era. Sad story

Edited by Mr. Sinister