Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I agree. But, no way it would fly today. Some would be ok, some would not.

We should do what the majority wants.  Now, in 2014 would I name a team the Redskins...no.  Does that mean because I would not name this team the Redskins today, that I should change the name today?  We have 80 years of history, and in the 80 years the team has generated thousands and thousands of fans, that span generations many of which are Natives.  The feelings of those people should count just as much as those who have decided to be offended.  

LMAO, now they will start blocking the comments below the articles they write.  Watch what I'm telling you.  "Comments closed for this article"   LMAO

Heck, Mike Florio and PFT always remove comments on their articles.  You'll rarely see a well written counter argument on their comments section because they'll remove it.  I know it first hand, yet they'll leave comments from trolls untouched.

Depends, I haven't heard them all. I just have no doubt that the redskins name wasn't meant to be negative, but times are different. Sucks, but true.

this is why we have to keep fighting.  The day the name of this team changes is the day Freedom dies a little more in this country.  I absolutely believe that, 100%.  

if I really believed that the majority of Natives wanted the name changed...I would accept the change.  I truly would...but there is no evidence that is the case, and I absolutely loath and abhor the tactics being used by people with a soap box to stand on.  

This is not how this country is supposed to work.  

We should do what the majority wants. Now, in 2014 would I name a team the Redskins...no. Does that mean because I would not name this team the Redskins today, that I should change the name today? We have 80 years of history, and in the 80 years the team has generated thousands and thousands of fans, that span generations many of which are Natives. The feelings of those people should count just as much as those who have decided to be offended.

So, based on this, the younger black people who are not offended by the n word shouldn't be concerned with the opinions of their parents and grand parents?

Simple question, would it be ok to have a team name based on the skin color of black person or Asian person? The SF Yellowmen?

Yeah, it would be okay if the intent was to honor Asian people and that most Asians were fine with it, along with Asian high school teams using it as their mascot.  That said, there's some evidence out there that the term "redskin" comes from red war paint, because red was the color representing war and battle. 

So, based on this, the younger black people who are not offended by the n word shouldn't be concerned with the opinions of their parents and grand parents?

I'm not so sure the acceptance of that word with young people has changed as universally as you believe your experiences indicate.  I have worked as a Correctional Officer for nearly 17 years.  I can tell you now..we would have one hell of a mess to clean up if. somebody in a position of authority used that word with one of our younger residents 

MarkMaske (@MarkMaske): Native American groups to send letter Wednesday to all NFL players seeking support on Redskins name-change issue... http://t.co/q5jXfqdoDl

MarkMaske (@MarkMaske): The letter from Oneida Indian Nation's Change the Mascot Campaign and the National Congress of American Indians is signed by other groups.

MarkMaske (@MarkMaske): Other groups signing the letter include the NAACP and Anti-Defamation League. Letter to be sent to players on all NFL rosters and draftees.

Yawn, more Oneida crap.  How about we hear from Cherokee, Apache, Navajo, ect....., considering that a leader from the Blackfeet tribe requested and helped design our logo.  Ray Halbritter is not the spokesman for all Native Americans. 

The NAACP signing off on anything having to do with changing the name of this team makes me laugh.  Another organization with a dictionary defined "racial slur" in their name, and spare me about how it's different because of who benefits from the organization.  If it's wrong to name an entity after a racial slur, it's wrong period.

Yawn, more Oneida crap.  How about we hear from Cherokee, Apache, Navajo, ect....., considering that a leader from the Blackfeet tribe requested and helped design our logo.  Ray Halbritter is not the spokesman for all Native Americans. 

apparently because he has money he is.  That's all you need in America to browbeat the population.  Money.

Some keep bringing up how the team needs to "listen" and we need to have a "broad discussion" on this topic?  What more needs to be said?  Does "broad discussion" and "listening" mean we need to keep listening and keep discussing until we see things their way?  

There can only be one outcome?  They did discuss, they did listen, and there has been more discussion about this than the topic deserves, and the team said they are not changing the damn name.  

I'm not so sure the acceptance of that word with young people has changed as universally as you believe your experiences indicate. I have worked as a Correctional Officer for nearly 17 years. I can tell you now..we would have one hell of a mess to clean up if. somebody in a position of authority used that word with one of our younger residents

I believe you. From my perspective as a teacher, the word today is a term of endearment. I've been at 2 different schools and it's that way. My brother is in a different city and it's that way. The twitter and Instagram feeds of players on my HS team that are black use the word extremely frequently. I had to ban it. They don't agree, but they had to in order to be on the team.

Last thing I'm going to say, because I'm not going to change anyone's mind. Read the link I posted earlier from deadspin. Read it with an open mind. I think it's fair.

Simple question, would it be ok to have a team name based on the skin color of black person or Asian person? The SF Yellowmen?

Simple question. Does a person's opinion about an imaginary word, in an imaginary situation, have any relevance to the discussion about people's feelings towards a real, commonly used word, in real, common, situations? Let alone enough relevance to override people's discussion of reality?

You know what Dan's next step needs to be now.  They should employ an independent polling entity to go directly to the reservations the team visited, and poll the residents.  

The team can't do it on it's own, because nobody will believe the results.  As a matter of fact, team officials just need to stay in Washington and let this independent entity handle the whole damn thing.  

Let's see what happens.

Simple question. Does a person's opinion about an imaginary word, in an imaginary situation, have any relevance to the discussion about people's feelings towards a real, commonly used word, in real, common, situations? Let alone enough relevance to override people's discussion of reality?

Is it commonly used?

I have never heard it used aside from in regards to the team.

Oliver North has a contrary opinion that somebody actually posted.  Good for him.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/05/23/oliver-north-disgusting-that-senate-took-up-redskins-name-over-dealing-with-va-video/

“It is disgusting to think that the Senate was going to take up the issue of the name of a football team as a higher priority than the millions of veterans who have been abused and, quite frankly, in some cases, killed by the Veterans Administration,” North said in an interview with Washington, D.C. radio station WMAL Thursday afternoon.

TRUTH

Archived