Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

KingGibbs Annual Public Service Announcement Regarding Those Pipes

KingGibbs

Just a reminder with the arctic blast heading our way to disconnect your garden hose(s), turn off the outgoing line(s) and drain the remaining water in those spickets. Don't want to see my fellow ES'ers with frozen then busted pipes. It's not pretty when it happens.

It is 70 and sunny here today. :cool:

I do have a question though, sometimes it does dip down to the 20 at night in December.

At what temperature are pipes at risk for freezing? Is it 32, or does it need to be much lower?

Being that your temps fluctuate so much from day to night, I doubt if frozen pipes would be an issue. My outgoing pipes are inside my house and it's just the width of the foundation that the rest of the line runs. I have the luxury of the pipes being insulated because they are in my utility room.

It was 3 degrees this morning. I shut off the external spigot, but we have a spigot in the garage which is more or less unheated. Aside from the spigot all the piping is in the heated basement. Cause for concern. I looked for a shutoff but couldn't find it.

Appreciate the reminder- I turned mine off last night after seeing this thread.

It was 3 degrees this morning. I shut off the external spigot, but we have a spigot in the garage which is more or less unheated. Aside from the spigot all the piping is in the heated basement. Cause for concern. I looked for a shutoff but couldn't find it.

Where were you that it was 3 degrees? Lowest I saw was 17.

Archived