Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cam Newton's sophomore season

SteveFromYellowstone

So I often see people saying RG3 is going to be another Cam Newton and the NFL is going to "figure him out". I went back and actually looked at Cam's full 16 game numbers and I was a bit surprised:

280 485 57.7 3,869 8.0 19 12 36 244 86.2 127 741 5.8 8 10 3

YPA TD INT SACKS QBRTG RUSHING TD FMBL

Heck he had a pretty good season. He threw 7 less INTs and raised his QB rating. He also had more rushing yards. The only noticeable drop off is the rushing TDs, but those numbers are hard to replicate. This guy doesn't have much of a team to work with around him it seems. The defense is subpar and outside of an aging steve smith and maybe jonathan stewart, there isn't really anyone else who is much of a threat. Maybe people are criticizing without actually looking at the numbers :ols:

I dont think most question Cams talent and ability...its more his character issues that are the concern. He can throw for 300, 2 scores, run one in and all that any given day. But when the going gets tough he crumbles and wears it carelessly. Plus the superman me me me stuff. He just doesn't appear to have the qualities of a real leader.

yup, and someone will try to explain away his numbers this season anyway, lol.

I certainly hope not. He had a poor stretch in the beginning of the season but really caught fire and he seemed to pick himself up mentally, too. The nutty thing about pro-Cam is that he had definite leadership qualities at Auburn that people talked about. He came in ready to work and led by example from as soon as he stepped foot on campus. I think he's a bit selfish still and isn't the teammate that, say, Griffin is but that doesn't mean he can't grow into something pretty good. Besides, I think we all know Peyton has often been a jerkface to his teammates (including throwing his offensive line into the line of fire after a playoff loss.) Personally, I also thought he was kind of a dick about Vanderjagt too. Sure, the kicker spoke out of turn but there was no need to go as far in response.

So I often see people saying RG3 is going to be another Cam Newton and the NFL is going to "figure him out". I went back and actually looked at Cam's full 16 game numbers and I was a bit surprised:

280 485 57.7 3,869 8.0 19 12 36 244 86.2 127 741 5.8 8 10 3

YPA TD INT SACKS QBRTG RUSHING TD FMBL

Heck he had a pretty good season. He threw 7 less INTs and raised his QB rating. He also had more rushing yards. The only noticeable drop off is the rushing TDs, but those numbers are hard to replicate. This guy doesn't have much of a team to work with around him it seems. The defense is subpar and outside of an aging steve smith and maybe jonathan stewart, there isn't really anyone else who is much of a threat. Maybe people are criticizing without actually looking at the numbers :ols:

The people that were saying that stuff about Cam were saying it before he, and their team, went on their hot streak. They started 1-6, man. That's when there were whispers that he had been "figured out".

Yeah, he did indeed end up with similar numbers. But you're totally wrong about the Panthers not having anything around him. He has help. They went 6-3 down the stretch, and got contributions from a number of players on offense. Just this past Sunday they had one guy score 3 rushing TDs and another RB go over 200 yards (and neither was Stewart). They also have gotten production from Greg Olsen, Steve Smith, and occasionally, Brandon LaFell.

And you're WAY off about their defense, man. They are ranked in the top 10. And that's after finishing in the bottom 5 of defenses in the NFL last year.

When the NFL starts recognizing scoring as their main barometer of judging defenses, then so will I.;)

I mean this with no offense meant at all, but I find that to be a very antiquated way to look at it. Not to mention extremely stubborn. I think if you look deeper into the stats they are not a very elite defense at all.

Per Pro Football Focus they are ranked the 29th rated defense:

img1323.png

Now God knows that in itself isn't the end all be all judgement of defenses, and I recognize that. No way do I honestly believe the Panthers are that low of a defensive team in the league. Football Outsiders ranks them 13th in the league with their DVOA statistic. Carolina has a decent defense, I would categorize them as average.

I just think that your reliance on simple old school stats like tackles and yards allowed per game is archaic. It's reminds me of valuing AVG and RBI over OPS and RC. To each his own, I just think looking at broader more encompassing statistics is a better way of judgement.

Mike: I'm just going on what the NFL itself uses to rate defenses. Never said I necessarily agree with just using total yards as the barometer. But that's the one that teams are judged on.

Carolina's defense was awful in the early part of the season. But they played pretty damn well in the 2nd half of the season. Hell, look at the way they handled us. That was the worst that we've looked on offense the entire year.

Mike: I'm just going on what the NFL itself uses to rate defenses. Never said I necessarily agree with just using total yards as the barometer. But that's the one that teams are judged on.

Carolina's defense was awful in the early part of the season. But they played pretty damn well in the 2nd half of the season. Hell, look at the way they handled us. That was the worst that we've looked on offense the entire year.

That's true. That game was so frustrating to watch. You just wonder if the players were dying for the bye week time off since the bye was so late in the season. I do feel however that if we scored on the 4th and goal it could have changed the entire game.

The idea of a sophomore slump is a myth.

Look at Manning, Brady, and Rodgers in their second season as a full time starter. All significant improvements.

The sophmore slump is real, it happening in your 2nd year is a generalization that isn't always true. The reason there is a sophmore slump is because team adjust to what you are doing. Coaches get game film and adjust to what you do, most of the time in your first offseason. That's usually when the slump occurs. What separates the great QBs from everyone else is how fast they adjust to the adjustments made by the defense. That's why the generalization is a softmore slump. Year 1 you preform above expectations, so coaches adjust in year 2, then you adjust in year 3 and you learn to keep adjusting over your career. Great QBs adjust quicker and don't have a sophmore slump. But there are games and moments early in their career where they have to figure out what adjustments are made by the other teams.The avg and bad QBs never learn to adjust and either flame out or stay stuck in mediocrity.

So I often see people saying RG3 is going to be another Cam Newton and the NFL is going to "figure him out". I went back and actually looked at Cam's full 16 game numbers and I was a bit surprised: Heck he had a pretty good season. He threw 7 less INTs and raised his QB rating. He also had more rushing yards. The only noticeable drop off is the rushing TDs, but those numbers are hard to replicate. This guy doesn't have much of a team to work with around him it seems. The defense is subpar and outside of an aging steve smith and maybe jonathan stewart, there isn't really anyone else who is much of a threat. Maybe people are criticizing without actually looking at the numbers :ols:
Who cares about truth when there is perception? ;) Cam is having a sophmore slup! they've figured him out! blah blah blah rah rah rah....

I dont think most question Cams talent and ability...its more his character issues that are the concern.

I agree. Have always been a fan of the guy on the field but off it? He just seems dumb and immature. He's looking way too hard for attention but doesn't know what to do with it when he gets it.

He's got all the tools but if he stays this immature he's not going anywhere. Hopefully he can put it together.

"Pound cake, french fries...." ******* kill me.

Cam is going to be a problem. While everyone has been claiming sophomore slump all year, he's been taking his lumps, actually trying to hold himself accountable, improving as a leader, and still producing on the field. As they build that team around him, he could emerge, in my opinion, as one of Griffin's biggest ongoing rivals in the NFC playoffs.

And for the argument about their defense, I've seen some games where there defense played really well (against us), and I saw some where they let the offense down severely (first Falcon game, Matt Ryan launching a hail Mary from his own endzone).

That whole team is still learning to combine putting up numbers with winning at the end of games. If they can learn that, they will be a threat.

Since when did the NFL become a community of saints? Yes, he has "character" issues, but he's the best offensive player I saw in the SEC in 25 years, and that includes the Mannings. I've never seen anyone do what he did in the SEC in just one year. And keep in mind that he is 6' 5" and 245 pounds per his ESPN page. He can run over or around people.

Cam is going to be a problem. While everyone has been claiming sophomore slump all year, he's been taking his lumps, actually trying to hold himself accountable, improving as a leader, and still producing on the field. As they build that team around him, he could emerge, in my opinion, as one of Griffin's biggest ongoing rivals in the NFC playoffs.

And for the argument about their defense, I've seen some games where there defense played really well (against us), and I saw some where they let the offense down severely (first Falcon game, Matt Ryan launching a hail Mary from his own endzone).

That whole team is still learning to combine putting up numbers with winning at the end of games. If they can learn that, they will be a threat.

Uh, the reason they lost that first game to Atlanta was because Cam Newton ran into his own lineman and fumbled on a 3rd and short play at the end of the game. He had picked up the first down before fumbling. So if he had held on, they would have ran out the clock. But when a Carolina player recovered the fumble, it was no longer a 1st down. It was 4th and 1. Instead of going for it, they punted, and Atlanta started at their own 1. THAT'S when Ryan threw the long pass. So, you can't put that on the defense. The game was over if Newton doesn't fumble.

---------- Post added January-5th-2013 at 02:06 AM ----------

By the way, heard some more nuggets on Mr. Newton today by listening to the local sports talk radio:

Newton is 1-12 in games decided by 7 pts or less in his two years with Carolina. And, I could be off just a bit on this one, but I think the guy also said Newton was 0-7 this year in games decided by 6 pts or less.

The guy also pointed out that Andy Dalton (drafted after Cam, of course) has made the playoffs both years and that Luck, despite having one of the worst offensive lines in football, and 26th ranked defense, had already won nearly as many games in his rookie season (11 ) as Cam has in TWO seasons (13)..:ols:

Uh, the reason they lost that first game to Atlanta was because Cam Newton ran into his own lineman and fumbled on a 3rd and short play at the end of the game. He had picked up the first down before fumbling. So if he had held on, they would have ran out the clock. But when a Carolina player recovered the fumble, it was no longer a 1st down. It was 4th and 1. Instead of going for it, they punted, and Atlanta started at their own 1. THAT'S when Ryan threw the long pass. So, you can't put that on the defense. The game was over if Newton doesn't fumble

my word, this is incredible :hysterical:

Im not saying Cam fumbling the ball was good, however if you put the majority of the blame on him, and not the defense, then you are so far gone its not worth it.

Atlanta had the ball on the ONE YARD LINE!!! First play is a 65 yard bomb that Roddy White catches, after the safety showed one of the worst plays on the ball that I have ever seen, and you put that all on Cam? Its so stupid and illogical, but then again it is you typing.

Unless you expect Cam to play safety, then I dont know how you can put the entire loss on him in that Atlanta game.

By the way, heard some more nuggets on Mr. Newton today by listening to the local sports talk radio:

Newton is 1-12 in games decided by 7 pts or less in his two years with Carolina. And, I could be off just a bit on this one, but I think the guy also said Newton was 0-7 this year in games decided by 6 pts or less.

The guy also pointed out that Andy Dalton (drafted after Cam, of course) has made the playoffs both years and that Luck, despite having one of the worst offensive lines in football, and 26th ranked defense, had already won nearly as many games in his rookie season (11 ) as Cam has in TWO seasons (13)..:ols:

you are such a simple poster. :ols:

Archived