Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vote Cousins the NFL Pepsi Rookie of the Week for Week 15!!! UPDATE: HE WON!!

PerryMason

Kirk Cousins deserved the award as a rookie in his first start leading his team against an opponent who was on a winning streak with a good defense and dropping 38 points on them to keep the Skins playoff berth alive. He also deserves some carryover accolades from last week for finishing a comeback against the Ravens which, while he made it look easy, was actually a pretty incredible thing to accomplish. Down eight points with less than a minute, and they won.

I hope this helps some of you to deal with your moral hangups about online voting.

Part of me agrees with Forehead and Burgold. Still, the entire platform is fan fueled, so if we as fans have any opportunity to repay the players without giving management a dime, it seems appropriate that this forum rule the roost.

Exactly how I feel. The voting is 99% fan fueled so if more Seattle fans would have voted then Wilson would have won. I dont feel that bad because of that fact plus I can make a pretty strong argument for Kirk being more than deserving of the award this week.

I'm actually not pleased he won rookie of the week. It's probably due to this thread. Cousins had a very good game in another must win for the Redskins and in that way it's worthy, but was he better than Wilson? More, how much a role did vote rigging play? This thread makes that award seem dirty.

Vote rigging? You mean doing what the site WANTS you to do immediately after voting and vote more than once? You really think we're the only thread on the net trying to get our teams fans to vote for their player?? If the award wanted to be some semi- objective assessment of who had the best week stat wise was, it probably wouldn't allow for fan voting and it especially wouldn't allow people to vote more than once. But it does, so Cousins wins. If the award is cheapened by these factors then it is the fault of NFL.com for allowing and actually encouraging such, not us the fans for voting for our guy. Kirk won though AND IT'S AWESOME!!! You should get happy.

I'm actually not pleased he won rookie of the week. It's probably due to this thread. Cousins had a very good game in another must win for the Redskins and in that way it's worthy, but was he better than Wilson? More, how much a role did vote rigging play? This thread makes that award seem dirty.
It's a dumb award. I mean, just look at the MNF game where RG3 won. He had zero business winning it that week. And honestly, I don't know why so many here are making it out to be such a big deal that we've won 9 of the 15 weeks. So what. It's not like our players deserved to win it each week they did. It's nothing more than a stupid popularity contest, imo.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2012 at 03:46 PM ----------

Kirk Cousins deserved the award as a rookie in his first start leading his team against an opponent who was on a winning streak with a good defense and dropping 38 points on them to keep the Skins playoff berth alive. He also deserves some carryover accolades from last week for finishing a comeback against the Ravens which, while he made it look easy, was actually a pretty incredible thing to accomplish. Down eight points with less than a minute, and they won.

I hope this helps some of you to deal with your moral hangups about online voting.

The Ravens game should have absolutely no bearing on him winning the award.

If Wilson's performance wasn't enough to inspire his fans to vote for him, then does it deserve to win an award based on fan votes? Cousins faced a tougher D and it was his 1st game starting. Wilson had a better game statistically, but has played all season and played against an easier defense. Wilson played great, of course, but I don't think he was the clear-cut top performer for rookies. Considering the context rather than just going off pure stats, Cousins was just as impressive and equally deserving IMO.

I also doubt this thread, only a few pages long at the time of voting, was solely responsible for Cousins' winning. I'm sure it helped, but it is entirely possible people voting in general were more impressed/surprised with Cousins.

If Wilson's performance wasn't enough to inspire his fans to vote for him, then does it deserve to win an award based on fan votes? Cousins faced a tougher D and it was his 1st game starting. Wilson had a better game statistically, but has played all season and played against an easier defense. Wilson played great, of course, but I don't think he was the clear-cut top performer for rookies. Considering the context rather than just going off pure stats, Cousins was just as impressive and equally deserving IMO.

I also doubt this thread, only a few pages long at the time of voting, was solely responsible for Cousins' winning. I'm sure it helped, but it is entirely possible people voting in general were more impressed/surprised with Cousins.

My whole point is, these fan voting things are pretty ridiculous. We obviously have a lot more fans than the Seahawks, so it's not surprising that Wilson didn't get enough votes.

You can make a case for Cousins. But he still shouldn't have won. And RG3 shouldn't have won the week we beat the Giants. Hell, he wasn't even the best rookie on his own team that night. Now if/when RG3 wins rookie of the year, then that would be an accomplishment.

It's a dumb award. I mean, just look at the MNF game where RG3 won. He had zero business winning it that week. And honestly, I don't know why so many here are making it out to be such a big deal that we've won 9 of the 15 weeks. So what. It's not like our players deserved to win it each week they did. It's nothing more than a stupid popularity contest, imo.

You know what though? No one is going to remember that Russel Wilson should have won that week 15 rookie of the week award. "Almost" doesn't go on a resume. The only thing on the record is that Kirk Cousins won. Losers get forgot. This was a complete FAN VOTE. So just enjoy it for what it is. If we have won it 9 out of 15 weeks then its a tribute to us the fans and we should be proud to honor players with our dedication to a system that ENCOURAGES voting over and over and over. The fans of the Seahawks, Vikings, et al. aren't as good as we are at honoring our players and as small of a win as that may be we should celebrate it. Cheers.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2012 at 07:34 PM ----------

My whole point is, these fan voting things are pretty ridiculous. We obviously have a lot more fans than the Seahawks, so it's not surprising that Wilson didn't get enough votes.

You can make a case for Cousins. But he still shouldn't have won. And RG3 shouldn't have won the week we beat the Giants. Hell, he wasn't even the best rookie on his own team that night. Now if/when RG3 wins rookie of the year, then that would be an accomplishment.

Well we know one thing for sure.....RG3 will DEFINITELY win the Pepsi Max Rookie of The Year Award. LOL.

You know what though? No one is going to remember that Russel Wilson should have won that week 15 rookie of the week award. "Almost" doesn't go on a resume. The only thing on the record is that Kirk Cousins won. Losers get forgot. This was a complete FAN VOTE. So just enjoy it for what it is. If we have won it 9 out of 15 weeks then its a tribute to us the fans and we should be proud to honor players with our dedication to a system that ENCOURAGES voting over and over and over. The fans of the Seahawks, Vikings, et al. aren't as good as we are at honoring our players and as small of a win as that may be we should celebrate it. Cheers.
You're missing the point. Why should we be "proud" that we voted for a guy that shouldn't have won the award we were voting for?

ANY voting system in sports that has fans voting, chances are it's a dumb process. Just look at the MLB and NBA All Star (mostly MLB) games. Complete jokes.

You're missing the point. Why should we be "proud" that we voted for a guy that shouldn't have won the award we were voting for?

ANY voting system in sports that has fans voting, chances are it's a dumb process. Just look at the MLB and NBA All Star (mostly MLB) games. Complete jokes.

No, YOU'RE missing the point. You should be mad at the NFL for putting this system in place, not at us the fans for participating in the way the system asks us to. It tells us its a fan vote, and not only that you vote and it immediately displays "Vote Again". If it's a fan vote and we win the award, the fans win it for the player and that's fun for both parties. If it cheapens the award for you that's great but don't take it out on us, take it out them for putting a system in that you don't like. Like many have already mentioned, if there weren't other deserving candidates they wouldn't have other nominees and they wouldn't put it to a fan vote. BUT THEY DO. So just enjoy that we won it.

No, YOU'RE missing the point. You should be mad at the NFL for putting this system in place, not at us the fans for participating in the way the system asks us to. It tells us its a fan vote, and not only that you vote and it immediately displays "Vote Again". If it's a fan vote and we win the award, the fans win it for the player and that's fun for both parties. If it cheapens the award for you that's great but don't take it out on us, take it out them for putting a system in that you don't like. Like many have already mentioned, if there weren't other deserving candidates they wouldn't have other nominees and they wouldn't put it to a fan vote. BUT THEY DO. So just enjoy that we won it.
Mad?..:ols: I'm not even close to mad, man. And, fwiw, I've participated in those voting things at the NFL's site. But only when I feel one of our players is deserving.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2012 at 11:01 PM ----------

Shanahan should get strong consideration for coach of the year.
He will get consideration, especially if we win the East. But I bet it ends up going to someone like Mike Smith.

Disagree. I can't see how you believe that Wilson is a clear cut winner. I compare Kirk's and Wilson's stats and their about even. Reason Kirk get's the edge is because he faced a better defense in which it was his first career start. Yes, bias voting is going on, but Kirk outplayed every rookie last week and earned the award.

But I do agree about the other week you are referring to. Didn't think RG3 was #1 the other week when we played Giants.

Mad?..:ols: I'm not even close to mad, man. And, fwiw, I've participated in those voting things at the NFL's site. But only when I feel one of our players is deserving.

---------- Post added December-22nd-2012 at 11:01 PM ----------

He will get consideration, especially if we win the East. But I bet it ends up going to someone like Mike Smith.

Actually... coach of the year usually goes to a coach that has a team with a season better then what is expected from that team. Look at the history of the award: last year was Jim Harbaugh, of course the 49ers shocked everyone with their extraordinary season last year so Harbaugh was the easy choice. Marvin Lewis in 09 when Bengals made a rather shocking run to the playoffs, Mike Smith in 08 when Matt Ryan was a rookie, no one expected much from the Falcons. Sean Payton in 06 after the Saints suffered through years of mediocrity before him. Based on this, I'd give Shanahan a great shot to win the award if the Skins win the East because no one expected the Skins to win the division and most believe we would finish last. I don't give Mike Smith much of a chance simply because everyone expected the Falcons to be where they are now. I would say Gary Kubiak and Pete Carroll are the biggest competition for coach of the year.

Shanahan should get strong consideration for coach of the year.

Yes, he'll be in the running. Any coach that takes a roster and essentially starts from scratch with a 3-year plan, then goes from Worst to First in that 3rd year has done so because of what has manifested through extremely hard work and dedication, together with inginuity and a continually evolving wisdom for the game. He get's my vote.

Disagree. I can't see how you believe that Wilson is a clear cut winner. I compare Kirk's and Wilson's stats and their about even. Reason Kirk get's the edge is because he faced a better defense in which it was his first career start. Yes, bias voting is going on, but Kirk outplayed every rookie last week and earned the award.

But I do agree about the other week you are referring to. Didn't think RG3 was #1 the other week when we played Giants.

Show me where I said Wilson was the "clear cut winner". I never said anything close to that. In fact, I think I said you could make a case for Cousins this week, but not RG3 the week he won at after beating the Giants. With that said, I still think Wilson was a little more deserving this week, and I feel that any voting system in sports that allows fans to vote is stupid.

---------- Post added December-23rd-2012 at 03:16 AM ----------

Actually... coach of the year usually goes to a coach that has a team with a season better then what is expected from that team. Look at the history of the award: last year was Jim Harbaugh, of course the 49ers shocked everyone with their extraordinary season last year so Harbaugh was the easy choice. Marvin Lewis in 09 when Bengals made a rather shocking run to the playoffs, Mike Smith in 08 when Matt Ryan was a rookie, no one expected much from the Falcons. Sean Payton in 06 after the Saints suffered through years of mediocrity before him. Based on this, I'd give Shanahan a great shot to win the award if the Skins win the East because no one expected the Skins to win the division and most believe we would finish last. I don't give Mike Smith much of a chance simply because everyone expected the Falcons to be where they are now. I would say Gary Kubiak and Pete Carroll are the biggest competition for coach of the year.
With all due respect, I think a lot of people had the Texans where they are right now, too. And to a lesser extent, the Seahawks. You're forgetting, many felt Seattle would start Matt Flynn and be in the running for their division because of the overall talent on that team (especially the defense).

And I'm not sure if everyone expected the Falcons to be 13-2 and clinch homefield with a week left in the season. Not after losing 24-2 in the playoffs last year. I think you're underestimating the job Smith has done. And also, as I said, if the Redskins win the East, then certainly Shanahan is in the conversation. And, like you, I would agree that if that happens, he should probably win coach of year, yes.

Archived