Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When will the NFL start actually taking DUI's seriously?

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Here we go again, another NFL player selfishly risking their own life and the lives of others by drinking and driving.

Unfortunately this time, a teammate was killed. This is not the first time an NFL player has been arrested for a DUI this season and not the first time an NFL player has killed someone because they decided to get behind the wheel drunk.

Since 1998, this is the third NFL player who has died as a result of someone driving drunk. This doesn't include other people who have been hurt or killed (Stallworth for example).

So when will the NFL start taking this seriously? What do you believe the punishment from the NFL should be for an NFL player caught drinking and driving over the legal limit?

Let's take into account that the NFLPA has a program where any player can be picked up just about anywhere I believe, at any time by a shuttle service to be taken home (and your car will be taken home also). This at $85 per hour (chump change for most NFL athletes).

The US has been getting more and more draconian with punishing DUI's for the last 30 years. Over that time DUI's have consistently increases.

The failed fire and brimstone policy which turns otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals, so completely controls every facite of this debate that any

call for sanity or rational discussion on this topic it met with irrational defilade from the proponents of the status quo.

---------- Post added December-10th-2012 at 02:09 PM ----------

I was thinking about this last night...i think players should be fined a large number of games..there is no reason these guys should be driving drunk...no reason at all.

A DUI for an NFL player results in a fine of 1 game check up to a maximum of $ 50,000. existing civil penalties first time DUI include mandatory substance abuse classes, mandatory victims awareness lectures, mandatory Alcohol Anonymous classes, loss of driving privileges for 1 year, and up to 30 day jail sentence...

How much tougher do you think they should make it?

The US has been getting more and more draconian with punishing DUI's for the last 30 years. Over that time DUI's have consistently increases.

The failed fire and brimstone policy which turns otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals, so completely controls every facite of this debate that any

call for sanity or rational discussion on this topic it met with irrational defilade from the proponents of the status quo.

this

and to extend the logic, since Sheriff Goodell has come into town and started enacted "law and order," NFL players have gotten into any more of a mess of the field and have a bad public relations image.

A DUI for an NFL player results in a fine of 1 game check up to a maximum of $ 50,000. existing civil penalties first time DUI include mandatory substance abuse classes, mandatory victims awareness lectures, mandatory Alcohol Anonymous classes, loss of driving privileges for 1 year, and up to 30 day jail sentence...

Since NHTSA began recording alcohol-related statistics in 1982, drunk driving fatalities have decreased 52% from 21,113 in 1982.

I don't know about the total # of incidents but the population has skyrocketed since 1982 also so total # is a bit misleading. You'd have to get the rate per person instead of total numbers.

Um... "otherwise law abiding" is the biggest red herring. A guy who commits murder once is "otherwise law abiding" also. He's still punished for it.

DUI is reckless and malicious. You put your life in danger, but also the lives of COUNTLESS others.

I am not preaching from the pulpit on this one though, as I have certainly made my mistakes with this in the past. I just haven't had to pay the penalty. But I think it needs to be taken more seriously than how you are portraying it.

None of the above. I don't think there should a special set of punishments for DUI's in the NFL.

This to me is unfounded. It's not a matter of holding athletes to a higher standard (because in the end, they are humans and make mistakes like the rest of us) but, as an NFL player, you represent and affect the NFL brand. The NFL has a duty to protect their brand, image and reputation. How many of us know people who've been fired by their employer after DUI charges? So how is this different from the NFL not wanting its players to risk the lives of themselves and others and thus affecting their national image?

This to me is unfounded. It's not a matter of holding athletes to a higher standard (because in the end, they are humans and make mistakes like the rest of us) but, as an NFL player, you represent and affect the NFL brand. The NFL has a duty to protect their brand, image and reputation. How many of us know people who've been fired by their employer after DUI charges? So how is this different from the NFL not wanting its players to risk the lives of themselves and others and thus affecting their national image?

NFL players are not that expendable as Joe Schmo is. That will never happen.

And since General Roger has taken over, it seems that things are getting worse.

It certainly is a matter of holding them to a higher standard and you're even singling out DUI as matter of special significance. When is the NFL going to start taking domestic abuse seriously? Should we have a special set of punishments assigned for every potential crime NFL players may commit? It seems that every time I turn on ESPN someone is getting fined or suspended by the NFL and it's a trend that needs to be reversed not expanded.

It certainly is a matter of holding them to a higher standard and you're even singling out DUI as matter of special significance. When is the NFL going to start taking domestic abuse seriously? Should we have a special set of punishments assigned for every potential crime NFL players may commit? It seems that every time I turn on ESPN someone is getting fined or suspended by the NFL and it's a trend that needs to be reversed not expanded.

I most certainly am not holding them to a higher moral standard (I don't think DUI's as an athlete make you any "worse" or "foolish" of a person than non-athletes) and again, every person faces potential additional punishment by their employer for drunk driving and football is work for these guys so what higher standard are they being held to? I know people who've been fired for getting excessively drunk and out of line at company holiday parties.

Domestic violence is not near as clear cut a guilty crime and not as readily avoidable. There is no need to throw in a pointless comparison. But if the NFL wanted to somehow tackle that behemoth they would have every right to as an employer.

Just because the NFL wants to crack down on one thing doesn't mean we have to say "well why not crack down on everything?" You see a disappointing and damaging trend, attack it, and worry about another one later if you choose to.

And yes, I believe that jaywalking is as big, obvious and damaging a trend as DUI's in the NFL and there should absolutely be additional fines/suspensions if they dare be caught doing it.

Since NHTSA began recording alcohol-related statistics in 1982, drunk driving fatalities have decreased 52% from 21,113 in 1982.

I don't know about the total # of incidents but the population has skyrocketed since 1982 also so total # is a bit misleading. You'd have to get the rate per person instead of total numbers.

MADD began their witch hunt in 1980. Since 1975 the economy is a better indication of DUI arrests in any given year than any deterrent based on how draconian our laws have become. And our laws are incredible draconian and getting more so every year...

Today DUI drivers who kill are given harsher sentences than people who kill with Knives and Guns. That's idiotic.... as are our DUI laws.

apologies, I took "fired for for DUI's" as advocating for something similar in the NFL.

No problem. And I'm not an advocate at all for banning players because of DUI's. Especially first-offense. Everyone makes mistakes and deserves a second chance. But punishment is not out of line at all to me. Certainly something that should be punished more than Peyton Manning wearing socks to honor Johnny Unitas or some dumb TD celebration.

cutting players for DUIs like it was suggested.

Hell man why don't we start by limiting their ability to hold higher office? I mean both Dick Cheney and George W. Bush were arrested / convicted for DUI and they are a hell of a lot more important than any player in the NFL.

Evidently the public didn't have a problem with electing a DUI offender President or Vice President..

Oh you know, probably never.

Maybe if the police would take DUIs more seriously...

Unfortunately, cops are largely hamstrung on this issue due to overwhelming paperwork and red tape they have to deal with. I have a friend who's a California Highway Patrol working in SoCal and he said it's so difficult to prosecute these cases because the cops just don't have the time to deal with the DUI bullcrap in addition to their other duties in just a 40 hour work week. He said essentially, the only things the cops can do immediately is have the car towed....and often times they will tow the car to the farthest tow yard in the county and not tell the defendant where it is, making him/her search on their own. It's ridiculous that's about all they can consistently do...

This entire post is hogwash...not that I'm particularly surprised. :doh:

Hell man why don't we start by limiting their ability to hold higher office? I mean both Dick Cheney and George W. Bush were arrested / convicted for DUI and they are a hell of a lot more important than any player in the NFL.

Evidently the public didn't have a problem with electing a DUI offender President or Vice President..

Now you are really just making ridiculous comparisons. The NFL punishing, not banning, punishing, a current employee for life-risking and unnecessary behavior that damages the league's brand and reputation in an effort to send a non-permanent message is not whatsoever, related to electing a President who had a DUI charge decades ago that was dealt with at the time. You cannot serious with this, right?

MADD began their witch hunt in 1980. Since 1975 the economy is a better indication of DUI arrests in any given year than any deterrent based on how draconian our laws have become. And our laws are incredible draconian and getting more so every year...

Today DUI drivers who kill are given harsher sentences than people who kill with Knives and Guns. That's idiotic.... as are our DUI laws.

So why have drunk driving deaths been cut in half over the past 30 years? Luck? Divine intervention? We've gone through economic ups and downs since the early 80s. It would explain a decrease to a certain extent, but not a 52% decrease over a span of three decades.

If we had stats on the average sentence of DUI killers and gun-related homicides, I'd bet the overwhelming majority of longer sentences would be those that shot or stabbed someone but that's just my uneducated opinion...certainly turned out okay for Donte Stallworth.

Archived