Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should win the 2012 AL MVP award?

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I respect the sabremetric obsessors but here's the reality: down the stretch Cabrera carried Detroit to the playoffs in August and September he lit it up while Mike Trout floundered and hit .257 among other decreased production.

If you ask me who is "the best player in the AL", it's Trout all-around (which by the way doesn't necessarily make you a better player period; Scottie Pippen was a better all-around player than Durant is now but Durant is the better basketball player) but the MVP was Cabrera who did something not done since the idea of landing on the moon was still just a concept AND carried his team to the playoffs down the stretch with clutch performances. Trout will get multiple MVPs in his career but it's Cabrera in 2012.

This is where I am with the debate.

---------- Post added November-15th-2012 at 12:00 PM ----------

I don't understand the notion of "Trout will get his in the future"

That literally should have no bearing on the vote.

I lean slightly toward Cabrera, but I absolutely agree with this. It's like the people that refuse to vote for an underclassman for the Heisman. Why? If they had the best year, they had the best year. We can't assume that they will replicate or surpass an amazing season. But in this case, I think Cabrera was more valuable.

If I had a vote, I would go with Trout.

Elite defender at a premium position vs. below average defense at a corner. Saving runs wins games.

Elite speed vs. poor speed. going from first to third, scoring from second, scoring from first wins games.

Higher WAR, better regular season team.

But, like the AL manager of the year, you can't really be upset if it goes the other way.

Here is another reason I will go with Cabrera, and it has something to do with the same argument I use every time debates like these come up.

If it was who was the best player in the league, I would give it to Trout. But it is Most Valuable Player. I think the Angles would still be okay without Trout, even though he had a ridiculous season by all accounts, but I dare somebody to tell me that the Tigers would have made it to the World Series without Miguel Cabrera. It wasn't going to happen.

Here is another reason I will go with Cabrera, and it has something to do with the same argument I use every time debates like these come up.

If it was who was the best player in the league, I would give it to Trout. But it is Most Valuable Player. I think the Angles would still be okay without Trout, even though he had a ridiculous season by all accounts, but I dare somebody to tell me that the Tigers would have made it to the World Series without Miguel Cabrera. It wasn't going to happen.

I absolutely agree with this. But the voters themselves have been inconsistent with this. The award is Most Valuable Player, not Most Outstanding Player. There is a difference.

they werent tho. They started off the season really badly and once Trout was called up, there was an immediate turnaround. They almost made the playoffs after being completely awful beforehand.

And the award is a regular season award, not postseason. The Tigers actually underachieved this regular season but were saved by a terrible division.

I don't think so. He was easily the 2nd best player though.

how was Trout not better than Cabrera this year?

His offensive WAR was best in the AL. His defensive WAR was 7th. His total WAR was best in the AL.

Cabrera wasnt better than him in any of those categories. Cabrera had a better OBPS, but Trout was 2nd. Trout stole the most bases and scored the most runs.

Dude was the best player in MLB this year, not just the AL.

And because of three random numbers, someone is really trying to make a case that Cabrera was better.

The Angels weren't OK without Trout though, they got off to a very rough start before Trout got the call up.

As much as i trust some of the *new* stats to evaluate players, part of my love of baseball comes from the romance with the history of the game. Despite the way that the roids era soliled history and the abiilty to compare players, that is still one of my great pleasures in following the game. Whether we still consider them the best stats to evaluate players or not, the triple crown is the crown jewel of baseball awards. Being on a list with Ted Williams, Mickey, Gehrig, Foxx, Hornsby and all is a historic achievement.

My vote is Miggy

I think ppl forget that they missed Victor Martinez the whole year...Miguel stepped up big time

I didnt forget, and Im not saying Cabrera didnt step up. But Trout was more valuable to the Angles than Cabrera was.

And the Tigers got saved by a bad division.

The Tigers were EXPECTED to be at least a world series contender. I think people forget that.

how was Trout not better than Cabrera this year?

His offensive WAR was best in the AL. His defensive WAR was 7th. His total WAR was best in the AL.

Cabrera wasnt better than him in any of those categories. Cabrera had a better OBPS, but Trout was 2nd. Trout stole the most bases and scored the most runs.

Dude was the best player in MLB this year, not just the AL.

And because of three random numbers, someone is really trying to make a case that Cabrera was better.

I'm not big into sabermetrics, I'm sorry. I watched a guy carry his team in September and October to the division title while Trout came up short. WAR doesn't change what I saw with my eyes.

I'm not big into sabermetrics, I'm sorry. I watched a guy carry his team in September and October to the division title while Trout came up short. WAR doesn't change what I saw with my eyes.

mindblown.png

games in September and October do not count more than games in July and August. Trout's traditional numbers stack up well against any player in the game. Again, he lead MLB in runs despite missing the first month of the season. He lead the league in stolen bases despite missing the first month of the season. He was the best defensive CF in baseball as well.

And that annoys me with baseball fans a lot, they dont value defense at all for some reason.

Mike Trout was MLB's most valuable player this year as well as the best.

Archived