Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I can't believe the NFL didn't fine Centers

scottb

From the Washington Times:

The NFL decided not to fine New England Patriots fullback Larry Centers for his late hit on Redskins linebacker Jeremiah Trotter last week. Centers, who appeared to spear Trotter after a play was over, was flagged for a personal foul. ...

If Carrier had made that hit a couple of years ago, he'd have been suspended.

If Arrington made that hit this year he would have been suspended and fined. I don't know if it is an offensive/defensive thing, but that's terrible. Centers admitted as much as it was an intentional spearing when he said that he would have pulled up if he knew it was Trotter.

Other than the fact the Centers hit was completely legal and well done and what you teach NFL players to do, I think the NFL is crazy not to fine him. Oh, wait, he shouldn't have even had the flag thrown against him much less be fined after the fact. Sheesh.

Art,

Aren't they taught to look at what their hitting. That was a spear. Head down and after the play had ended effectively, if not by whistle. The hit could not have sprung or done anything advantageous to the offense except to eliminate a defensive player by penalty.

Originally posted by Burgold

Art,

Aren't they taught to look at what their hitting. That was a spear. Head down and after the play had ended effectively, if not by whistle. The hit could not have sprung or done anything advantageous to the offense except to eliminate a defensive player by penalty.

I coach 6-8 year olds and we tell them "SEE what you hit, hit what you SEE."

Originally posted by Yusuf06

I watched the game again yesterday and it really wasn't a late hit. He did spear Trotter with his helmet though. It should have been a penalty and a fine.

It was late enough, though. The play was over. Centers had his head down.

It should have been at least a fine.

I used to like Centers. He made some nice plays for us a few years ago, and I thought Marty was wrong for cutting him.

But that hit was a cheap shot, and he knows it.

We're the Redskins. Why fine someone who illegally speared one of our players? I mean, come on, the NFL needs to be consistent. And I think they were consistent, in that they once again backed off from taking action on a player who cared nothing about the safety of an opponent.

Nothing changes with officials. I hope we go to the SB soon. I hope we begin absolutely killing teams, regardless of the no fines and no calls. :mad:

Personally, I think it is absolutely hypocritical of the NFL to not levy a fine on that play. That hit was the F'n definition of an illegal hit!! No team in the league teaches players to hit like that. You are supposed to have your head up and tackle with your shoulders. Centers not only lead with his helmet aimed it at his head, he intentionally left his feet aiming at his head and sprung himself using his helmet as a weapon. It was clear that his intention wasn't to make a block, but to hurt someone. I lost ALOT of respect for Centers. Not fining him is only saying to other offensive players that because they're not on defense it is okay to do that sort of thing. I have seen suspensions and huge fines levied on players where the hit was accidental!! This is an outrage and unforgivable by the NFL and there is no excuse for it. From their rules on the field to their inconsistant and biased fines on players, the league is an absolute MESS!!!

Lates.

Interesting minutia on the hit by Centers on Trotter... both went to my alma mater... Stephen F. Austin State University in Nacogdoches, TX... I'm sure it is the first time one Lumberjack has laid out the other in an NFL game to that extreme...

BTW... also the alma mater of Mark Mosely...

Archived