Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Ice vs. III

MattFancy

102/147. 69.4% completion rate. 1,162 yards. 11 touchdowns. 2 interceptions. 112.1 rating.

86/124. 69.4% completion rate. 1,070 yards. 4 touchdowns. 1 interception. 103.2 rating.

Those are the numbers in the comparison between veteran quarterback Matt Ryan, the leagues' top passer, and rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III headed into Sunday's showdown at FedEx Field. Both sets of passing numbers are interesting in their own right. Griffin for his ability to move the pocket and make defenders miss while giving himself and the team an opportunity to make a play. Ryan for his ability to stand tall and fearless in the pocket and locate his weapons down field. They've gotten to where they are in different ways, but the results are extremely similar, with the lone exception being touchdown passes which favors Mr. Ryan significantly. Obviously, there is more to Griffin's game than the pass, which brings their numbers even closer.

I have always had an admiration for Ryan's game. The guy is a classic quarterback. And I believe he's one of the absolute most underrated quarterback's to walk on a NFL field in quite some time. Fathom this: Matt Ryan's worst completion percentage in a season has been 58.3%. Every other season he's completed over 60% of his passes. His touchdown to interception ratio is fantastic. He's thrown 106 touchdowns and only 48 interceptions. So that means that for every interception he throws, he throws 2.2 touchdown passes. In his five year career thus far, he's lead 12 fourth quarter comebacks and 17 game winning drives.

And his record speaks for itself. 47-19.

Ryan, however, isn't exactly fleet of the foot. He's mobile in the pocket and can evade some pressure, but he's not taking off downfield and hurting you with his legs. That's not his game. In his career he has 5 rushing touchdowns. Robert Griffin III has that already (yes, I'm counting the one they gave Garcon on the "fumble" vs. Tampa Bay. Why? Because I'm stubborn :ols:). Ryan has 407 rushing yards for his career. Griff has 252 in his first four games.

These two are two of the best in today's new era of quarterbacks. The younger guys. And Sunday should prove to be a lot of fun to watch if both team's fan bases can stomach watching their opposing quarterback systematically march down field on a whim.

Prototype vs. Prototype. Pocket passer vs. Pocket mover.

If you're a fan of football, watch how the two of them disect defenses differently and move in a different fashion. Watch how quickly they release the football. And if you're a Redskin fan, hope that Ryan has an off day

Oh, and Falcon fans... Brace yourselves for the new era of the Washington Redskins. :)

I apologize for all the gushing, by the way. I like both these guys a lot and wish them both the best... Except for Sunday and any other future Falcon/Redskin matchups. When that happens, I hope Ryan throws 8 interceptions. And fumbles. Six times. And we recover them all.

---------- Post added October-4th-2012 at 09:42 AM ----------

Definitely a great QB match-up. If you like offense, this is the game to watch this weekend.

How did MattFancy's post wind up first? :ols:

I apologize for all the gushing, by the way. I like both these guys a lot and wish them both the best... Except for Sunday and any other future Falcon/Redskin matchups. When that happens, I hope Ryan throws 8 interceptions. And fumbles. Six times. And we recover them all.

Lol I have no idea.

The same thing is happening this morning over in the ATN forum lol

Imagine how great III would be if he had White and Jones as wideouts. Wouldn't be fair.

Well, let's be fair here, too. Those two guys are absolutely phenomenal. There is no way around it. That said, in Ryan's 2010 Pro Bowl campaign, he only had White. Jones wasn't in the NFL yet. The Falcons went 13-3. Now, White had a fantastic year, with 115 grabs for 1389 yards, but their second best receiver was Michael Jenkins.

Roddy has been PHENOMENAL for the Falcons and in particular, Matt Ryan. That is extremely true. And the guy would be talented every where. If Griffin had him they'd be an extremely tough combo to stop. I agree there, too :)

Well, let's be fair here, too. Those two guys are absolutely phenomenal. There is no way around it. That said, in Ryan's 2010 Pro Bowl campaign, he only had White. Jones wasn't in the NFL yet. The Falcons went 13-3. Now, White had a fantastic year, with 115 grabs for 1389 yards, but their second best receiver was Michael Jenkins.

Roddy has been PHENOMENAL for the Falcons and in particular, Matt Ryan. That is extremely true. And the guy would be talented every where. If Griffin had him they'd be an extremely tough combo to stop. I agree there, too :)

Wasn't White a late bloomer too? I remember him dropping balls repeatedly from Vick then taking off when Ryan got there. Of course, that also speaks to Vick and his inaccuracy too but just a thought. Maybe we have a Roddy White type breakout player on the roster already. One can hope.

I didn't realize it says I started the thread too now lol

Your OP blows. My reply to your OP was much more detailed.

I should have just started this thread.

:ols:

EDIT: Now my reply went above your post.

WHAT KIND OF VOODOO IS THIS!?!?!

Wasn't White a late bloomer too? I remember him dropping balls repeatedly from Vick then taking off when Ryan got there. Of course, that also speaks to Vick and his inaccuracy too but just a thought. Maybe we have a Roddy White type breakout player on the roster already. One can hope.

Yes, you could start to see White we going to blow up big though in 2007 if he ever got a QB throwing to him.

Archived