Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Jason Reid, Robert Griffin III’s skill-set is put on display, as Redskins add more to their offense

s0crates

Jason Reid's piece this week is a good read, so I thought I would put it here under the lights for all to see and comment on. Reid has some good analysis here. He covers Shanny's play calling in depth, and I found myself agreeing with most everything he said.

TAMPA — One game won’t end the debate about whether the Washington Redskins are correctly using rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III. But it’s clear the Redskins have enormous potential on offense because of their emerging young star.

In only his fourth NFL game, Griffin displayed franchise-quarterback poise Sunday while leading the Redskins to a 24-22 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. With his headset malfunctioning, Griffin could not communicate electronically with the coaching staff on the final, game-winning drive. Still, he kept cool and called all the plays.

Impressive early as he directed Washington to an 18-point, first-half lead, Griffin was even better in the closing moments of the fourth quarter after Tampa Bay took a one-point lead on a field goal. Griffin took command of the huddle when the Redskins began at their 20-yard line with 1 minute 42 seconds remaining to play. On the first four plays of the game-winning drive, he completed three passes to three receivers for 39 yards and scrambled for another 15-yard gain.

Place kicker Billy Cundiff — who missed his first three field goal attempts — connected on a 41-yarder with three seconds to play. Although Cundiff’s kick provided the difference for the Redskins, who evened their record at 2-2 after consecutive losses, Griffin’s strong performance made the upbeat closing possible.

Griffin’s sound decision-making and accuracy (he completed 74 percent of his passes) got the Redskins started. Coach Mike Shanahan and his son, Kyle, Washington’s play-caller, were determined to do a better job of limited Griffin’s exposure to unnecessary hits while also achieving the creativity on offense they want. On Sunday, they succeeded.

With Tampa Bay’s defense struggling to contain Griffin’s passing (323 yards, 102.4 passer rating), rookie running back Alfred Morris benefited from the problems Griffin presents to opposing defenses by having his first 100-yard rushing game. Morris’s big game also helped Griffin, who was pounded on designed running plays against Cincinnati a week ago, but ran only occasionally by design against Tampa Bay.

The Redskins’ beleaguered secondary showed improvement at times in the first half. The defensive backfield, however, collapsed again as the Redskins almost squandered their big lead.

Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett hasn’t found the right combination of cornerbacks and safeties. It’s beginning to look like the group is as good as it will be, which isn’t close to being good enough.

Griffin, though, is very good. And on Sunday, the Shanahans’ coaching helped to make him even a little better. Let’s examine what they did:

Less shotgun

Redskins fans expressed alarm after watching Griffin get whacked like a piñata during the 38-31 loss to the Bengals in Week 3. The Bengals’ defensive ends, in particular, punished Griffin throughout the game.

After the Shanahans made some halftime adjustments in personnel and play-calling, the Bengals were less aggressive in attacking Griffin in the second half of that game. The Shanahans made even more significant changes against Tampa Bay.

The rest (the good stuff, actually) is here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/robert-griffin-iiis-skill-set-is-put-on-display-as-redskins-add-more-to-their-offense/2012/09/30/8d1aab18-0b5f-11e2-a310-2363842b7057_story_1.html

Robert definitely had a solid game yesterday. I expected to see more rookie mistakes from him in this point in the season. I knew he would be good but I am pleasantly surprised at how good he is. It's ironic though that we finally found a QB to lead the offense and score points and our defense can't stop teams from scoring.

my problem with Shanny's Son is only late game playcaling

He has a tendency to go away from what is working for whatever reason. The drives before the Bucs took the lead, he stopped running the ball. It almost cost us the game.

---------- Post added October-1st-2012 at 09:27 AM ----------

Robert is an absolute beast tho and we have hopefully only scratched the surface of his potential.

No complaints from me about RGIII's play. My gripes center on the poor play of the secondary and Haslett's defensive gameplan.

Hard to fault Haslett when the front 3 are getting absolutely zero push. 1 sack and 1 QB hit is just awful.

Did you all see that one running play where he handed off the ball and immediatly threw up both arms to say "I don't have the ball". I thought that was great.

Smart on his part...if he takes a hit at that point it is 15 yard penalty. His skill set if pretty varied. He can throw with nice zip and accurately. Throws well on the run. The biggest thing that he adds is the running dimension and ability to keep plays alive. On his touchdown he was at the gaol line in 2 steps. As a defender it is very hard to defend against. You stack the middle and he can beat you with a roll out throw/run. Leave any sapce in the middle and he exploits it. In order to keep his play making ability...avoid those hits.

I am not a fan of more playes where he either options or wildcats running east west...if he sees an opening, north south and SLIDE!

Hard to fault Haslett when the front 3 are getting absolutely zero push. 1 sack and 1 QB hit is just awful.

I agree w/ you to an extent. When we look at the big passing plays they're quick hitters. The bombs to Jackson and Williams. They simply beat the corner. I still haven't seen anything noteworthy out of Jenkins. Gholston just seams to be another body out there. I see Cofield creating movement while dealing w/ a double team.

One of the biggest things to me has been that hard count. I can't recall if he used it in another game but how many years were we CRYING for a QB here to use that hard count and they just never did, even a vet like Brunell who SHOULD have been able to, had the same cadence every damn time.

One of the biggest things to me has been that hard count. I can't recall if he used it in another game but how many years were we CRYING for a QB here to use that hard count and they just never did, even a vet like Brunell who SHOULD have been able to, had the same cadence every damn time.

"Green 40......Green 40.....hut"

Even though we lost against the Bengals, RG3 was leading the team down the field. I feel pretty confident if we have the ball at the end of games to win. However, I feel like we've been getting to timid when we are up.

Exactly, we came back from 17 down and then almost from 14 points down in one game. We almost tied the Rams (though it hinges on a field goal opportunity, I guess and Morgan making the dumb decision to not for the first down.) Basically, every game he has responded to the other team and made critical plays to keep us alive. I would expect almost NO quarterback to do that in his first four starts.

Before the season began, Mike was quoted as saying that RG3 was capable of doing things never before seen in the NFL.

I think we're starting to see glimpses of that. :)

Kinda like a hand off to Banks who throws it back to RGIII, who then completes a pass.

Between stuff like that, the option plays and his ability to take off and run, our offense should drive all the defensive

coordinators to drink.

You're right about the front three but I fault Haslett because he is having the other eight guys fall back into zone coverage. They had good success applying pressure vs. NO but since then nada. Of course the secondary is so horrible it's all academic, anyway.

Archived