Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| Happy Thoughts Alfred Morris Looks a Heckuva Lot Like Terrell Davis Through Two Games

rd421

I appreciate that you add to the discussion here at ES but it seems to me SOW has been using more and more hyperbole and comparisons without factual basis.

Maybe Morris is the next player in line to crank out a 2000 yard season. I certainly I hope so. However its much more likely he is the next 1000 yard back Shanahan gets a few seasons out of. There's nothing wrong with that. Comparisons to T.D. are a little premature.

The comparisons that struck me more than anything are physical size and measurables. CLEARLY I am not calling Morris a HOF back after two games just pointing out similarities.

But if to refer I could have writtent the 250th Josh Morgan piece?

Really wanted to focus on a bright spot here, and bring up a topic that hasn't been brought up in 2 weeks.

Just remember when he puts up 1500 plus you heard it here first LOL

The comparisons that struck me more than anything are physical size and measurables. CLEARLY I am not calling Morris a HOF back after two games just pointing out similarities.

But if to refer I could have writtent the 250th Josh Morgan piece?

Really wanted to focus on a bright spot here, and bring up a topic that hasn't been brought up in 2 weeks.

I liked the read! I think your right about everything. Regardless if it's premature or not I think morris is the real effing deal! Morris runs like he is a wrecking ball! I love his heart and his never quit attitude! Hope he does hit 1,500 and solidifies the redskins rb position for years to come!

The physical size doesn't match up, and I think someone already said they don't really look anything alike. T.D. at 5'11" and 210 is sleeker than the "Butler" at 5'10" and 218, a much thicker runningback.

Alfred "The Butler" Morris is a bright spot, but you could have easily written about him without the comparison to an old Shanahan running back, just to do so. And when/if he puts up 1500+ yards, I don't think we will look back at this article. There were lots of folks here and in the media who said he was having one of the best training camps (before preseason) - I even heard Tim & Pat on Sirius NFL Radio talk about him after being at camp one day, how he looked like a guy who could be starting for this team at some point this year.

It's a good read, but the comparison to T.D. just makes me scratch my head.

I always appreciate the write-ups from anybody willing to put in the effort so definitely good job on that. However, I like to think of Alfred Morris as, well, Alfred Morris. Not really down for the comparisons to other previous players. That's where I think ES can get kind of silly, always worrying about how people stack up against other players. Griffin is no Vick, Griffin is Steve Young. Can Niles Paul be Shannon Sharpe? Is Alfred Morris the next T.D.? I'm guilty of it at times, and I'll admit that, but sometimes the comparisons just get out of hand.

He's putting in work and I love what he's doing for the team, especially since we got him at a bargain price (also a sign of the OL talent/scheme). Let's take it a step at a time.

That being said, I have full confidence in this offense. I cannot wait until the defense starts to look like they did last year.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2012/sep/22/kyle-shanahan-forget-alfred-morris-40-time-because/

“I think a lot of those fast guys, those combine-fast guys, you don’t see as many long runs,” offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said Thursday. “Game speed is about carrying your pads. It’s pressing blocks, putting your foot violently in the ground, and how much can you accelerate out of the cut? Alf is a guy, who, when he puts his foot down, he actually gains momentum from that. He can put his foot in the ground and explode out of it and actually be faster coming out of a cut than he was going into it.

“A lot of those fast guys, it’s like they’re playing on ice sometimes. It takes them a while to stop and then they’ve got to re-situate their hips, and they get going again. Alf is very similar to Terrell Davis in that way. Terrell wasn’t a fast guy, but he hit that hole, and if there was a lane, he found that crease, and he was gone. If a guy was really, really fast and right behind him, then he’d catch him, but usually he was pressing, making guys overrun the hole and then cutting back. And once you get guys to overrun the hole, they’re not going to catch you.”

Actually, for grins, I tested this out. Having an average age of 26 would put us at 10th youngest. So I multipled 26 x 50 to get 1300 team years, a nice target, then added (three) 38 year olds to represent Fletcher, Moss, and Rocca. I know that aren't all 38, it was just an example. 38*3 = 114, so 1,414 team years / 53 players = 26.68.It's not a perfect example, but it's reasonable to assume that an outlying older player on a team of normal aged players would increase the average age by about .2 to .3 if they're in the 37-38 range. Based on the average ages published as of week 1, that would put us around 15th youngest. That's still not one of the youngest teams in the league.

What's the number if you look ONLY at starters?

Also, a lot of teams have gone through major youth movements in recent years.

Game speed is about carrying your pads. It’s pressing blocks, putting your

foot violently in the ground, and how much can you accelerate out of the cut?

Alf is a guy, who, when he puts his foot down, he actually gains momentum from

that. He can put his foot in the ground and explode out of it and actually be

faster coming out of a cut than he was going into it.

There are times when (healthy) Helu would stick his foot in the ground and actual dirt would kick up in the air, its one of my first and most vivid memories of watching Helu as a rookie.

There are times when (healthy) Helu would stick his foot in the ground and actual dirt would kick up in the air, its one of my first and most vivid memories of watching Helu as a rookie.

I thought that was an insightful quote from KS, given you can be assured those are really Mike's 'words'....

Morris is definitely a solid runner, and I'd like to see him getting a minimum of 20 carries a game from here on out if possible. He's solid in a lot of areas where Helu and Royster lack, vision, one-cut get up field running. And he's fine with contact. Helu was fast but always seemed to wither under contact, but Morris powers through it.

Hopefully, as the season progresses, our Oline continues to gel, get better at opening holes, and allow Morris to pick up chunks of yardage. He can power through weaker tackle attempts, which will equate to large gains if the line opens holes for him.

This is nothing against Morris because I really like the kid and he is very talented but I don't really like how quickly people dismiss or discredit Helu. Helu was an absolute stud last year in the passing and running game and is an explosive player. I have zero recollection of him "withering" under contact. In fact, I specifically remember him welcoming contact and the New York Jets defenders (of all players/teams) telling the media after the game how much heart he played with and that he was definitely the player on our team they were most impressed with at how hard he played.

And while everyone continues to rave about Morris' attitude, (again I love it too) do not be so quick to forget how humble and hard-working Helu is as well. Watch any of his interviews. Or recall the feel-good story of him declining to buy a pair of nike's when out with Niles Paul and Gomes after he found out they cost over $100. I like Morris but I'm a little disappointed we've seen so little of Helu.

This is nothing against Morris because I really like the kid and he is very talented but I don't really like how quickly people dismiss or discredit Helu. Helu was an absolute stud last year in the passing and running game and is an explosive player. I have zero recollection of him "withering" under contact..........I like Morris but I'm a little disappointed we've seen so little of Helu.
I know right.

Although I think Morris is better at running through contact then Helu is no slouch in that regard.

In fact I think this the only area I think Morris is better then Helu.

However Helu has been banged up all pre-season and ultimately I think not being 100% due to achilles injuries x2 are holding him back from seeing the field.

I know right.

Although I think Morris is better at running through contact then Helu is no slouch in that regard.

In fact I think this the only area I think Morris is better then Helu.

However Helu has been banged up all pre-season and ultimately I think not being 100% due to achilles injuries x2 are holding him back from seeing the field.

Yeah, I agree with everything you said. Helu never shied from contact and he definitely picked up yards after contact or would fall forward but Morris is definitely on another level in that regard, he's a thick shorter guy with a lot of power in his lower body. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Helu is still less than 100% but I'm hoping when/if he is he gets some more time on the field because I think he's an outstanding player and a perfect offset to Morris.

Take it easy dude. TD was a near hall of famer, AM is a fantasy flex pick.

Davis and Morris are very similar. I think many forget that Terrell Davis was a 6th rounder that barely made the team. To me these guys are basically a mirror image. Same height , weight, etc.

Well calling the 24th youngest team is a pretty good stretching of "one of the youngest."

Considering the difference between averages of the age is about .1 or .2 of a year, I would not say it is a big deal. Looking at the average age of the rosters it is something like everyone is hovering around 25 at lowest and 26 at highest, the difference between oldest and youngest is only like a year tops. It really doesn't matter, what an overrated stat.

Morris looked pretty good today, especially at the beginning of the second half.

They half to keep feeding him the ball.

I hope Trent Williams is not out for any length of time.

Agree with all dat. We've got a good runner and need to use him.

Got an update in the gameday thread...he's getting an MRI.

Archived