Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per His Twitter: Safety Jordan Pugh is a Redskin

CRobi21

Nice pickup with Pugh, I hope he plays better than expected, even if just on STs (since Gomes looked AWESOME yesterday).

As for long snapper, we should just do what we always do, ask Lorenzo to learn a new position. :ols:

Heck, at this pace LA may end up learning to kick, punt, and play QB before his career is over.

PRESS RELEASE

September 10, 2012

REDSKINS SIGN S JORDAN PUGH

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed free agent safety Jordan Pugh. The Redskins also placed safety Jordan Bernstine on the Reserve/Injured list.

Pugh (5-11, 210) was originally drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft (202nd overall) out of Texas A&M. He was released by the Panthers on August 31, 2012.

Pugh appeared in 27 games with three starts for the Panthers. In his two seasons (2010-11), he amassed 22 tackles, one interception, three passes defensed and one forced fumble. Pugh also periodically handled kick return duties during his time with the Panthers, totaling 269 yards on 11 returns with a long of 32 yards.

Pugh, 24, played collegiately at Texas A&M, where he appeared in 50 games with 37 starts. He finished his collegiate career with 221 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble, four fumble recoveries, four interceptions, and 19 passes defensed.

He attended Plano West H.S. in Plano, Texas., where he was ranked as the nation’s No. 13 cornerback prospect by Scout.com. Pugh was born on Jan. 28, 1988.

Bernstine (5-11, 214) joined the Redskins as a seventh round pick (217th overall) in the 2012 NFL Draft.

eshead9sjpg.jpg

I hope he is half as good as the defensive secondary player we got from A&M about 30 years ago a guy by the name of Darryl Green, I think his name is..at least i think he went to A&M being an Australian i am not sure, but welcome to the best franchise in the NFL hope your stay is long enjoyable and rewarding to everyone

... even if just on STs (since Gomes looked AWESOME yesterday)...

I didn't watch the game but read the play by play on cbssports. I read Gomes had some costly personal foul and passing inteference penalties. Maybe I'm overeracting or cbssports got the names wrong (as they usually do) but I hope Gomes plays a lot smarter that that cause they can bite us later on.

I hope he is half as good as the defensive secondary player we got from A&M about 30 years ago a guy by the name of Darryl Green, I think his name is..at least i think he went to A&M being an Australian i am not sure, but welcome to the best franchise in the NFL hope your stay is long enjoyable and rewarding to everyone

Darrell Green actually played for Texas A&I University, which is now Texas A&M-Kingsville.

Nice to see us sign another young player at S instead of a vet.

I will say in regards to the safety situation, it's my personal opinion that I feel Landry should still be here. Talking from a football perspective and all off-field perceptions aside. Could be wrong, but I believe the Cooley cut would have offset Landry's current salary on the Jets. The FO made a move to head in a different direction and I do understand that, and of course we couldn't have predicted both our starting safeties would go through a suspension and an injury, but we got short strawed right there for now. I guess my overall problem with it is that Landry decided to head elsewhere eventually, if you guys remember his long lasting FA standing was because he was negotiating with the Redskins as well as others. I wish him the best, and with his preseason performance as well as yesterdays, it looks like he's a force in that Jets secondary like he was for us, which is exciting for him.

On another note, Dejon Gomes is coming around for sure. Madieu I feel is just one inch of awareness away from putting that Saints game away with our 16 point lead, and his late hit didn't help either but he looked energetic out there, and made some plays at times. But his approach to the ball in regards to the coverage underneath by Fletcher and his self overtop on Graham stood out a bit.

If Crawford stepped up huge and couple play nickle here, I wonder what it would look like if Gomes played FS, with Griffin at SS. When it comes to Griffin, his speed is noticeable where he's playing and it's a mismatch. All the plays he made actually came from where the SS would be on the field, and I know it's actually been talked about before when we acquired him, as well as during his time in Minnesota.

In my own dream world (Madden), I tend to use Griffin back there at safety, and place Brandon Meriweather at Nickle, with Crawford in the dime.

I think this could be a nice signing. Living here in Charlotte, I know they were really high on him and I was kinda surprised to see him get cut. Oh well, their loss is hopefully our gain.

He missed a few games after getting a concussion last year, but he seems to be a solid safety that can also be an asset in all of the special teams areas. I think it is a good move and I hope the Panthers regret letting Jordan go.

---------- Post added September-11th-2012 at 09:56 AM ----------

I am happy to hear this. For a moment I thought we were going to bring OJ back.

There were some rumblings about that and I cringed a little as well. But I don't think that was ever the kind of guy that we were looking for. I think we wanted someone who could step in on special teams and contribute, and fill in at safety as needed. Pugh fits that description.

Archived