Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bethesda/Rockville - Anyone else see weird lights in the sky earlier?

Skinned

Okay, this is a bit random, but went out on my balcony for a cig about 15 min ago and I see about 4-5 bright orange lights kinda stationary in the sky. They were grouped kind of close together and were bright orange. I could see planes in the sky moving elsewhere, but these were clearly different, just sitting still and not moving.

I go out on my balcony all the time, being a smoker and all, and have never seen anything like what I just saw. I went back in to grab my phone so I could get video and as I was filming, they kind of faded away into the clouds and didn't come back. My phone wouldn't allow me to zoom in, so from the video I can really only see 2 of the lights.

Anyone else in MoCo see this as well? I am so curious to know what they were!

There are currently like four sites in the area flying Drones..

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/military-drone-mistaken-ufo-d-c-beltway-165952026.html

AIR_UAV_X-47B_Parking_Lot_lg.jpg

Military drone mistaken for UFO on D.C.’s Capital Beltway

Jun 14, 2012

Some folks in the Washington, D.C., area are buzzing about what they thought was a UFO atop a flatbed truck on the Capitol Beltway.

Turns out the disc-shaped object was just a run-of-the-mill military drone.

MyFoxDC reports that what drivers saw—and some photographed—around 11 p.m. Wednesday on Interstate 270, and then later on Interstate 495, was an X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System being transported from Edwards Air Force Base in California to the Naval Air Station Patuxent River in Maryland for testing.

Related video: Recent crash raises questions about drone safety.

During its travels through the D.C. area, local station WTOP reported a flurry of activity on Twitter about the strange-looking object.

Chief: Drones 'certainly' coming to skies over Beltwayhttp://www.wtop.com/41/2846813/Chief-Drones-certainly-coming-to-skies-over-Beltway

Okay, this is a bit random, but went out on my balcony for a cig about 15 min ago and I see about 4-5 bright orange lights kinda stationary in the sky.

These orange lights were probably Chinese sky lanterns which are usually released for special occasions, etc. We had a similar story here in Richmond about a year ago. Someone released them during a wedding and reports started to come in that ufo's were moving across Richmond. If you Google "Chinese lantern" and "ufo" you'll find many stories like this.

Here is a story from the DC area two years ago.

chineselanterns.jpgUFOs+Lincoln+UK+2009.png

It was Venus reflecting off of some swamp gas and a weather balloon...

MenInBlack-FlashyThing.jpg

:silly:

---------- Post added August-23rd-2012 at 07:52 AM ----------

Yeah he's def the farthest out there on that show. That hair is epic as well.

Not as epic as the spray tan. Or the incredibly ironic lack of an ability to correctly pronounce the word "extraterrestrials" when your job requires you to try to convince people that little green men exist and visited Earth to pile a bunch of rocks on top of each other or something. (Yes, I've turned my brain off and watched a few episodes before. But back on topic, am I the only one who's bothered by this? He never says "extraterrestrials". He says "exaterrestrials". And, again, talking about aliens is his job. It's like one of those Bigfoot people constantly referring to the horrible monster "Bagfoot".)

Now this could very well be what I was seeing...thx! Weird that I didn't see one mention of these lights online. Only thing I can think of is that maybe I caught the tail end of it and it may have made perfect sense to everyone else :ols:

These orange lights were probably Chinese sky lanterns which are usually released for special occasions, etc. We had a similar story here in Richmond about a year ago. Someone released them during a wedding and reports started to come in that ufo's were moving across Richmond. If you Google "Chinese lantern" and "ufo" you'll find many stories like this.

Here is a story from the DC area two years ago.

http://www.ufocasebook.com/2007/chineselanterns.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8RLOdlrA7l4/S771AlBBCgI/AAAAAAAACWg/avXzsTtUTLY/s1600/UFOs+Lincoln+UK+2009.png

Not as epic as the spray tan. Or the incredibly ironic lack of an ability to correctly pronounce the word "extraterrestrials" when your job requires you to try to convince people that little green men exist and visited Earth to pile a bunch of rocks on top of each other or something. (Yes, I've turned my brain off and watched a few episodes before. But back on topic, am I the only one who's bothered by this? He never says "extraterrestrials". He says "exaterrestrials". And, again, talking about aliens is his job. It's like one of those Bigfoot people constantly referring to the horrible monster "Bagfoot".)

Yeah it bothers me too. His name is Giorgio Tsoukalos and have no friggin clue as how you would pronounce that. Check out what he looked like before "the alien hair"....

giorgio-cabelo-loco.jpg

Now that you mention it, i would say my pet peeve for the show would be this guy. His voice just annoys me, kinda like he's whining or something when he speaks. And he looks like the quiet guy from the movie "dodgeball".

DavidChildress.Gif

Archived