Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who was the best MLB player of the 1990s? (poll)

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Other... Mike Piazza.

Perhaps the most 'roided up player in MLB, until Bonds took his title. His back acne alone is legendary.

---------- Post added August-8th-2012 at 01:50 PM ----------

Ken Griffey Jr.

Edit: I knew what my answer was going to be coming into the thread, but after looking at the other guys I'd like to end it with "...and it's not even close."

Except for the part where Bonds was statistically better in every single category, despite not playing in a hitters park like Griffey.

But Griffey sure was more likeable.

---------- Post added August-8th-2012 at 01:52 PM ----------

So does everyone think Bonds cheated before 1999?

Probably. As did a whole bunch of other guys on people's lists. The few who got caught just had bad luck - PED were rampant because baseball winked and looked the other way.

Except for the part where Bonds was statistically better in every single category, despite not playing in a hitters park like Griffey.

But Griffey sure was more likeable

thats what it comes down to with most people who say Griffey>Bonds in the 1990s. There is no tangible argument for it except that "The Kid" smiled a lot and wore the brim of his cap the back :ols:

Bonds is probably the GOAT baseball player, I dont care about the HGH because all of those guys in the past had their advantages too, and would have used if they played in that era. That is the only reason why Bonds even used. He was the best player in baseball in 1998, yet Sosa and McGwire took all the attention away from him.

Perhaps the most 'roided up player in MLB, until Bonds took his title. His back acne alone is legendary.

Think about what you just said counselor.... a pro athlete who wears a mask and catching gear every day in 90 degree heat having acne is proof that he has been taking roids.

There is so little to say Piazza ever took roids, I take you as one of those bitter Giants fans from 2000. :)

Heh... didn't know that about Piazza. Did you know someone on the team or something or a clubhouse employee or something? He looked more like Rafael Palmeiro than Mark McGwire.

I think Bonds should be disqualified too. Same for Clemens.

Take away Clemens, and I think Maddux is the best pitcher of the 90's. Hell, Maddux probably deserves it over Clemens anyway if the scope is just the 90's.

Take away Bonds and Griffey is the best position player.

This would be my All 90's Team:

SP: Maddux

DH: Frank Thomas

C: Piazza

1B: Jeff Bagwell

2B: Craig Biggio

SS: Barry Larkin

3B: Edgar Martinez

OF: Ken Griffey

OF: Larry Walker

OF: Albert Belle

Honorable mention to Kenny Lofton, Robin Ventura, and Roberto Alomar. Chuck Knoblauch too I suppose, though I always hated him. Also Fred McGriff at DH maybe?

Of those on your list, there is every reason to believe that Piazza, Bagwell, Biggio, Edgar Martinez, Larry Walker, Albert Belle and (perhaps) Ken Griffey used PEDs. Not to mention tons of pitchers.

---------- Post added August-8th-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

Think about what you just said counselor.... a pro athlete who wears a mask and catching gear every day in 90 degree heat having acne is proof that he has been taking roids.

There is so little to say Piazza ever took roids, I take you as one of those bitter Giants fans from 2000. :)

Err... ok.

According to Jeff Pearlman’s new book about Roger Clemens, The Rocket That Fell To Earth, former MLB catcher and Clemens foe, Mike Piazza, used steroids and admitted it to at least one unnamed reporter. The book traces Clemens life from being born in Dayton, Ohio, to becoming a Major League superstar and prominent player in the steroid era.

The portions about Piazza have received the most press leading up to the book’s release, March 24. Deadspin first published excerpts about Piazza.

As the hundreds of major league ballplayers who turned to performance-enhancing drugs throughout the 1990s did their absolute best to keep the media at arm's length, Piazza took the opposite approach. According to several sources, when the subject of performance enhancing was broached with reporters he especially trusted, Piazza fessed up. "Sure, I use," he told one. "But in limited doses, and not all that often." (Piazza has denied using performance-enhancing drugs, but there has always been speculation.) Whether or not it was Piazza's intent, the tactic was brilliant: By letting the media know, of the record, Piazza made the information that much harder to report. Writers saw his bulging muscles, his acne-covered back. They certainly heard the under-the-breath comments from other major league players, some who considered Piazza's success to be 100 percent chemically delivered.

At least two former Major League players, one being Reggie Jefferson (another was not named), were quoted as saying they were sure that Piazza used steroids.

"He's a guy who did it, and everybody knows it," says Reggie Jefferson, the longtime major league first baseman. "It's amazing how all these names, like Roger Clemens, are brought up, yet Mike Piazza goes untouched."

"There was nothing more obvious than Mike on steroids," says another major league veteran who played against Piazza for years. "Everyone talked about it, everyone knew it. Guys on my team, guys on the Mets. A lot of us came up playing against Mike, so we knew what he looked like back in the day. Frankly, he sucked on the field. Just sucked. After his body changed, he was entirely different. 'Power from nowhere,' we called it."

When asked, on a scale of 1 to 10, to grade the odds that Piazza had used performance enhancers, the player doesn't pause.

"A 12," he says. "Maybe a 13."

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2009/03/mike-piazza-steroids-allegations.html

Heh... didn't know that about Piazza. Did you know someone on the team or something or a clubhouse employee or something? He looked more like Rafael Palmeiro than Mark McGwire.

See above. :)

And Rafael Palmiero was a steroid guy too, as we all know.

Of those on your list, there is every reason to believe that Piazza, Bagwell, Biggio, Edgar Martinez, Larry Walker, Albert Belle and (perhaps) Ken Griffey used PEDs. Not to mention tons of pitchers.

---------- Post added August-8th-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

Err... ok.

http://thesteroidera.blogspot.com/2009/03/mike-piazza-steroids-allegations.html

Some guy trying to sell a book says Piazza did roids. Awesome.

You need some evidence. Some.

Also, for your enjoyment:

Some guy trying to sell a book says Piazza did roids. Awesome.

You need some evidence. Some.

I'm not trying to convict him in a court of law. All we are ever going to have is rumors and anecdotes except in very rare cases. So if accounts by former MLB players and sportwriters ( http://www.murraychass.com/?p=555 ) isn't good enough for you, if the fantastic statistical anomalies in his career trajectory at the exact time steroids were coming into use is meaningless to you, if the fact that his horrific back acne suddenly went away the year that MLB started testing for steroids, well then, I don't know what else to say. I'm sorry that I impugned the honor one of your favorite baseball players without first having a formal conviction in hand.

:silly:

I'm not trying to convict him in a court of law. All we are ever going to have is rumors and anecdotes except in very rare cases. So if accounts by former MLB players and sportwriters ( http://www.murraychass.com/?p=555 ) isn't good enough for you, if the fantastic statistical anomalies in his career trajectory at the exact time steroids were coming into use is meaningless to you, if the fact that his horrific back acne suddenly went away the year that MLB started testing for steroids, well then, I don't know what else to say. I'm sorry that I impugned the honor one of your favorite baseball players without first having a formal conviction in hand.

:silly:

That is what you did. And yes, he's my favorite player.

Shawn Estes was really good during the steroid era too. That means he was on roids? Piazza was very good his whole career though. He didn't spike in some years. So yes, I will push back on any bad word ever said about Piazza because he is the best. :)

Also, http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=893&position=C

it seems like his career arc was about what you'd expect.

And he and the Mets beat the crap out of the Giants in the playoffs.

But Griffey sure was more likeable

Touche. Upon further inspection, they seem pretty even in terms of awards, all-stars, and even derby wins in the 90s (two very impressive resumes). I guess my memory didn't serve me correctly.

I'll also admit that I have a blind hatred for Bonds after reading a few books about him, and even without all the steroid business I would detest the man.

I'm one of those people that will find any excuse to take it away from Bonds and give it to Griffey Jr.

That is what you did. And yes, he's my favorite player.

Shawn Estes was really good during the steroid era too. That means he was on roids?

I have no idea. A LOT of pitchers were.

Piazza was very good his whole career though. He didn't spike in some years. So yes, I will push back on any bad word ever said about Piazza because he is the best. :)

Also, http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=893&position=C

it seems like his career arc was about what you'd expect.

The steroids are what got him into the major leagues. Piazza was a less than mediocre prospect who was drafted in the 62nd round solely because he was a family friend of Tommy Lasorda. First year in single A - no power at all. Second year in single A - no power at all.

Suddenly third year in the minors - 30 lbs of muscle shows up and he hits 30 plus homers and is off to the majors.

That happens every day in baseball. :)

I'm one of those people that will find any excuse to take it away from Bonds and give it to Griffey Jr.

I have to applaud this post. I wish more people (especially in the media) would just come out and say they are personally biased against X athlete all the time instead of putting up a front that they are being fair.

The steroids are what got him into the major leagues. Piazza was a less than mediocre prospect who was drafted in the 62nd round solely because he was a family friend of Tommy Lasorda. First year in single A - no power at all. Second year in single A - no power at all.

Suddenly third year in the minors - 30 lbs of muscle shows up and he hits 30 plus homers and is off to the majors.

That happens every day in baseball. :)

I knew this about Jeff Bagwell, but I never knew this about Piazza. Says everything then, props.

And I will also say that I dont lose any respect for Piazza either.

and yeah, the rumor is that there were more pitchers on steroids than hitters.

Touche. Upon further inspection, they seem pretty even in terms of awards, all-stars, and even derby wins in the 90s (two very impressive resumes). I guess my memory didn't serve me correctly.

I'll also admit that I have a blind hatred for Bonds after reading a few books about him, and even without all the steroid business I would detest the man.

Fair enough. I'm a Giants fan, and I know for a fact what a huge jerk Bonds is. But like him or not, he's still the best baseball player of the modern era.

Fair enough. I'm a Giants fan, and I know for a fact what a huge jerk Bonds is. But like him or not, he's still the best baseball player of the modern era.

I won't argue with that statement one bit, if we're counting the steriod years. Those years he produced like no player ever has. 232 walks in a single season says quite a bit.

I actually loved the steroid era from a fan's perspective. McGwire, Sosa, Bonds. The homerun derby with McGwire in Boston was unbelievable.

Archived