Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sirius xm at training camp today starting at 3 p.m.

mmecca

I was able to listen to Shanny interview during my drive home, but I do not have XM in my house, so cannot listen to rest of 4 hour segment. Friggin NFL TV are broadcasting other camps. Maybe I should just go out and sit in my car for the next 3.5 hours.....

I was really impressed with Hightower's honesty about not only Robert Griffin's learning curve, but also his own inadequacies.

THT said that he has a much better understanding of the zone running scheme - went outside too much last year without understanding that there were cuts inside that he missed.

I was able to listen to Shanny interview during my drive home, but I do not have XM in my house, so cannot listen to rest of 4 hour segment. Friggin NFL TV are broadcasting other camps. Maybe I should just go out and sit in my car for the next 3.5 hours.....

It's only a couple bucks extra to get the XM online.

Listening today, I agree with Kirwan that Rex is ready to go, knows the offense and you know what you have in him and that he should sit so that RG3 gets his reps.

Pat's partner was Ross Tucker(former Skin) today and he noted how far ahead the defense was to the offense and both agreed that's always the case,early in camp, especially with a rookie QB at the helm.

Pat also made the comment that the defense needs to get RG3 at least 2 turnovers a game in order to give him the opportunity to score enough points in a game to be competitive.

Both were impressed with the WR corp and Pat especially liked what he saw of Morgan today.

They asked Hightower who is the player that we don't know that has surprised you with his performance? The guy you look at and say "hey, this guy can play"...

Hightower responded with Tristan Davis. The kid's got wiggle and make a defense pay.

Hightower also talked about how now, the backside defender had to stay at home in order to keep contain, which opened up the running lanes for the rbs.

If I can think of more, I'll add later...

I suspect we'll see quite a difference for our running backs this year with a mobile QB as a threat to take off with the ball if the backside defenders break contain. I'm thinking about drafting Helu with my second round pick - RG3 in the fifth as my backup if he's still available. :cool:

Heard Shanahan's interview yesterday but didn't stay in the truck to hear the rest. However, this morning, Ross didn't have good things to say about the offense. He said the defense was definitely ahead of the offense, and that the offense really appeared to be struggling. Said Cousins and RG3 both threw interceptions and that the play was so sloppy that Shanahan eventually had to pull the whole team aside to speak to them. Of course he couldn't hear what he said. He also said he was surprised at the amount of quarterback designed runs that RG3 ran. He then covered his ass and said "Well, of course this was just one day of training camp. This could have been the only day the offense was behind, for all I know the defense has been getting dominated. For all I know, the coaches wanted to look at a bunch of QB runs and see which ones they liked best for RG3. I don't know." Ross is normally pretty fair, so don't really have a problem with his criticism. Normally he pulls for the Skins during the regular season...even though he's also an ex cowboy.

Anyway, we have a conniving head coach. Preseason means nothing to me even more because of that. Maybe it seems like a reach, but it wouldn't be that unbelievable to me for Shanahan to hide his cards on a huge media day that Sirius is there. Not enough to waste a practice but maybe, you know, decide to try a bunch of QB runs while everyone already thinks RG3 is the next Vick. Here on ES, we're really the only ones I've seen believe that he is going to be a pocket passer at all. Everyone else says he's going to run around all game like Tebow.

Either way, didn't really make me nervous at all.

Heard Shanahan's interview yesterday but didn't stay in the truck to hear the rest. However, this morning, Ross didn't have good things to say about the offense. He said the defense was definitely ahead of the offense, and that the offense really appeared to be struggling. Said Cousins and RG3 both threw interceptions and that the play was so sloppy that Shanahan eventually had to pull the whole team aside to speak to them. Of course he couldn't hear what he said. He also said he was surprised at the amount of quarterback designed runs that RG3 ran. He then covered his ass and said "Well, of course this was just one day of training camp. This could have been the only day the offense was behind, for all I know the defense has been getting dominated. For all I know, the coaches wanted to look at a bunch of QB runs and see which ones they liked best for RG3. I don't know." Ross is normally pretty fair, so don't really have a problem with his criticism. Normally he pulls for the Skins during the regular season...even though he's also an ex cowboy.

Anyway, we have a conniving head coach. Preseason means nothing to me even more because of that. Maybe it seems like a reach, but it wouldn't be that unbelievable to me for Shanahan to hide his cards on a huge media day that Sirius is there. Not enough to waste a practice but maybe, you know, decide to try a bunch of QB runs while everyone already thinks RG3 is the next Vick. Here on ES, we're really the only ones I've seen believe that he is going to be a pocket passer at all. Everyone else says he's going to run around all game like Tebow.

Either way, didn't really make me nervous at all.

I also heard those comments and thought the same thing about Coach (running designed runs for media). Ross also said that RGIII looks 'really rough' and 'a work in progress' which is radio speak for - 'not good'.

I really don't care what the media types or pundits think. They all look at the past years record and pontificate on who was good last year.

I want the whole world to think we suck, then when we don't, us loyal fans can rise up and scream 'HTTR'!

I also heard those comments and thought the same thing about Coach (running designed runs for media). Ross also said that RGIII looks 'really rough' and 'a work in progress' which is radio speak for - 'not good'.

I really don't care what the media types or pundits think. They all look at the past years record and pontificate on who was good last year.

I want the whole world to think we suck, then when we don't, us loyal fans can rise up and scream 'HTTR'!

Ross and Pat did say that last year they thought about the same of Cam Newton. Look how that turned out. With that said RG3 is a rookie. He had one of those rookie days the way it seems. There have been other media members present at previous practices and said some positive things. The one constant theme is that he has been inaccurate at times.

Ross and Pat did say that last year they thought about the same of Cam Newton. Look how that turned out. With that said RG3 is a rookie. He had one of those rookie days the way it seems. There have been other media members present at previous practices and said some positive things. The one constant theme is that he has been inaccurate at times.

They also brought that up. They said that they also thought the same about Cam Newton and Andy Dalton and they did great.

I suspect we'll see quite a difference for our running backs this year with a mobile QB as a threat to take off with the ball if the backside defenders break contain. I'm thinking about drafting Helu with my second round pick - RG3 in the fifth as my backup if he's still available. :cool:

Don't take Helu in the 2nd round! Shanahan is too unpredictable from game to game with his backs. It's one of my fantasy rules of thumb not to take Shanahan backs high in the draft. Helu should be good but Shanny is hard to trust. He seems to play the hot hand from week to week which may not always be Helu.

I have a pretty good idea of who's going to finish last in your league.

Don't take Helu in the 2nd round! Shanahan is too unpredictable from game to game with his backs. It's one of my fantasy rules of thumb not to take Shanahan backs high in the draft. Helu should be good but Shanny is hard to trust. He seems to play the hot hand from week to week which may not always be Helu.

Agreed Shannahanigans plays with the running backs week to week, I know it's the first depth chart but Helu is listed as the third string on it, after being the leading rusher last season and Royster not even making the team until hightowers injury. So draft at risk is the advice I would give you.

No kidding. I signed Helu as a UDFA last year in my league. He probably won't even go in the draft (depending on how many picks there are in your draft of course).

THT said that he has a much better understanding of the zone running scheme - went outside too much last year without understanding that there were cuts inside that he missed.

I'm not terribly high on Hightower for that very reason. He ALWAYS took it outside.... even though he didn't have the speed for it and was cut down for short gains. Those inside lanes were there for him all day... which was the difference between Helu and Royster.

Helu always liked to bounce them outside -- however, he had more success with them because of his quickness. It was Royster who took those inside lanes and took advantage of them.

It encouraging to see Hightower acknowledge that. Perhaps he could improve further in this system.

Archived