Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bogota; Colombia

nonniey

Hello fellow tailgaters.

I'm in the middle of my first trip to South America and Colombia and thought to update many on a place most of us have never been too (Any other tailgaters been here?) It has been an eye opener (And head turner) so far.

This country is ready to pop economically. It reminds me of South Korea 20 years ago. They are booming right now despite the world wide recession. Twenty years from now I expect them to be a wealthy 1st world country.

One thing of note, I can tell you of all the countries I've been too this by far as the best ratio of good to great looking women (married, but I'm allowed to look). The vast majority seem to prefer really tight pants and stilletto heels.(One o f my fellow teammates who grew up here assures me that Medellin and Cartehena have an even better ratio). Sophia Vegera seems to be the norm.

Another surprise has been the weather in Bogota. Middle of summer right now and it feels like a mid October day in DC (that is the year round climate - note Bogota is over 8000 feet). I imagine I'm going to burn up when I go to the less elevated locals.

I'll give you an update in this tread as I see more of the country.

I love all travel related threads. I didn't make it down that far but last year I did spend some time in Panama (the last country before you hit S. America). It also has a BOOMING economy and construction is everywhere in the capital (Panama City). Ran into more than a few American expatriates and they were all loving the move they made to this part of the world. Can't wait to make it down to South America. Keep us filled in nonniey...

Being so close to the Equator gives great consistent weather year round. I love it. 89 is sweltering here :ols:

I've heard Columbia is incredibly nice, along with Ecuador and Honduras. I really want to get over there in the next few years. Might be a great place to settle down.

• 2 weeks later...

Colombia Update.

Week Two. Back in Bogota for a couple of days. (Only place I have internet access).

Visited Meta Province and the Cauca Province (including Cali, and Popoyan).

My wife would kill me if she knew the conditions I've been suffering under. I was supposed to be roughing it in jungles, sleeping under mosquito nets, in tents, or bunkers and instead it's been BOQs,hotels and restaurants.

Managed to avoid getting eaten by the Mosquitos and Piranha but did get bit once (Don't think it was a piranha as they don't sneek into your room at night and go after your ankles - suspect a mosquito - BTW bring your Doxycycline).

Recommend visiting Popoyan, a beautiful city (Eat at the Catantamba restuarant). They call it the white city and the old section is made up of old white buildings (Early 1800s) and churches. big Catholic festivals reportely are held there. Additionally it sits at 5700 feet and it's weather is more like a mid to late April Day in DC year round (Bogota is like late mid to October).

Cali isn't bad but a bit humid. There was a kite festival going on and I've never seen kites flown as high (Okay send the cocaine puns), swear they must have been between 5-10 thousand feet.

Archived