Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP.com: Redskins training camp: Observations from Day 2

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/redskins-training-camp-observations-from-day-2/2012/07/27/gJQA4wVaEX_blog.html?wprss=rss_sports

A day after struggling with his timing and accuracy, Robert Griffin III was noticeably sharper Friday.

And the position battle among the wide receivers continues. Today’s starting wideouts on the first play were Pierre Garcon and Leonard Hankerson. Yesterday it was Josh Morgan with Garcon. The first tight end was Chris Cooley, with Fred Davis rotating in and out, a day after the latter started.

Griffin’s early highlight came on the second play of 11-on-11 drills when he squirted out of a collapsed pocket, and fired a sideline pass to Hankerson, who tip-toed the line as he made the grab. Griffin put the ball in a tight spot where only Hankerson could get to it. In drills just before the play, Griffin made the same pass, but farther from the sideline.

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan stopped him and explained that the ball needed to be farther outside, or else it would be a pick-six. Griffin apparently remembered.

One thing getting lost in the fold..... Kirk Cousins looks INCREDIBLY poised in the pocket. He could be a starter. He made a couple boneheaded throws (as pointed out in the article), but he looked the best of the 4 QB's today. Going into today, and having only seen tape on Cousins, I was never a fan. He just stood out as a solid player though.

I friggen love Rex Grossman. He turned around and gave a gator chomp chomp to Grffin after a TD pass. Gotta love it.

Ditto. Dude's got nerves of steel. After all the flack he's caught from some of the rogue "fans" @ camp, all the guy has done is show up & be a professional. He's a quality backup & dare I say, one of the better backups in the league. I think we're all happy we don't have to rely on him to carry the team, but sometimes the negativity directed his way is crazy.

The first-team interior linemen appeared to struggle against the starting defense. On three of the first four plays, Griffin’s blockers were shoved back into his path, forcing him to move outside the pocket.

I hope this gets fixed.

Ditto. Dude's got nerves of steel. After all the flack he's caught from some of the rogue "fans" @ camp, all the guy has done is show up & be a professional. He's a quality backup & dare I say, one of the better backups in the league. I think we're all happy we don't have to rely on him to carry the team, but sometimes the negativity directed his way is crazy.

He's honest, he's a professional and he never shies away from admitting his mistakes...his only real flaw is a pair of tiny hands and the fact that he doesn't correct his mistakes and continues to say **** it, I'm throwin this ball lol. But what you see is what you get with him man, probably one of the top 2-3 skins I'd want to hang out with cuz there's nothing fake or "politically correct" with him regardless of who he's talkin to. He is who he is.

Archived