Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Army Son’s Wish Granted By Redskins

http://blog.redskins.com/2012/07/26/army-sons-wish-granted-by-redskins/

So when Quinten learned his father, Olaf, a major in the U.S. Army, would soon be shipped off for another tour — this time in Afghanistan — the rising 10th grader at Kettle Run High School in Nokesville, Va., wanted to do something special for his old man, a lifelong Redskins fan.

“I found out my dad wasn’t going to be able to go to any games this year,” Quinten said. “I knew he might not be able to even make it to training camp, so I sent a letter asking if maybe we could come by and meet some of the players.”

That letter — handwritten on a sheet of notebook paper — was sent directly to Redskins’ owner Daniel M. Snyder.

[...]Meanwhile, at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Va., Snyder and his staff were more than happy to honor Quinten’s request.

The teenager said he recently received the shock of his life when he got a voicemail from the Redskins asking him and his family to come out training camp.

“I was like, ‘What?!” Quinten recalled thinking upon receiving the call.

And there they were Thursday at the team’s first training camp practice of the 2012 season, sitting under a tent and taking in the sights and the sounds.

Quinten’s mother, Julie, who has served in the military herself, said the experience was “surreal.”

“It’s something that I could’ve never done for them, and it’s very emotional,” Julie said. “It’s just surreal, and everybody’s been so incredibly nice and gone up and beyond what we ever could’ve expected.”

Olaf Shibusawa — already incredibly proud of his son prior to the trip — said he was shocked to hear about Quinten’s letter to the Redskins, his favorite team since he was a child.

“Even today I’m in shock,” Olaf said Thursday.

Olaf said has gone to great lengths to keep up with the Redskins while overseas.

“I’ve woken up at 2 o’clock in the morning to watch the Redskins when I was in Iraq previously,” he said.

But the final player to sign Olaf’s Army helmet was none other than Griffin III, who could relate directly to what Quinten was going through.

“I was in a similar situation,” Griffin III said after meeting the Shibusawas. “It’s not easy by any means. It was good to meet them, give them a little bit of advice and just let him know that he’s not alone and some of the things he can do to help him get through that time.”

Wakes up at 2 am in Iraq to watch the skins. That is a true fan! Really cool article - Hope he comes back safe again.

When they are on TV! haha. I normally stream Sonny and Sam overseas because the Redskins don't get a lot of play on AFN. You want to ***** about the delay here in the states when you stream or even listen on "live radio" try streaming on a low bandwith computer in Iraq or Afgahnistan... you're talking a 20 minute delay at the minimum. Especially when you are trying to watch the gamecast on one of the sport websites.

Imagine getting a sweat watching one of those and then waiting for it to buffer/refresh... haha. It's another world.

I also want to say that the Redskins and Robert are top shelf in the way that they have supported the Military. It's pretty humbling.

Wakes up at 2 am in Iraq to watch the skins. That is a true fan! Really cool article - Hope he comes back safe again.

I used to do the same when I was in Iraq and Afghanistan.. AFN usually has the redskins games, although it's on a thursday night or something like that.

It was always a fight between me (enlisted) and the officers over the tv and who got to watch whose game(s)

Stinkin cowgirl fans >:(

I concur and 2nd this :beavisnbutthead:, because I'm afraid nobody will give him any credit or even bash him. :)

I've criticized him plenty, but always strive for fairness and have lauded him when I saw something worthy. I think he's really changing a bit from what I hear. We all age and sometimes, especially at certain stages in life, that brings self-reflection and change in and of itself.

When they are on TV! haha. I normally stream Sonny and Sam overseas because the Redskins don't get a lot of play on AFN. You want to ***** about the delay here in the states when you stream or even listen on "live radio" try streaming on a low bandwith computer in Iraq or Afgahnistan... you're talking a 20 minute delay at the minimum. Especially when you are trying to watch the gamecast on one of the sport websites.

Imagine getting a sweat watching one of those and then waiting for it to buffer/refresh... haha. It's another world.

I also want to say that the Redskins and Robert are top shelf in the way that they have supported the Military. It's pretty humbling.

That is funny. No I cant imagine! - stay safe brother and thank you! Yeah RG-3 seems like the real deal both on and off the field!

---------- Post added July-27th-2012 at 09:16 PM ----------

I used to do the same when I was in Iraq and Afghanistan.. AFN usually has the redskins games, although it's on a thursday night or something like that.

It was always a fight between me (enlisted) and the officers over the tv and who got to watch whose game(s)

Stinkin cowgirl fans >:(

Thats rough! LOL - ****in stinkin cowgirl fans..............

I enjoyed working the night shift during football season because it meant I could watch some of the games live. You'd be amazed at how many people would give up sleep in a war zone in order to watch some football.

I enjoyed working the night shift during football season because it meant I could watch some of the games live. You'd be amazed at how many people would give up sleep in a war zone in order to watch some football.

I bet. I think I would too. Your signature is awesome - I have the same picture but yours kicks ass!

Archived