Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Barkley: RG3 would have been drafted after me

MrSilverMaC

This is interesting to me cause initially I liked Barkley more than Griffin but I don't know that he is correct in his assumption.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a9df15/article/matt-barkley-rg3-would-have-been-drafted-after-me?module=HP11_headline_stack

Matt Barkley reshuffled NFL draft boards nationwide last year when the USC quarterback decided to return for his senior season.

We'll never know where he would have been selected in 2012, but Barkley -- sounding pretty sure of himself -- said Tuesday he "had confidence" he would have been the No. 2 overall draft pick, essentially bumping out Robert Griffin III as the second quarterback taken in April.

---------- Post added July-18th-2012 at 08:59 AM ----------

Sorry, just saw that it was already a thread in the stadium. :(

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?367009-PFT-Matt-Barkley-confident-he-would-have-been-drafted-ahead-of-RGIII

Conspicuously missing from the NFL article is the actual line where Barkley addresses Robert Griffin's #2 overall spot:

"Asked if he thinks he — not Robert Griffin III — would have gone No. 2 after Luck went No. 1, Barkley said he does [NO HE DOESN'T, PFT].

“I had confidence in that — I think I could have been,” Barkley said."

That is not would, should, etc. its a "could". He chose that word because he wanted to show he was confident in his high standing but without saying "I'M BETTER THAN RG3!". The "journalists" at PFT and NFL.com decided that could and would were close enough to put words in Barkley's mouth and create a problem or controversy that doesn't exist. It has succeeded to the point where random football fans on message boards are talking about how they USED to like Matt Barkley, but not as much after THIS!

C'mon people, we're better than this. Throw off the shackles of our media masters.

Barkley is a very good QB but if he werer in the draft we may not of had to bet the farm on RGIII and could have gotten RGIII at the draft position we were at. I think that Cleveland would have gone after Barkley instead of RGIII but I guess we will never know will we?

Archived