Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Report: Brandon Weeden waiting

MrSilverMaC

I thought this was interesting. The article is pretty short.

Quarterback Brandon Weeden is holding out for a fourth guaranteed year on his rookie contract, league sources told the Cleveland Plain Dealer on Friday.

Weeden

Weeden, the 22nd overall pick out of Oklahoma State in April's draft, is slated to receive a four-year deal worth about $8.1 million under the NFL's new rookie wage slotting system.

However, league sources told the Plain Dealer that Weeden wants all four years guaranteed -- not the three guaranteed years that many players selected late in the first round receive.

The rest is here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8114160/quarterback-brandon-weeden-reportedly-holding-fourth-guaranteed-year

This is the kind of thing Florio was referring to when he said Cleveland should trade McCoy immediately rather than holding out for more value. If Weeden's contract drags out into training camp McCoy might pull a Derek Anderson and set Weeden back another year. At his age you just can't afford that.

I would want a guaranteed year too if I was going to be 45 my rookie year :ols:

Not just one, he's asking for 4. I'm not sure if he's trying to make it hard for the browns to cut him if he sucks, or if he's just trying to maximize his money before he retires. Maybe it's both...

Not just one, he's asking for 4. I'm not sure if he's trying to make it hard for the browns to cut him if he sucks, or if he's just trying to maximize his money before he retires. Maybe it's both...

By the end of his rookie deal, he's going to be hitting the age where most QBs start to slow down. Regardless of miles on his tires and all that, he's trying to get as much money as possible since the likelihood that he doesn't get another contract that size is high given his age.

It's only 4 years vs 3 years (the usual for his draft position) money guaranteed, not an increase in the amount that is the sticking point. At somewhere around $8.1m for 4 yrs I'm not sure why the Browns are quibbling with a new QB over it. They're acting like they don't think he's worth much at all, but then they wanted someone else really :)

It's only 4 years vs 3 years (the usual for his draft position) money guaranteed, not an increase in the amount that is the sticking point. At somewhere around $8.1m for 4 yrs I'm not sure why the Browns are quibbling with a new QB over it. They're acting like they don't think he's worth much at all, but then they wanted someone else really :)

no they didn't, they wanted the mature and tall player that just happened to fall to them. it was all meant to be.

By the end of his rookie deal, he's going to be hitting the age where most QBs start to slow down. Regardless of miles on his tires and all that, he's trying to get as much money as possible since the likelihood that he doesn't get another contract that size is high given his age.

In addition to this you have to wonder how long Holmgren/Shurmur are going to be there if they don't win in the next few years. I think Cleveland's fan base can deal with missing out on RGIII if Weeden can become a competent QB. If he's just another Colt McCoy their fans are going to be irate that they couldn't land RGIII despite the ammo they had.

Weeden wants that last year guaranteed so if/when Holmgren/Shurmur gets the axe it won't be easy for the new regime to cut him loose.

Archived