Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Science Fiction Book Series - Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind

HSW

I know we have some science fiction book lovers on here. If you have not read Patrick Rothfuss yet, he is simply AMAZING! He has 2 books out right now (The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear).

I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Book 1: Excellent. Tremendous narrative and growth of the character. Great writing.

Book 2: Exceedingly average. Significant portions of the book were difficult to slog through (fairieland, the red folk, etc). Where the first book was "OMG, I can't stop reading," this one was really hard to muster the desire to read at times.

Rothfuss is a great writer that has his plot get away from him.

The best fantasy I've read in the last couple of years is Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. The exact same thing can be said of him, however (great writer, runaway plot, etc). Still, his Kaladin character is the most interesting and most meaningful arc I've read in a long while.

Good cheap thrill books include Brent Weeks and Mark Lawrence. Check'em out if you haven't.

Added to my kindle list.

Thank you for the recommendations

~Bang

Not to hijack the thread with recommendations, but I figured I should add these if some of you fantasy readers haven't read them yet:

Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies. 6-book arc, amazing. She takes old ideas like bonding with animals and magic and makes them uniquely real. In fact, much of George R.R. Martin's work smacks of Hobb fandom. Hobb's books are far better pieces of literary art to my mind. Written in the first-person, they follow the **** son of a king-to-be who becomes apprenticed to an assassin. If all this sounds trite, it isn't -- this is political intrigue done right, with no dagger-wielding assassins lurking in shadows. Duty and sacrifice are the constant themes.

C.S. Friedman -- Coldfire trilogy -- Not for the light reader, these books are deep, complex, and feature the best blend of sci-fi and fantasy since Dune. In addition, the world the trilogy takes place in is the most interesting setting I've ever read. The most evil character on the planet teams up with his exact opposite to combat a supernatural evil that threatens both of them. Stunning work...but again, not a light read. Many people do not like it because it is far less action-driven than most fantasy.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series -- Tremendous writer of military fantasy in the vein of Glen Cook (whose Black Company books are also worth a read).

Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora and book 2 of that series -- Could. Not. Put. Down. A smart-ass thief pulls ridiculous stunts.

Peter V. Brett's Warded Man/Desert Spear -- A light read. Not "amazing", but very entertaining.

And if you haven't read Steven Brust, do so. Start at the beginning of his Vlad Taltos novels. James Bond Fantasy. Hilarious, entertaining, fast-paced.

I concur.

Book 2: Exceedingly average.

I did not find that to be the case at all. I enjoyed the 2nd book as much as the first.

Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora and book 2 of that series -- Could. Not. Put. Down. A smart-ass thief pulls ridiculous stunts.

These might be the best of the bunch. Unfortunately, the author is suffering from severe anxiety and depression that impedes his ability to work and simply function normally (he's very public about it now on his blog), so it could be a while between books.

The good news is that there's a teaser on his main webpage that seems to imply that book 3 is coming this year. :)

I concur.

I did not find that to be the case at all. I enjoyed the 2nd book as much as the first.

These might be the best of the bunch. Unfortunately, the author is suffering from severe anxiety and depression that impedes his ability to work and simply function normally (he's very public about it now on his blog), so it could be a while between books.

The good news is that there's a teaser on his main webpage that seems to imply that book 3 is coming this year. :)

Re: Rothfuss' Book 2 -- I will say that my favorite moments from the two books are in Wise Man's Fear. But the two sections I mentioned were really hard for me to get excited about reading, for some reason. All that said, I'd give my eye teeth to write as well as Pat.

I had no idea about Lynch. I should check out his site. I really hope he's able to pull through. I was shocked by how entertaining his books are.

I know we have some science fiction book lovers on here. If you have not read Patrick Rothfuss yet, he is simply AMAZING! He has 2 books out right now (The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear).

Heard a lot of great things about the two books, they're next on my list to read.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the recommendation. I recently read both The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear and found them both to be very good. I preferred the second book to the first which, if the review can be trusted, is the opposite reaction of most. The first one seemed to focus on a child surviving and then over coming his circumstances in one heck of a story. Wise Man's Fear felt very similar to the first as I started it, which I believe is Rothfuss' intent, but the story changes in two ways. The first is that Kvothe loses his innocence and becomes a darker character despite the fact that he doesn't seem to realize it. He's not the wide eyed instinctual hero that saved Fela from the fire. The second is that it becomes more evident that he's involved in a much larger game in which he is more of a piece than a player.

I am glad you enjoyed them. He is taking his time with the 3rd book so we have a lil bit of a wait. Last I heard there is still not a firm release date.

I hope it's 1500 pages long. :)

Also I'll throw out a few series since others have as well. These are lighter reads than the Kingkiller Chronicles but I enjoyed them:

Mistborn series, Brandon Sanderson. Three Books.

Codex Alera, Jim Butcher. Five Books.

Those two series are almost opposites but both were fun to read and think about. Jim Butcher is much more cheesy and bright while Sanderson enjoys making everything grey.

Peter V. Brett's Warded Man/Desert Spear -- A light read. Not "amazing", but very entertaining.

He's taking his sweet ass time with that series. Still three books to go. I like how the focus of books one and two are entirely different.

---------- Post added October-1st-2012 at 10:10 PM ----------

The best fantasy I've read in the last couple of years is Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. The exact same thing can be said of him, however (great writer, runaway plot, etc). Still, his Kaladin character is the most interesting and most meaningful arc I've read in a long while.

I heard he stopped working on that series to finish Wheel of Time. Being that he intends it to be a ten book series and it might be more than a year before he gets book two out, he might need someone to finish his epic series as well.

I have to check out Rothfuss' series now, I hadn't heard of it until watching him and some other authors discussing books and writing in some youtube videos, but now I'mreally intrigued.

I hope it's 1500 pages long. :)

Also I'll throw out a few series since others have as well. These are lighter reads than the Kingkiller Chronicles but I enjoyed them:

Mistborn series, Brandon Sanderson. Three Books.

Have you read the 'sequel' to the Mistborn series, Alloy of Law?

I haven't read the Codex Alera series, but I love Butcher's Dresden books.

While we're throwing out fantasy book series, I'll mention one of my favorites that I don't think gets much attention:

Laura Resnick's:

The Chronicles of Sirkara

"'The Silerian Trilogy'"

In Legend Born (1998)

The White Dragon (2003)

The Destroyer Goddess (2003)

I loved each book more than the last.

Another great series is Sean McMullen's:

The Moonworlds Saga

Voyage of the Shadowmoon (2002)

Glass Dragons (2004)

Voidfarer (2006)

The Time Engine (2008)

Although in this case I think the first one was best, probably one of my favorite books of all time.

I'm a Dresden fan as well, new one due out in November I think and I'm planning to vanish into my home office when it pops up on my tablet. I've not read Alloy of Law but its on the list. :)

Dresden Files note: Wizard riding an undead TRex into battle against a horde of zombies gathering in the heart of a massive lightning storm. Because why the hell not.

Archived