Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

I might change my approach and get off the grid and get on this liberal steam engine.  Gettin' cheaper every day.

well since you already pay their ded it wouldn't be much of a hit if any.....of course they can always change the rules on ya

interesting times

I'll let ya know on mine when Obama let's em tell me , the company says a 9% average increase  .....individual results vary

any changes in benefits or network?

No changes to my benefits or network that I know of.

Quote from our HR department:

"The medical PPO premiums have decreased an average of 14%, the medical HDHP premiums by 6% and the dental premiums by 26%"

HDHP is the High Deductible Health Plan (I'm sure you knew that). 

No changes to my benefits or network that I know of.

Quote from our HR department:

"The medical PPO premiums have decreased an average of 14%, the medical HDHP premiums by 6% and the dental premiums by 26%"

HDHP is the High Deductible Health Plan (I'm sure you knew that).

Keep up the testifying. I've tried with totally anecdotal posts, but they don't work, some folks are super stubborn.

Keep up the testifying. I've tried with totally anecdotal posts, but they don't work, some folks are super stubborn.

I'm well aware some have gone down in price and have even linked them, I am also well aware most are increasing 

perhaps it would help if we clarify if it is a Exchange or private/employer group plan....total premium is also helpful

As I have stated over and over and over and over (is that enough overs?) any person or company stating their costs went up, down, or sideways means absolutely nothing.  There are a lot of variables in health insurance.  If the average age of my company goes up 10 years this year my cost will skyrocket.  If the average age goes down 10 years it will plunge.  Heck if it goes down a year that helps.

Not to mention I tweak things each year to control costs.

But PM me next year, and the following and let me know how ya like the Ocare.  B)

Edited by chipwhich

I'm well aware some have gone down in price and have even linked them, I am also well aware most are increasing 

perhaps it would help if we clarify if it is a Exchange or private/employer group plan....total premium is also helpful

mine is private employer, you know this.

You also know that my husband had 7 polyps removed from his colon for $55. Anyone who has read this thread all the way through does.

Settle. Just settle down. Not my problem that you don't think it works.

As But PM me next year, and the following and let me know how ya like the Ocare.  B)

Chip, nothing we are afforded this year (or last) will change, unless we make a vote to do so. (I'm gonna guess you voted for those dedicated to repeal, but if I'm wrong, let me know.)

I did not.

I'll explain this one more time. Our plan is employer generated. My husband has been with his company for 28 years. His coverage is paid for, we pay for mine through his plan. It's Humana.

I swear, I might just blow my head off if I have to explain this again. Jeez.

Yes, a $55 colonoscopy can be yours for the low price of ........$55! Removal of the things they found may be extra on your plan, BUT WASN'T ON OURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check it out, don't complain about the checking! If you have to do a little legwork, and save a buttload of money, isn't it worth it?

As I have stated over and over and over and over (is that enough overs?) any person or company stating their costs went up, down, or sideways means absolutely nothing.  There are a lot of variables in health insurance.  If the average age of my company goes up 10 years this year my cost will skyrocket.  If the average age goes down 10 years it will plunge.  Heck if it goes down a year that helps.

But PM me next year, and the following and let me know how ya like the Ocare.  B)

Mine is private employer insurance with Anthem. Dental is with Delta. 

Yes, employee average age I'm sure is a factor. But when has it not been?

Edit: I will also add where you live is a contributing factor as well. I'm going to also guess the type of business the employer is in will impact the rates. 

I really don't keep track of my healthcare insurance costs, but I'm going to guess my costs have ridden the tide of healthcare costs over my past 35 years of employment. When haven't they gone up? Or down? New drugs on the formulary? No? Pay full price. And now I see the pharmas are looking to increase the price of generics. Think that will increase the deductibles in the future for generic drugs? 

Edited by GoSkins0721

I totally agree with you, but that's why we are looking at the statistical movement across all the states that have fully implemented Obamacare.  This is not anecdotal evidence, but statitically significant evidence that prices have been reigned in due to Obamacare.

Now, can that change over 10 years... sure.  We don't know what will happen.  But the good evidence to date says that Obamacare has given health insurance to millions of people and lowered the costs of that insurance across the board.

Chip, nothing we are afforded this year (or last) will change, unless we make a vote to do so. (I'm gonna guess you voted for those dedicated to repeal, but if I'm wrong, let me know.)

I did not.

I'll explain this one more time. Our plan is employer generated. My husband has been with his company for 28 years. His coverage is paid for, we pay for mine through his plan. It's Humana.

I swear, I might just blow my head off if I have to explain this again. Jeez.

Yes, a $55 colonoscopy can be yours for the low price of ........$55! Removal of the things they found may be extra on your plan, BUT WASN'T ON OURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check it out, don't complain about the checking! If you have to do a little legwork, and save a buttload of money, isn't it worth it?

As far as I know, there wasn't anything on my ballot voting to appeal Obamacare.

And I know you are on your husbands plan, and as I stated before I am happy you now have good insurance.  Again, that has NOTHING to do with Obamacare.  When did I ever say people with good insurance can't pay low rates for stuff.  I have been fortunate to have great insurance my entire life.  Congrats on getting it!

I totally agree with you, but that's why we are looking at the statistical movement across all the states that have fully implemented Obamacare.  This is not anecdotal evidence, but statitically significant evidence that prices have been reigned in due to Obamacare.

Now, can that change over 10 years... sure.  We don't know what will happen.  But the good evidence to date says that Obamacare has given health insurance to millions of people and lowered the costs of that insurance across the board.

My primary issue with Obamacare which I stated ad nauseum.

It's accelerating the high deductible plans.

High deductible plans will ultimately mean each one of us will basically be self funding ourselves in that we will end up with catastrophe insurance and a yearly physical (plus birth control), but forced to pay out of pocket for all the little things you encounter with your health.

Mine is private employer insurance with Anthem. Dental is with Delta. 

Yes, employee average age I'm sure is a factor. But when has it not been?

You are making my point for me.  You don't have a clue how Obamacare drove your specific health costs this year.

My renewal quotes for my insurance have gone up every year since I have been in business for closing on 10 years.  What I end up purchasing is different every year to control costs.  So while I maintained Blue Cross Blue Sheild for most of those 10 year, I reconfigured the insurance every year to keep costs in line with the previous year.  So I have had renewals where what I actually purchased was a cost savings from the previous year, but the plan was never the same plan as the previous year.  If that makes sense.  Point being, saying your costs went up, down, or sideways without any real data is meaningless.

Edited by chipwhich
  • Like 1

High deductible plans will ultimately mean each one of us will basically be self funding ourselves in that we will end up with catastrophe insurance and a yearly physical (plus birth control), but forced to pay out of pocket for all the little things you encounter with your health.

You want less high deductible plans?  Is that what you're saying?  

You want less high deductible plans?  Is that what you're saying?  

We are transitioning from an era which was too extreme on one end (basically going to the doctor whenever you want for a small copay) to an era where deductibles will be in the $1000's of dollars and you will get stuck paying a premium and out of pocket for most of your health care outside a yearly wellness check.  I don't like where the pendulum is swinging.

We are transitioning from an era which was too extreme on one end (basically going to the doctor whenever you want for a small copay) to an era where deductibles will be in the $1000's of dollars and you will get stuck paying a premium and out of pocket for most of your health care outside a yearly wellness check.  I don't like where the pendulum is swinging.

Hmm... i think high deductible plans do make sense for some people.  I'm not sure "the pendulum is swinging" as much as there is more choice for people.  And some people, mostly young people who are healthy, might be making the right choice by saving on premiums with a high deductible plan.  

Is there actually evidence that these plans are bad for the people that are choosing to buy them?  Or that the marketplace is irrational?

Hmm... i think high deductible plans do make sense for some people.  I'm not sure "the pendulum is swinging" as much as there is more choice for people.  And some people, mostly young people who are healthy, might be making the right choice by saving on premiums with a high deductible plan.  

Is there actually evidence that these plans are bad for the people that are choosing to buy them?  Or that the marketplace is irrational?

I have to increase my deductibles to keep prices in check.  As I mentioned in other posts, my deductibles started at $1200/$2400.  It's up to $2000/$4000.  Insurance companies are pushing it to the point you are basically a self funded entity barring a catastrophe.

You are making my point for me.  You don't have a clue how Obamacare drove your specific health costs this year.

My renewal quotes for my insurance have gone up every year since I have been in business for closing on 10 years.  What I end up purchasing is different every year to control costs.  So while I maintained Blue Cross Blue Sheild for most of those 10 year, I reconfigured the insurance every year to keep costs in line with the previous year.  So I have had renewals where what I actually purchased was a cost savings from the previous year, but the plan was never the same plan as the previous year.  If that makes sense.  Point being, saying your costs went up, down, or sideways without any real data is meaningless.

Wait...I don't have a clue how Obamacare drove my specific health costs this year? What is that supposed to mean? 

I never said it drove my costs up or down. I stated my plan for the coming year with my employer has gone down and my coverage remains the same. Period. 

So, your renewal quotes have gone up every year for the past 10 years and this year is different how? 

It'll be interesting to see how prices are changing this year in the aggregate. The websites are up now, so people can begin compiling weighted numbers, I'd think.

I'd also like to see eligibility for Medicaid time-limited for able bodied adults, similar to unemployment benefits.

Lastly, I think this Supreme Court challenge is very dangerous for the law. Nobody knows what will happen of course, but the circumstances of the court accepting are notable. 

Step-daughter has a Silver plan. Her deductible is $3000. She just recently underwent a successful appendectomy. Because her mother is a slightly off-balanced person and kept the Medicaid talk going, the admin of the hospital didn't check her insurance. Step-daughter made the call to the insurance company, got the numbers, called the hospital back, and made sure her insurance was properly applied.

Like I've said, it might take an actual phone call or two to make it work on the insured's end. I've dealt with more problems trying to switch cable plans/packages.

Not really new news but interesting to hear someone admit that it wasn't an accident that the bill was a jumbled incomprehensible mess.. From this article.

An architect of the federal healthcare law said last year that a "lack of transparency" and the "stupidity of the American voter" helped Congress approve ObamaCare.

In a clip unearthed Sunday, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Professor Jonathan Gruber appears on a panel and discusses how the reform earned enough votes to pass.

snip

"Lack of transparency is a huge political advantage,” Gruber said. "And basically, call it the stupidity of the American voter or whatever, but basically that was really, really critical for the thing to pass."

Gruber made the comment while discussing how the law was "written in a tortured way" to avoid a bad score from the Congressional Budget Office. He suggested that voters would have rejected ObamaCare if the penalties for going without health insurance were interpreted as taxes, either by budget analysts or the public.

snip

"If you had a law that made it explicit that healthy people are going to pay in and sick people are going to get subsidies, it would not have passed," he added.

Wait is the argument being made that people didnt know that there was an insurance mandate, thereby spreading the risk pool so insurers could cover people with pre-existing conditions? Or that low income people were going to get subsidies? Those are core tenants of the law and were well known when it was being discussed.

If people were misinformed or uninformed, perhaps less time should have been spent discussing death panels on fox news.