Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

I think the standard stories out there are under-estimating how badly this is all going.

The projection was that 7 million people would get insurance through the exchanges, and that was if the website was working. More than that are losing their plans this year. 

That note by DaGoonie55 is how a lot of people are feeling right now. Minimize. Talk about commercials. Come up with mitigating points all you want. This is going horribly. Not bad. Horrible.

I have posted in here before, just stating your insurance has decreased, increased, or hasn't increased a dime doesn't really tell you much.

I can tell you that my company insurance increased this year and part of it was a tax to set up the ACA exchanges.

So regardless what my normal health care costs would have done, I paid extra for Obamacare...and I am not even using it.

Just re-enrolled in my compnay healthcare for 2014. It is sad what this has done to the private insurance I paid for reviously. My cost increased over $1,000 due to Obamacare.

My work will be releasing the new heath care rates soon, I am a bit concerned.    Why would private insurance go up because of Obamacare?

My work will be releasing the new heath care rates soon, I am a bit concerned.    Why would private insurance go up because of Obamacare?

You have to meet the new requirements; so if it doesn't, chances are whatever plan that does  goes up.

This will all shake out over the next year.   If it's as bad as the Talipublicans say it is; they will cruise to historic victories in 2014.  If the law just needs fine tuning; the the it will be more of the same.

I say wait and see what happens.

Obama accused of breaking promise to consumers as health plans cancel policies

A new controversy over the president’s health-care law is threatening to overshadow the messy launch of its Web site: Notices are going out to hundreds of thousands of Americans informing them that their health insurance polices are being canceled as of Dec. 31.

The notices appear to contradict President Obama’s promise that despite the changes resulting from the law, Americans can keep their health insurance if they like it. Republicans have seized on the cancellations as evidence that the law is flawed and the president has been less than forthright in describing its impact.

“The real problem is that people weren’t told the truth,” Gov. Chris Christie ® of New Jersey said Tuesday on “CBS This Morning.” “You can remember, they were told that they would be able to keep their policies if they liked them. Now you hear hundreds of thousands of people across the country being told they couldn’t.”

Administration officials say the canceled insurance will be replaced by better policies. But the new line of attack comes as the administration continues to grapple with its problem-plagued Web site, HealthCare.gov.

add in the companies bailing from the exchange

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/insurers-tell-congress-beware-rate-shock-if-obamacare-enrollment-extended

if sign ups are delayed much more it is going to be a real mess

\

We haven't seen the worst of it.  I've already been warned of next years rates for my company.

If I were young and healthy, I would just pay the fine.  We shall see how it pans out.

Well what good is a mandate if you aren't forced to follow it.

I mean I can pay a fine and not buy insurance.  What if everyone did that?

Now what I don't know is what happens to a person who simply pays the fine for not getting healthcare, if they realize they need coverage can they suddenly sign up?

What many of you are over looking is that you don't even need to pay the fine/tax. That particular tax can only be collected on through excess in tax payments and the law bars any other penalties. If one always under pays their taxes all they need to do is pay each year minus the healthcare fine what they owe the IRS.

And yes they can suddenly sign up if they need the health care for many circumstances but would take a couple of weeks (That said other types of insurance can cover accidents).

We haven't seen the worst of it.  I've already been warned of next years rates for my company.

If I were young and healthy, I would just pay the fine.  We shall see how it pans out.

If I was in the individual market, I'd accept the fine, and never pay it and wait to get sick no matter the age.

I guess it depends on what you need it for.

If you need surgery but it's not urgent, or you have a longterm disease, then I think yes you could put it off until after you sign up for insurance and be fine.

If you're hit by a car or have a heart attack and need surgery today, then no.  That's the hole in the "wait until you get sick to sign up" strategy, is that it doesn't account for emergencies.

Actually the majority of accidents would be covered by other types of insurance (ie auto insurance). Now your heart attack example is valid.

What many of you are over looking is that you don't even need to pay the fine/tax. That particular tax can only be collected on through excess in tax payments and the law bars any other penalties. If one always under pays their taxes all they need to do is pay each year minus the healthcare fine what they owe the IRS.

And yes they can suddenly sign up if they need the health care for many circumstances but would take a couple of weeks (That said other types of insurance can cover accidents).

If I was in the individual market, I'd accept the fine, and never pay it and wait to get sick no matter the age.

I would love to see a link describing this, as I am unaware.  It makes it even more laughable if true.

That said, most poor/middle class plan their taxes so they get a refund so the tax may be applied.

So, I just updated my personal care for my son and I. I haven't gotten a letter yet, it's with United Health Care/Goldern Rule. I hope everything is kosher, but we will see. 

I don't care for the politics of it all. well, I do care but just hope I don't get ****ed.  I have a good plan for what I need and want.

Why would private insurance go up because of Obamacare?

Oh, it certainly CAN.

The ACA law doesn't just create exchanges. Among lots of other things, it mandates that all insurance must cover certain things. If your policy didn't used to cover some of those things, then the insurer has to either cancel the policy, or modify it so that it does cover those things. And the latter costs money.

The rates go up, but the customer also gets coverage for something that wasn't covered, before.

Whether that's a fair trade off may be a matter of opinion.

The single male whose rates go up because his plan is now required to cover maternity expenses might not think that the extra coverage is worth paying for.

----------

That said, though, it's also guaranteed that lots of people/companies are using the cover of Obamacare to jack up people's prices, and blame Obamacare for it, too

(Just as I have no doubt that there are, or will be, lots of people who go out and use Obamacare to get cheaper coverage, that doesn't cover as much, and yell loudly that Obamacare made their rates go down.)

----------

It's something that's easy to spin, because we're dealing with a subject where it's pretty much impossible to isolate individual variables.

• Like 1

This is not a very good strategy. 

The excess tax payment thing, while it seems to be true as a basic principle, is tough because it's tricky for most people to calculate accurately to ensure they never get a tax refund.  Plus, if you don't pay it, the fines will accrue penalties (I suspect) and interest.   Long term, even the best case scenario is not very rosy.    The government will get theirs, sooner or later.

That said, though, it's also guaranteed that lots of people/companies are using the cover of Obamacare to jack up people's prices, and blame Obamacare for it, too

(Just as I have no doubt that there are, or will be, lots of people who go out and use Obamacare to get cheaper coverage, that doesn't cover as much, and yell loudly that Obamacare made their rates go down.)

This is all true for message board fodder.

That's why I say peoples cost of insurance is meaningless without lots of information.  If I fired everyone in my company below 30 and replaced them all with people above 60 my insurance would skyrocket, and vice versa.  That would have nothing to do with Obamacare.

I can say, during my renewal this year, Obamacare caused all insurance to go up.  I have to pay for these exchanges.  Now since I was shopping, it wasn't a case of Blue Cross Blue Shield holding me hostage and making me pay higher rates.  They couldn't because I have options, as I always have.  So I switched to another carrier.