Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

Of all the options, I think skinny repeal would be the worst.  Insurance companies have to cover preexisting conditions, but absolutely nothing is done to force or encourage the healthy to maintain insurance?  

If the true goal is to hammer it out in committee, why not just pass Senate's ideal version? And if they are not doing that because they don't have an ideal version that's better than ACA and have enough votes to pass, maybe that's a pretty good sign that GOP needs to go back to the drawing board and focus on crafting a better bill.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, visionary said:

Curious how they get "20% spike in premiums".  

I could see how repealing the mandate that cap premiums for us Old Folks at a ratio of the youngins might cause premiums for Old Folks to go up.  but at a decrease for young folks.  So where's the net increase coming from?  

Maybe they're scoring the effects of eliminating the subsidies that lots of folks currently get?  (But are there really that many currently getting subsidies who wouldn't simply drop coverage entirely?)  

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

Curious how they get "20% spike in premiums".  

I could see how repealing the mandate that cap premiums for us Old Folks at a ratio of the youngins might cause premiums for Old Folks to go up.  but at a decrease for young folks.  So where's the net increase coming from?  

Maybe they're scoring the effects of eliminating the subsidies that lots of folks currently get?  (But are there really that many currently getting subsidies who wouldn't simply drop coverage entirely?)  

I think CBO is assuming (probably correctly) that if you repeal individual and employer mandates and have temporary 130% premium penalty (or is it nothing under skinny repeal?) as the barrier to health coverage, lot of healthy people will cancel insurance, thus raising the loss ratio and premiums.

23 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

As one Faux News commentator said, "what good does it do to repeal Obamacare only to replace it with something worse?"

#YOHEY 

Worse than something they have to force you to get?....damn 

26 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

As one Faux News commentator said, "what good does it do to repeal Obamacare only to replace it with something worse?"

#YOHEY 

1). He was immediately fired, right?  

2). And replacing it with something worse is the Republicans PURPOSE. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daveakl said:

It's not a tax. It's a penalty for not carrying health insurance. 

Twa is referring to the reasoning that SCOTUS used to uphold individual mandate.  

Twa, fwiw, I would argue that forcing healthy individuals to get health insurance is better than forcing insurance companies to cover preexisting conditions without influx of healthy customers.  

So the Tax / fine / penalty is simply encouragement rather than govt using it's power.

Glad we cleared that up

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Twa is referring to the reasoning that SCOTUS used to uphold individual mandate.  

Twa, fwiw, I would argue that forcing healthy individuals to get health insurance is better than forcing insurance companies to cover preexisting conditions without influx of healthy customers.  

Indeed.

I think a lot of behaviors are better....we need to start Tax / fine / penalty them as well.

3 minutes ago, twa said:

So the Tax / fine / penalty is simply encouragement rather than govt using it's power.

Glad we cleared that up

Unfortunately, IRS didn't buy "it's only an encouragement" argument from me.  Maybe you'll have better luck? 

Indeed.

I think a lot of behaviors are better....we need to start Tax / fine / penalty them as well.

There you go!  Now you're thinking like a liberal!:P

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, twa said:

Glad we cleared that up

You've lost me in semantics. It's the government saying you have to either have health insurance or pay $ for choosing not to. It's the price you pay for being an American citizen living here.

5 minutes ago, twa said:

Glad we cleared that up

Indeed.

Because governments have never been about controlling peoples behavior. Lots of behaviors are controlled, theft, murder, drug usage, you can be sent to war, if you're transgender you can't serve, etc. etc. Util we become so barbaric as to refuse treatment to people who can't prove they can pay for medical services before they are rendered I am ok with requiring health insurance. Personal responsibility and all.

• Like 1

Just now, daveakl said:

You've lost me in semantics. It's the government saying you have to either have health insurance or pay $ for choosing not to. It's the price you pay for being an American citizen living here.

You lost me, they fine you if you don't get the approved ins.

oh wait, it's a tax on not getting maternity ins at 64.

1 minute ago, twa said:

Yes, in the United States of America you are required to either carry health insurance or pay a penalty for choosing not to.

Are you not in favor of that?

2 minutes ago, daveakl said:

Yes, in the United States of America you are required to either carry health insurance or pay a penalty for choosing not to.

Are you not in favor of that?

No, not in favor

Nor does it demonstrate the value of what you want to force upon folk.

11 minutes ago, twa said:

Single payer is going to make it so much simpler. If the Rs can push through a repeal we will get there faster.  

Edited by RedskinsFan44

Just now, RedskinsFan44 said:

Single payer is going to make i so much simpler. If the Rs can push through a repeal we will get there faster.  

Cali seemed to take a pass on it, if it don't fly there where will it?

We need some brave state to step up.