Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help needed from the Tailgate tech gurus

Rocky21

What software do I need in order to make a DVD that will play in a regular DVD player?

I am trying to make a compilation of several music videos that are in mpg and wmv file formats that I burn on my computer but will be compatible with most dvd players. Any help?

What software do I need in order to make a DVD that will play in a regular DVD player?

I am trying to make a compilation of several music videos that are in mpg and wmv file formats that I burn on my computer but will be compatible with most dvd players. Any help?

Any type of CD burning software should work. As long as your DVD player plays DVD-R or DVD-RW DVDs, you should be fine.

Try a site like download.com to see what the best burning software is.

What CD/DVD drive do you have? There are cases where it may only be compatible with DVD+R (rather than -R)...what discs are you using?
Good thought Brendan. I checked the owner's manual for the DVD player and it said it accepts DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW but they have to be properly formatted.

I went back and checked the software I was using for burning the videos on my computer (Windows Media Player, Widows DVD Maker and IMG Burn) and I didn't see a format recording button so I'm back to the point of I don't think I have the right software. Argggh!

Good thought Brendan. I checked the owner's manual for the DVD player and it said it accepts DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW but they have to be properly formatted.

I went back and checked the software I was using for burning the videos on my computer (Windows Media Player, Widows DVD Maker and IMG Burn) and I didn't see a format recording button so I'm back to the point of I don't think I have the right software. Argggh!

Most software won't make you specify which 'format' to burn, it will simply burn it. Assuming you're using a PC, you SHOULD be able to simply right click the file, scroll to "send to", and then select the DVD drive. Once the file is moved there, there ought to be a button that prompts you to record. Does this not happen for you?

It sounds like we are talking about different things. I am trying to burn a DVD on my computer that will play in the DVD player hooked up to my TV. The DVD player doesn't recognize the DVD to play it. I have tried a couple of different discs (DVD-R and DVD-RW) and a couple of different ways of burning them but no worky.

Does your DVD player support the file format you are trying to play . That is the likely limiting factor. If you use Windows, you can simply right click on the files and send them to the DVD burner . No special software required, but the player has to support the file format.

It sounds like we are talking about different things. I am trying to burn a DVD on my computer that will play in the DVD player hooked up to my TV. The DVD player doesn't recognize the DVD to play it. I have tried a couple of different discs (DVD-R and DVD-RW) and a couple of different ways of burning them but no worky.

You'll need to burn the DVD with encryption and make VOB files.

Once you have the converted files (convert them from MPEG to VOB files, then use something like DVD Shrink or DVD Decyrptor to burn the image (you have to have Nero or some DVD burning software).

DVDs aren't like CDs when you burn them and expect them to play on any old DVD player. They have to be in VOB format.

DVDs aren't like CDs when you burn them and expect them to play on any old DVD player. They have to be in VOB format.

CDs aren't even like that. There are players (both CD and DVD) that can handle a variety of encoded files almost as a PC would but older players in particular only have a very limited range of accepted formats. If you've ever had the luxury of owning a CD burner and a mid-90s car concurrently then you'd probably be awfully familiar with how finicky things can get (only accepting specially marked music CDs burned in a non-MP3 format that limits you to 8-16-ish tracks per disc).

You'll need to burn the DVD with encryption and make VOB files.

Once you have the converted files (convert them from MPEG to VOB files, then use something like DVD Shrink or DVD Decyrptor to burn the image (you have to have Nero or some DVD burning software).

I have a converter but it doesn't convert to VOB so I will download a converter program and give it a try. Thanks for the tip GibbsFactor!

Have you tried to play it in a different dvd player? How old is your dvd player? I have a really old one that doesn't play some formats. I also have a dvd recorder player that I use to copy from TiVo onto DVD +/- RW, and I have to format each time I record.

I downloaded a DVD authoring program (DVD Flick) and it converted all of my files to VOB files and did something to them that my old DVD player liked. It really worked like a charm. I'm ready to do my unpaid testimonial!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Archived