Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Clark Rips Stephen A Smith And His Hairline. Stephen A Smith's Response.

DM72

Blah blah blah. I'm soooo tired of Sports "News". Cover the 4Ws, ESPN and show obscure sports the rest of the time. Thanks.
The problem with shows like First Take is that it allows it's panal to say whatever stupid thought that pops up in their heads, especially Skip. He had enough nerve to call Chris Bosh, "Bosh Spice" right to his face.

The only problem with that is that peiople have shown that they are *hypothetical* tired of 2-4 old geezers beaming about "Three Yards And A Cloud Of Dust," putting people to sleep with their fireside chats, while telling you that the earth is spherical, and that the sky is blue.

People want flare, they want humor, they want pizzazz. I like a lot of the humorish shtick, and make no mistake, it is shtick. Both Stephen A and Skip are well respected in the sports journalism community, even if they come across as clowns on First Take. I also get turned off by some of what they say, but I won't watch it on that day.

These networks aren't stupid. Presenting facts and "shooting straight from the hip" is a thing of the past. They are now about solely provoking a reaction, more than providing unbiased intelligent discussions/opinions (which they still do, occasionally). Pretty much all media is like that now. It's just like someone railing on sodium/calorie rich tv dinners,talking about how companies should be taken to task for the foods that they put out, yet they'll still stock up on Hungry Jacks anyways.

It's all about viewership, that's all they care about. No matter how much you hate it or love it, if you're tuning in to see what's being talked about, you're still doing them a favor.

I personally think that they need to lay off with the personal stuff, and realize that they might think that it's all professional wrestling and promo bull****, but some people will take it the wrong way, and they should take whatever they have coming to them, instead of hurling grenades.

The problem with shows like First Take is that it allows it's panal to say whatever stupid thought that pops up in their heads, especially Skip. He had enough nerve to call Chris Bosh, "Bosh Spice" right to his face.

That the shows exist IS the problem. Why do we need them? Do we really need opinions on how people play a sport? If we care about it, we watch it and in watching it we have our own opinions on player X. Nowadays all sports are basically reported on like Pro Wrestling—It's soap-opera for "men". Why should we give a rats-ass if so and so is doing coke/cheating on their wife/hurting animals. There was a time when all this went on and we could just watch sports.

Half the time, the "news" isn't even as important as the delivery. Jim Rome, Stephen A, etc. I love Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel, but that's about it.

Do we really need opinions on how people play a sport?

Obviously, or they wouldn't get ratings. We don't "need" a show about a sympathetic serial killer on HBO, either, but it gets ratings, because people like it and have a desire to watch.

You and I might not agree with them on these stupid shows, but there's obviously a market. Your argument will never, ever win out in that environment.

This is where First Take sometimes loses me.Todays episode had NFL power rankings. That's right, NFL power rankings in APRIL. And right on schedule, idiot Skip Bayless doesn't even have the SB champion Giants in the top 5 in the NFC. I can't stand the Giants, even less after this salary cap bs, but they did just win the SB.

The only problem with that is that peiople have shown that they are *hypothetical* tired of 2-4 old geezers beaming about "Three Yards And A Cloud Of Dust," putting people to sleep with their fireside chats, while telling you that the earth is spherical, and that the sky is blue.

People want flare, they want humor, they want pizzazz. I like a lot of the humorish shtick, and make no mistake, it is shtick. Both Stephen A and Skip are well respected in the sports journalism community, even if they come across as clowns on First Take. I also get turned off by some of what they say, but I won't watch it on that day.

These networks aren't stupid. Presenting facts and "shooting straight from the hip" is a thing of the past. They are now about solely provoking a reaction, more than providing unbiased intelligent discussions/opinions (which they still do, occasionally). Pretty much all media is like that now. It's just like someone railing on sodium/calorie rich tv dinners,talking about how companies should be taken to task for the foods that they put out, yet they'll still stock up on Hungry Jacks anyways.

It's all about viewership, that's all they care about. No matter how much you hate it or love it, if you're tuning in to see what's being talked about, you're still doing them a favor.

I personally think that they need to lay off with the personal stuff, and realize that they might think that it's all professional wrestling and promo bull****, but some people will take it the wrong way, and they should take whatever they have coming to them, instead of hurling grenades.

its not about presenting the facts, it irks me when people say that.

These guys are "pundits" who get personal and dont really give a good analysis of the sport. They are not journalists and have given up that card years ago.

And taking it personal is what leads to Jim Everett stomping out Jim Rome happens.

I just think its hilarious how those dudes (Skip and SASsy) got upset and their feelings hurt when an athlete made it personal after they made it personal.

There are so many instances with the Redskins where a player says something, and I'll read it in the Post where it sounds like he's being a total dick or crazy. Then I'll go the Redskins.com and watch the unedited interview sessions, and it turns out the player said absolutely nothing wrong! A reporter's job these days seems to be to make a story even when there is no story, so I can understand why Ryan Clark would be frustrated at how he's portrayed in the media.

I was just about to type something exactly like this. Hmmm, members of the media being "misquoted" and so they get mad at someone for misinterpreting their statement. Well, why doesn't Steven A. go through the mass amounts of times that he's misinterpreted statements and meanings of statements from athletes and then he can go put his head back up his rear and maybe shut up for a change.

Archived