Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

(from last 5 years)1st round Rookie QB perf , compared to Grossman

oraphus

Had a little time at work and decided to put together a chart of 1st round Rookie QBs in the last 5 years and their performance the first year starting.

Got the average of all first years starters to compare against Grossman's stats. Then did the same average for just top 10 picks.

Interesting part is that Avg stats for top 10 QB picks is pretty close to Grossman's stats from last year. Only difference being top ten QB picks have a better average TD/ int ratio, but Grossman has more yards.

I used total stats for each QB. The positive i get from this is that at worst, in his first year RG3 will play as well as Grossman (if not slightly better)

And before everyone jumps on me.. yes, i understand these are just pure numbers and in reality RG3 might be way above this.. closer to Cam Newton.... or could also be bellow average. He is basically an unknown in the NFL. It'll be interesting to come back at the end of 2012 season and see how his numbers compare with the average.

good call on google docs:

link here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuOjmdooYHRQdGlnckpGZjRQS0g2MGN5c0RDZEp2U2c

Solid work, thanks for it. Just another reason why it's a good thing to maintain Rex on the squad. RGIII is a complete unknown as far as NFL performance goes and although I feel he will perform better than most on the top 10 QB pick list we cannot be sure. Hopefully someone will remember to bump this thread near the end of the season. I would love to take another look maybe even see an updated chart.

Grossman is not in competition with RGIII (despite what Shannahan might say for motivational purpose about "competition".) Grossman will be the backup/ teacher. Grossman knows the system and will not take up any valuable teaching time from Kyle and the other coaches, allowing them to focus entirely on our franchise QB.

I appreciate the effort it took you to put this together, but it is completely irrelevant. RGIII will be the starter for the Redskins regardless of any stat comparisons. Even if the results somehow showed that Rex puts up better stats than every rookie QB to come into the league since Sammy Baugh

I am not saying Rex has a chance to beat RG3 for the starting spot. I added Rex to the chart just for info sake. My point being that at worst, an average top 10pick rookie QB performed on par with Rex, if not slightly better. So our offense should not get worse, by all indications, even in RG3's rookie year.

when looking at Rex's career stats, i'm lead to conclude that Rex is actually a career back up... Prior to last season (where he started 13 games) he only started for a full 16 games ONCE, and that was the SB trip in 2006!! BTW that was the only season apart to 2011 where he's thrown for 3,000 or more yards..

take a look at his profile and its pathetically underwhelming when considering him as a potential starter...

when looking at Rex's career stats, i'm lead to conclude that Rex is actually a career back up... Prior to last season (where he started 13 games) he only started for a full 16 games ONCE, and that was the SB trip in 2006!! BTW that was the only season apart to 2011 where he's thrown for 3,000 or more yards..

take a look at his profile and its pathetically underwhelming when considering him as a potential starter...

I mean, he's been in the NFL for 9 years and he just broke 10k yards passing...

I am not saying Rex has a chance to beat RG3 for the starting spot. I added Rex to the chart just for info sake. My point being that at worst, an average top 10pick rookie QB performed on par with Rex, if not slightly better. So our offense should not get worse, by all indications, even in RG3's rookie year.

Cool, just trying to nip any "I like Sonny!" or "I like Billy!" situation in the bud.

I always respect and appreciate posters who bring statistical analyses to the table, but it just doesn't matter for Rex at this point.

Grossman is not in competition with RGIII (despite what Shannahan might say for motivational purpose about "competition".) Grossman will be the backup/ teacher. Grossman knows the system and will not take up any valuable teaching time from Kyle and the other coaches, allowing them to focus entirely on our franchise QB.

I appreciate the effort it took you to put this together, but it is completely irrelevant. RGIII will be the starter for the Redskins regardless of any stat comparisons. Even if the results somehow showed that Rex puts up better stats than every rookie QB to come into the league since Sammy Baugh

I think you completely missed the point of the OP.

That being said. I would like to see this bumped/updated after this season to see how our rookie QB matches up.

Cool, just trying to nip any "I like Sonny!" or "I like Billy!" situation in the bud.

I cant see this being an issue anyway. Anyone clammoring for Rex to start over anyone (other than Beck) should have their head examined. :ols:

Rex has had perhaps the worst injury history of any 1st Round QB in recent memory. Two of his injuries put him out for essentially one year each. Coupled with the fact that he's played in four systems with just 47 starts, stats don't really tell the whole story.

People today are whining in NY because they feel Sanchez hasn't been given enough time even though he's had 47 starts in the same system and same team.

QB analysis is so political.

Rookie performances/first years vs a veteran that has been in the league several years.... if I'm wrong I stand corrected..but it just makes Rex look worse imo. Even if it's Rex's first year, ( don't recall his years injured/broken leg etc.) Players improve usually over the course of a career...so this doesn't do much for me..Rex is what he is.

Archived