Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we don't take a QB with the 1st pick

compguru13

They'll be a kid from Stanford on the trade board at #1 before you get to the RGIII option.

Hail.

Oh if Luck controls where he wants to go then I definely they he is coming to DC. Only thing is if that doesn't happen RG3 will be here. HOLYSH** I just realize we are effing set!!!!! Oh my, we are going to get Luck or RG3 without a doubt. And we hold all the cards because we can bring down the price on the #1 pick cause RG3 is sitting at 2 and Luck get to semi control over it.

Oh if Luck controls where he wants to go then I definely they he is coming to DC. Only thing is if that doesn't happen RG3 will be here. HOLYSH** I just realize we are effing set!!!!! Oh my, we are going to get Luck or RG3 without a doubt. And we hold all the cards because we can bring down the price on the #1 pick cause RG3 is sitting at 2 and Luck get to semi control over it.

Pretty nice situation to be in huh? :) Provided we don't go do something silly like move ourselves down the draft list .....

Hail.

Only thing I'm mad at though is we are not going to be 3rd pick and that really sucks because we will probably have to give up a 1st next year. And I got my eye on Honey Badger next year. I know he isn't big but he plays big and a superstar in the making. He's a type of player offenses have to gameplan for. Because he just makes plays that can be gamechargers.

Only thing I'm mad at though is we are not going to be 3rd pick and that really sucks because we will probably have to give up a 1st next year. And I got my eye on Honey Badger next year. I know he isn't big but he plays big and a superstar in the making. He's a type of player offenses have to gameplan for. Because he just makes plays that can be gamechargers.

Everyone has their eye on honey badger next year. And I really hope we're not in any kind of position to draft Honey Badger next year. But that might just be me.

He's another one of those "electrifying" players that you have to be weary about. "Electrifying" doesn't really translate to the NFL.

He's another one of those "electrifying" players that you have to be weary about. "Electrifying" doesn't really translate to the NFL.

Naw he is substance too. He would be a nickle back in our system mostly. But he plays 110% effort and you see it. He has good awareness to be a young player. I think he can take a slot WR out of the game too. If you look at Kerrigan he always had a knack for causing fumbles in college and it sure as heck translated to the NFL.

People keep saying Colts going to cut Peyton for Luck but how I see it is Luck will not want to be part of a team like that. Luck probably look at sideways. Peyton has made the Colts what they are today and soon as a HOT Prospect comes along you just going to choice him over Peyton. Luck will look at that as no loyalty. He knows a business but for Peyton if healthy but chose Luck over him is kind of shady if you ask me.

Everyone has their eye on honey badger next year. And I really hope we're not in any kind of position to draft Honey Badger next year. But that might just be me.

That's the big thing about this years QB class at the top end and so many craving us to be in a high enough position to snag one.

Get one of the real special guys coming out, and hopefully this will be the last year in a LONG time we're anywhere near the top end of the draft.

Hail.

People keep saying Colts going to cut Peyton for Luck but how I see it is Luck will not want to be part of a team like that. Luck probably look at sideways. Peyton has made the Colts what they are today and soon as a HOT Prospect comes along you just going to choice him over Peyton. Luck will look at that as no loyalty. He knows a business but for Peyton if healthy but chose Luck over him is kind of shady if you ask me.

Thats the business man. Peyton has a few years left if that. U have a big time QB coming out that should be able to lead your team for the next 10 years maybe more maybe less no one knows.

I know the fanbase wants a top tier QB with the first round pick. Luck, Griffin, and even Barkley are being hailed as the next HOF QBs, and we need one now!

But.

That's not to say there isn't going to be talent available later in the first round, and second round of the draft. Guys like Tannehill and Lindley, who can take time to develop with Rex. Face it, with the exception of Griffin, these qbs will need a good line, a SUPERB line. And though the pieces (not the depth) are there for a solid O line, it takes a while for a strong rapport to be established. Taking Barkley or (ugh) Jones with the first round pick will be doing the same thing we did to Ramsey - putting the team on their back before their ready.

So looking at the draft, I feel the best thing to do is TRADE BACK. Drop to the 12th, 13th pick (I'm assuming we finish with ~5th), and aim for a 2nd and 3rd round pick too. I have no idea if he's coming out, but Tyrann Mathieu has looked *great* with LSU. A completely solid CB that can easily play as a #1 guy. Restructure Hall's contract - he can be a great #2, and Wilson is a solid CB as well. That one addition will complete our D for the next year... Good Secondary, Great LB corps, and with Jenkins back, Great Line.

I know the fanbase will implode if we don't draft a qb with the highest pick possible. But still, if we were to go another direction, what would you want?

QB is the key player to any top NFL team. Without a top QB your just going to be average at best. QB at number 5 is a must....

Thats the business man. Peyton has a few years left if that. U have a big time QB coming out that should be able to lead your team for the next 10 years maybe more maybe less no one knows.

How old is Peyton? If doctors say he is good to go and should not have any problems with his neck. Then Luck has to look at that in the long run too. When he goes down that road too. "What would this team do when I'm 34 years old and I still have 3 to 4 years left? Will they push me out for the next hot QB?"

Now I can see if they are getting someone like a Gabbert or Ponder where you know they are going to sit for like 2 or 3 years. But for them to be slobbering over a QB that can step in right away and be top ten QB but have their Franchise(Peyton) back and ready to go and just ready to dump him? He got to look at it like a business but it can have some kind of Loyalty. But anyway I have thought that Luck wouldn't want to go there anyway, because he would have to be better than Peyton ever was or he would not get any credit to his own greatness.

QB is the key player to any top NFL team. Without a top QB your just going to be average at best. QB at number 5 is a must....

Lots of assumptions with your statement:

1. Skins will pick at #5

2. One of the top QBs will be there when they pick.

3. If one of the top QBs is there then we have to hope it's one that will fit in a WCO.

If things don't work out for the Skins on the top QBs then I hope they find a trade back partner to pick up more picks. The offense really needs an infusion of talent. Hopefully a good QB for our system will be available sometime in the draft.

Colts will not cut Peyton for Luck. Would it be in their best interest? Maybe, but that is not their M.O.

Peyton has been the savior of that organization. If he can play, there is no way they choose a rookie with no ties to the organization over him. It would be a PR nightmare and puts Luck in a bad situation. Imagine the pressure of being the guy they cut Peyton for? Imagine the fan and media reaction if he struggles early on.

How old is Peyton? If doctors say he is good to go and should not have any problems with his neck. Then Luck has to look at that in the long run too. When he goes down that road too. "What would this team do when I'm 34 years old and I still have 3 to 4 years left? Will they push me out for the next hot QB?"

Now I can see if they are getting someone like a Gabbert or Ponder where you know they are going to sit for like 2 or 3 years. But for them to be slobbering over a QB that can step in right away and be top ten QB but have their Franchise(Peyton) back and ready to go and just ready to dump him? He got to look at it like a business but it can have some kind of Loyalty. But anyway I have thought that Luck wouldn't want to go there anyway, because he would have to be better than Peyton ever was or he would not get any credit to his own greatness.

I agree with the last part big time. There will be a ton of pressure on Luck if he ends up replacing Peyton especially if they let Peyton walk.

But IMO it comes down the right thing to do and the smart thing to do. The right thing to do would be to draft another OL, WR, RB for Peyton and start looking for a replacement another year or in the later rounds. Or trade back and get more picks to put guys around Peyton to make another run at a S.B. The smart thing to do is draft Luck have your QB for the next 10-15 years or whatever and start building around him. Its pretty obvious that the Colts dont have to people to develop a QB seeing how bad the QB play has been for them this year. Watching them sends a message to me that they need a big time guy out of college and not a project.

Will it be crappy for Peyton, sure it will but it worked out pretty well for the 49ers when they let Montana go and worked out pretty well for the Packers when they let Favre walk. JMO, but i think Peyton will either be traded or let go.

Colts will not cut Peyton for Luck. Would it be in their best interest? Maybe, but that is not their M.O.

Peyton has been the savior of that organization. If he can play, there is no way they choose a rookie with no ties to the organization over him. It would be a PR nightmare and puts Luck in a bad situation. Imagine the pressure of being the guy they cut Peyton for? Imagine the fan and media reaction if he struggles early on.

I think people are ignoring another element: Payton may free to restructure his contract of he's not 100%.

That being said, time will answer many questions. If Peyton is back to his old self, I think estimates of 3-4 years are an insulting understatement. The guy is a HOF and arguably the greatest qb ever. If he's back fully he can play until he's 40. If I'm the Colts and I see Peyton throwing and even being 90% of his former self, I stockpile picks an build a championship defense.

I agree with the last part big time. There will be a ton of pressure on Luck if he ends up replacing Peyton especially if they let Peyton walk.

But IMO it comes down the right thing to do and the smart thing to do. The right thing to do would be to draft another OL, WR, RB for Peyton and start looking for a replacement another year or in the later rounds. Or trade back and get more picks to put guys around Peyton to make another run at a S.B. The smart thing to do is draft Luck have your QB for the next 10-15 years or whatever and start building around him. Its pretty obvious that the Colts dont have to people to develop a QB seeing how bad the QB play has been for them this year. Watching them sends a message to me that they need a big time guy out of college and not a project.

Will it be crappy for Peyton, sure it will but it worked out pretty well for the 49ers when they let Montana go and worked out pretty well for the Packers when they let Favre walk. JMO, but i think Peyton will either be traded or let go.

I just think the Packers situation is a little different. They gave Favre a chance to win another superbowl. He was basicly stringing them along with him retiring or staying. He also didn't want to be at training camp and stuff. It was just a different type of thing. And even though Favre was the Face of the Packers Rodgers was there already and knew the situation going on. It is tough just to throw he in that way after Peyton after you just cut Manning.

I just don't see Luck wanting to go there anyway. Just not a situation he would like to be in. A horrible team, going into a spot held up by the one of greatest to play, and just how that was handled would be so much PRESSURE.

It all comes down to Peyton's health. I see 3 possibilities:

Door #1: Peyton does not recover fully and retires. Colts take Luck.

Door #2: Peyton recovers fully and can play. If this happens the Colts don't need a QB now. If Peyton was healthy this season and they had somehow acquired St. Louis' pick in a past trade and that gives them the 1st pick, they wouldn't take Luck. My point is that if Peyton recovers fully, there is no reason he can't play for another 3 seasons at least. He rarely gets sacked and almost never gets hit. I don't see them taking Luck to sit on the bench for X amount of years and I don't see Luck wanting to do that.

Door #3: Peyton's recovery is a little sketchy and they are not certain about him. I see them taking Luck in this position and probably start shopping Manning around in the hopes that a team will overlook the uncertainty of his health as a risk/reward scenario.

I just cannot see Peyton being healthy and them still taking Luck. Nor do I see them trading a fully recovered Peyton and turning their back on their Lord and Savior of so many seasons. But this is the NFL and anything is possible. One thing's for certain, the only reason the Colt's are talking about Luck is because they WILL pick 1st and that drives the price of that 1st pick up when trade offers come in. If they straight up say they don't want Luck, it would be much easier for teams to offer less. It's a win/win for the Colts those lucky ****s.

I think people are ignoring another element: Payton may free to restructure his contract of he's not 100%.

Don't see any way he's going to restructure his contract to allow them to saddle him with a lousy team and draft his replacement. If he feels he can't play anymore, then he probably retires. If he feels he can play, then he wants to be the man, either in Indy or elsewhere.

Don't see any way he's going to restructure his contract to allow them to saddle him with a lousy team and draft his replacement. If he feels he can't play anymore, then he probably retires. If he feels he can play, then he wants to be the man, either in Indy or elsewhere.

No, he's not going to do that. Throw that notion out the window.

I stand by my position that I believe Indy drafts Luck regardless.

However, Irsay isn't an idiot. Even if he doesn't plan on drafting Luck, he's going to say he's going to draft Luck. Why? Simple. Get people to offer more to trade up for him.

Any conversation for us, though, at QB should exclude Andrew Luck. If we were to find a way to get him, it would be a major, major coup. Instead, our conversation should focus on the rest. Our number one target, in my opinion, should be Griffin. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Barkley and Jones go back to school.

I stand by my position that I believe Indy drafts Luck regardless.

However, Irsay isn't an idiot. Even if he doesn't plan on drafting Luck, he's going to say he's going to draft Luck. Why? Simple. Get people to offer more to trade up for him.

Any conversation for us, though, at QB should exclude Andrew Luck. If we were to find a way to get him, it would be a major, major coup. Instead, our conversation should focus on the rest. Our number one target, in my opinion, should be Griffin. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Barkley and Jones go back to school.

I have a bad feeling Barkley might return to school. IF that happens, we must keep our position in the draft and would still probably have to move up.

No, he's not going to do that. Throw that notion out the window.

Yeah you are right. Not sure why I even brought that up.

Then I see only two scenarios:

Manning doesn't recover, they take Luck

Manning has okay or full recovery, he fights them not to take Luck and build team for next 4 years.

I hope it is the latter. Either we trade up for Luck, or another QB needy team does eliminating another competitor for Barkley or RG3.

Archived