Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If we don't take a QB with the 1st pick

compguru13

I know the fanbase wants a top tier QB with the first round pick. Luck, Griffin, and even Barkley are being hailed as the next HOF QBs, and we need one now!

But.

That's not to say there isn't going to be talent available later in the first round, and second round of the draft. Guys like Tannehill and Lindley, who can take time to develop with Rex. Face it, with the exception of Griffin, these qbs will need a good line, a SUPERB line. And though the pieces (not the depth) are there for a solid O line, it takes a while for a strong rapport to be established. Taking Barkley or (ugh) Jones with the first round pick will be doing the same thing we did to Ramsey - putting the team on their back before their ready.

So looking at the draft, I feel the best thing to do is TRADE BACK. Drop to the 12th, 13th pick (I'm assuming we finish with ~5th), and aim for a 2nd and 3rd round pick too. I have no idea if he's coming out, but Tyrann Mathieu has looked *great* with LSU. A completely solid CB that can easily play as a #1 guy. Restructure Hall's contract - he can be a great #2, and Wilson is a solid CB as well. That one addition will complete our D for the next year... Good Secondary, Great LB corps, and with Jenkins back, Great Line.

I know the fanbase will implode if we don't draft a qb with the highest pick possible. But still, if we were to go another direction, what would you want?

Fantastic Post!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the quarterback situation and what to do during the draft.

Trading back isn't a horrible idea if they really feel somebody outside the top 3 (Assuming Juniors declare) will fall. More picks are always great when you are rebuilding.

I didn't realize Mathieu was a sophomore - I saw he was in contention for the Heisman and assumed he was a junior. Maybe next year!

This is my first year watching a lot of college ball. Are there any high-quality ILBs out there? I hate to say it, but Fletcher won't be here forever, and it'd be nice to grab a stud who can learn from Fletch while he's still here!

This is my first year watching a lot of college ball. Are there any high-quality ILBs out there? I hate to say it, but Fletcher won't be here forever, and it'd be nice to grab a stud who can learn from Fletch while he's still here!

Manti Te'o, Donta Hightower, Vontaze Burfict, Luke Keuchley are all VERY good linebackers.

I have a feeling Shanny likes Griffin. If that's the case, it will be interesting. His projected spot is sure to change, and you have to worry about who else likes him and who else is willing to trade up. Atlanta's big expensive trade up this past draft, for example, was a surprise. And that was for a WR. Most of the (probably) top 5 teams picking already have their QB. Could be multiple big trade ups this year.

I can't find the link, but I found this one interview with Shanny a couple weeks back interesting. He basically said they were planning on taking 'their guy' if he was there at 10 (Locker's my guess). And that if he was gone, they would go back for Kerrigan. So that gives me faith in his ability to plan the draft board in different directions. The other interesting thing he said was that 'a couple teams' called him wanting the 2nd round pick that took Jenkins. They refused, took Jenkins, then called the guys back offering their other 2nd rounder. Those teams said "no, you took the guy we wanted". Which leads me to believe these front offices are a little more open with their intentions than we think. These teams have to work together and be somewhat honest with each other for these trade ups/downs to work.

So anyway, with all that said, I have faith in Shanny's control of the board, and his communications with other teams. He won't trade back unless he's certain he's still getting his guy.

If we pass up on Luck, Barkley, or RG3 to trade down I will be extremely upset. I think that would be it in regards to my support of the Shanahans.

If those three are gone by our pick and we have a top 10... we may trade down and still try for a QB, but... if the QBs left at our pick aren't good... it may be worth it to wait until the 2nd or later and come away with a Drew Brees (pipe dream)

If those three are gone by our pick and we have a top 10... we may trade down and still try for a QB, but... if the QBs left at our pick aren't good... it may be worth it to wait until the 2nd or later and come away with a Drew Brees (pipe dream)

If all three are gone by the time we pick, that is one thing. If any of them are there when we pick and we pass, I will be pissed.

The Redskins have so many holes, you have to take the best player available at a critical position: WR, CB, tackle, QB. Realistically, aside from Helu, there's not a lot of long-term promise on offense given this week's headlines. A QB in this league also needs a tall receiver. Rex shouldn't have to rely on a 5-9 player for a jump ball on Sundays.

If all three are gone by the time we pick, that is one thing. If any of them are there when we pick and we pass, I will be pissed.

Exactly. This IS THE YEAR we get a QB (or should). I think we will tank the rest of the games this year (not deliberately but because we're thin on talent offensively), winning perhaps 1 of the remaining 4. Looking at the way the Draft Board is shaping up, we're in very good shape relative to other teams. If all of the top 3 (QB prospects ) are gone I think we need to just take best talent available or whatever that talent is as it speaks to our need. There is a huge fall of in talent @ QB after RG3 and Barkley are off the board.

I didn't realize Mathieu was a sophomore - I saw he was in contention for the Heisman and assumed he was a junior. Maybe next year!

ILB is very strong this year..you cant pass on the qb prospect that your coach thinks is franchise quality so youve almost gotta go qb with the first pick and maybe even trade up to be sure.

meanwhile, we could still get a blue chip ILB in the second.

A thousand times NO!!!!!

Barring something very strange we will finish with a top 5 pick. We MUST come away with a QB for the future of the franchise. This is the best QB draft in a while. QB is the priority. All else is a very distant second.

If Shanahan doesn't draft a QB and he doesn't make the playoffs next year, he's gone. Simple as that. Danny will fire him for not getting the number one thing we need. This is the worst QB situation in the NFL

Archived