Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yesterday's loss set us ahead five years!

Burgold

And exactly how many posters are suggesting we need the top overall pick?

*crickets*

This just in, the Skins have stunk for a long time. Another news flash, winning games in 2011 does not help the team AT ALL. if it does, please enlighten me, because the difference between 4 wins and 8 wins means exactly what? Does the team gain some sort of MOMENTUM that I have yet to experience from year to year? Do those four wins represent some puric victory that has yet to come to fruition... Is 2012 the magical year where all this suffering magically ends because we've "tried hard" over the last decade to get it right?

Is it just our turn?

I can't wait for April so all this can end. I think I speak for most of the board here: Hopefully the Skins are in position to get a very good player (QB) who can help us WIN for the next decade.

Beating the Jets, or Seahawks in a season that ends with 4 wins or 8 wins means exactly what in the grand scheme of things.... Looking back I wish we would have tanked EVERY YEAR WE DIDNT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. Draft picks > temporary emotions received from a Sunday victory.

I disagree. teams and individuals improve during the year in part due to game time. the best team at the beginning of the season is rarely the best team at the end. winning wouldnt just build confidence, it would demonstrate that we're putting it together.

confidence and of winning culture counts too.

maybe this is the year we need a high pic if a qb catches shannys eye, but I was happy shanny didn't reach for a qb he didn't like last draft. if he passes on this years q b class, so be it

I'll be happy with a high pic on draft day, but really wish we could win out instead, even though the odds of that are so low.

Ok, i posted this data in GHH's thread, but have since cleaned it up b/c it is very relevant to this topic.

I call this, the "15" chart: It shows the last 15 SB winners, and how often they drafted in the Top-10 in the 15 years leading up to their SB victory. For repeat offenders, I only did it for their first victory. I hope that makes sense to you.

At the bottom, is the Redskins and how many times they have drafted in the Top-10 in the last 15 years.

6460684115_98ede4462d_z.jpg

Knowing this, I just don't get why people are so passionate about us losing games so we don't lose draft position. Sure it helps to draft higher, especially in later rounds, but it's definitely not the lack of drafting in the Top-10 that has doomed us to mediocrity.

It's what we've done with those picks.

I just thought I'd mention it, but I looked at the teams who took a QB with the first pick in the draft in the last 15 years or so, and the team who took the 2nd QB in the draft almost always (% wise) came out with a better QB.

Here's to taking Barkley or Griffin as the 2nd QB! :cheers:

Thanks for posting this, Burgold! You saved me the trouble of looking up and posting all of the LOSER QB's that were picked high in the draft. I am grateful for that, for I am lazy.

I get a kick (not really) out of the 4,397.2 threads that have been started saying "QB X coming out of college will lead us to the promised land."

So the other thread was closed because well it was pretty much beaten to death about how losing or winning will either get us a better or worse draft position and thus either a better or worse QB and you are doing the same thing with this thread. Not sure how this thread is any different. :whoknows:

Are we going to talk about this every week after either a win or a lose?

The bright spots for the Redskins are indeed:

Roy Helu- He's developing into a good runner. He'll be great next year.

Fred Davis- The bright spot of the offense. He's only going to get better but he has to be wiser.

Stephen Bowen- I like this guy. Former Dallas Cowboy or not, he stepped up this year after Jarvis Jenkins went down in the preseason.

London Fletcher- He's the father of the defense. An ageless wonder who just keeps making plays on defense.

Ryan Kerrigan- this guy is like Mark Gastineau playing outside linebacker. Kerrigan will be similar to what Clay Matthews Jr. is in a few short years.

Brian Orakpo- the other outside linebacker. His game is awesome. He just needs to learn how to go for the strip and fumble when he gets to the quarterback. But he's one of the Redskins best defensive players.

Reed Doughty- He's underrated but he's been stepping up eversince Sean Taylor passed away. He's not outstanding, but he's sound in coverage and gives it his all every game.

Perry Riley- I just have one question about him. Why wasn't he drafted higher than he was? He has the potential to be a tremendous middle linebacker for years to come. He's certainly has talent that Rocky McIntosh lacks. I look forward to seeing him blow up plays in the offensive backfield in the future.

Players I'm disappointed in.....

DeAngelo Hall. He has the ability to be elite, but he only does his best against average receivers but gets scorched in coverage perpetually against top receivers.

Josh Wilson- What was the use in acquiring this guy? I'm very disappointed in his play this season. He delivered a good hit on Santonio Holmes yesterday, but he's been getting burned to much this season. He has a lot to work on for next year. And he doesn't have not even one pick this season.

Rex Grossman- I'm tired as hell of seeing this man turn the ball over every damn week. It's gotten to the point where I've started to look forward to Grossman turning the ball over.

John Beck- Mike Shanahan was delusional as hell to not only have this man near the top of the depth chart, but cut Kellen Clemens even if Clemens has had more wins as a starter NFL quarterback than Beck who is 0-7 as a starter. Just stupid.

Jonathan Crompton- I've seen videos of him play at college and he was good. One question though- why hasn't this young man been promoted from the practice squad? Judging from what I've seen out of the ridiculous and oftentimes absurd and comical level of pop warner level play at QB this season, why hasn't Mike Shanahan promoted this kid Crompton to the active roster yet? What could it hurt at this point?

LaRon Landry- He's still playing in Sean Taylor's shadow. Personally, I like his aggressive style of play and he's played greatly in the 3-4 scheme the way Haslett has used him. But during most of his five year tenure, Landry has been a disappointment and he was not worthy of a 6th overall draft choice in 2007. Playing in the 3-4 with a new assignment has made him better, but the guy is injury prone now. And he hasn't healed yet fully from last season's injury. The jury is still out on whether Bruce Allen offers him a contract or not. In my opinion though, the Redskins need to move on from Landry.

Burg's thread is fine within all relevant rules and actually reflects an ES tradition to make a counterpoint thread with an ironic or a humorous twist in reply to a longer previous thread topic. That said, given the tone of many members lately, it may be that this devolves into too much of a mirror of SHF's thread, which it doesn't "need" to given the range the OP allows. But I may end up closing this if it does or for no other reason than to spare some people from self-immolation. :)

NC21: check your PMs. ;)

Thanks for reaffirming that there is a 70% hit rate with taking a QB with the first overall pick.

Not sure what that has to do with the Redskins since they aren't picking #1 overall, but, to each their own.

What this does say is that taking a QB with the 1st overall gives you a success rate of 70%. I like those odds and it makes me even more confident that trading up for Luck might be the best play.

I just thought I'd mention it, but I looked at the teams who took a QB with the first pick in the draft in the last 15 years or so, and the team who took the 2nd QB in the draft almost always (% wise) came out with a better QB.

Here's to taking Barkley or Griffin as the 2nd QB! :cheers:

And what if this is the year when 1st QB taken turns into a Peyton Manning and the second QB turns into Ryan Leaf? This is why draft position matters. Hope to god your talent scouting is excellent and with good draft position you create your destiny instead of hoping whoever falls to you turns out to be good.

I remember reading that the year the steelers took Ben their scouting wanted Rivers but obviously they didn't get him so they settled for Big Ben. Fast forward 7 or so years and Ben has two SBs and Rivers none. Arguments could be made that Rivers would have won in Pittsburgh but if you know anything about the steelers, for most of Bens career the offensive line has been below average and the play calling suspect at best. It's been his play making ability, his ability to keep plays alive that have led to his success. Rivers I highly doubt would have had the same success offensively not to mention he wouldn't be playing in the AFC west every year.

I know my point has been slightly skewed but all I was really trying to point out is that draft position gives you the best opportunity to make the right pick, but none of it matters if your scouting/talent evaluation is not good. Teams great at picking players would prefer high as possible draft picks while the teams with subpar evaluation should go for the trade down for more picks. Even if your bad at darts, if given enough chances your bound to still hit some bullseyes.

Archived