Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES OC/DC Discussion Thread - Skins vs. Turds

KDawg

Both our offensive and defensive coordinators have been under fire this year. Every week there is someone who questions one or both of them. This week will likely be no different.

The game began offensively with back to back genius playcalls on end arounds from Anthony Armstrong and Donte Stallworth.

We threw a ton of playaction dumpoffs into the flats, which may have been the designed target, but could also have been a check down by Rex Grossman.

As the game continues, the deep ball is being utilized a bit more and we're taking more shots. To Kyle Shanahan's credit, he called an excellent draw play with Rex Grossman to score the Redskins first touchdown. With Grossman's total lack of mobility, there is no way Dallas expected that play in the least. That's one of those outstanding glimpses you see from Kyle's offense at times.

It's my opinion that we need to make more a commitment to Roy Helu, Tashard Choice, Ryan Torain and the running game, however with a lack of trust in our OL, it appears that Kyle is nervous to let the running game become the staple of this offense.

At the end of the first half, the playcalling seemed to settle down a bit and the Redskins began to do damage. There needs to be carry over with the playcalling. Keep Dallas guessing, don't get cute, and stick with the basics. Great end to the half.

Defensively it's been a mixed bag for the 'Skins so far today. But the defense isn't breaking. They bend a bit, but that was in large part due to the offense's struggles. I'm not a big Haslett fan, but thus far, he can't have too much blame lumped on his shoulders in my opinion.

The highlight of the first half defensively, though, was Lou Spanos doing his rendition of the bunny rabbit from Monty Python's "Quest for the Holy Grail".

So, use this thread to discuss our offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator.

Kyle and Has are looking good. It's not the playcallers, this game proves it. We need players to execute. Kyle's calling the game exactly like he needs to. Has isn't going crazy with the zero blitzes. When the players execute, we see the schemes work.

I agree. The plays are looking good. The difference is this week, the execution has been better!

So, I was thinking... I saw DeAngelo Hall in one on one coverage with Dez Bryant in this game in a clutch situation and Dez came up big. To me, it looked like Hall was in good position, but lost Dez when Romo sits to pee scrambled.

But... That seems so... familiar... Almost like it happened in week 3... Wait... It did. Why are we putting Hall one on one with Dez Bryant? Why, Jim? WHY!? UGH! TWICE against Dallas. TWICE!!! FRIGGIN TWICE!

/soapbox.

I don't like the way the offense or defens is being called. Offense played a good game this week but the missed FG's did us in. So why do you not try to get closer in OT so it is a chip shot for Gano instead of playing a conservative offense? He missed earlier on a long FG going towards that side of the field. So what happens then Dallas gets the ball on their own 42 yard line and the defense lets them get a chip shot FG because of poor play calling. We can blame the players for the poor play but who is teaching them this style of play? Jim Haslet. The same with teh offense except it is Kyle Shanahan. Just look at the poor coverage on Jason Witten. They played zone on that play which allows the WR to find a hole in the zone and wait for the ball to be thrown to him. Haslet has nothing better than a zone coverage scheme that everyone reads very easily. Kyle Shanahan is doing the same thing he did in Houston in which he throws the ball more times than running, So no surprise that they are losing more than winning. He is like a combination of Andy Reid and Jason Garret in which he thinks throw to set up the run but he just hasn't figured out what the other two have. They give the ball to their RB's than Shanahan does. Even Houston has figured that out since Shanahan has gone.

The Redskins have 202 total rush attempts and 329 pass attempts. That's a total of 531 offensive plays. They are running the ball on 38% of offensive plays.

The Cowboys have 233 rush attempts and 319 pass attempts. That's a total of 552 offensive plays. They are running the ball on 42% of their plays from scrimmage.

The Eagles have 265 rush attempts and 318 pass attempts. That's a total of 583 offensive plays. They are running the ball on 45% of their plays from scrimmage.

The Giants have 246 rush attempts and 320 pass attempts. That's a total of 566 plays. They are running the ball on 43%of their plays from scrimmage.

That's alarming. We're running the ball at a miniscule rate. But some of that is due to offensive line issues. Obviously, the team feels more comfortable throwing the ball, for whatever reason. I'm not quite sure how Rex Grossman and John Beck evoke confidence in that aspect of the game, but to the Shanahan's, they clearly do. The one argument I could see for throwing the ball, despite poor protection and poor QB play is that it generally will have a higher percentage chance of a big play opportunity. Running the ball for small chunks on an inconsistent basis doesn't afford for a lot of scoring opportunities. But the flip side there is, if we don't run the ball a lot and still don't get those big plays, our time of possession is horrendous.

Allowing opposing offenses on the field for longer periods of time, as our defense has had problems getting them off the field as well, limits our ability to play ball control football. We need quick strikes because we put ourselves in position to need quick strikes.

At one point in the game yesterday we had 13 plays for 14 yards.

We've turned the ball over on our opening drive numerous times.

At some point, you have to look to the playcalling and start mixing it up more. But, when your offense and defense don't get the job done and you play from behind, that speaks to a need to throw more often as well.

Kyle and Has are looking good. It's not the playcallers, this game proves it. We need players to execute. Kyle's calling the game exactly like he needs to. Has isn't going crazy with the zero blitzes. When the players execute, we see the schemes work.

Badda Bing Badda Boom.

Our coordinators are doing just fine. They're both calling good games. Sure they make mistakes like everyone does - back to back end arounds?

It's obviously the talent level. I'm looking forward to the next couple of years as the talent increases and the young guys we have have more experience in their systems.

The Redskins have 202 total rush attempts and 329 pass attempts. That's a total of 531 offensive plays. They are running the ball on 38% of offensive plays.

The Cowboys have 233 rush attempts and 319 pass attempts. That's a total of 552 offensive plays. They are running the ball on 42% of their plays from scrimmage.

The Eagles have 265 rush attempts and 318 pass attempts. That's a total of 583 offensive plays. They are running the ball on 45% of their plays from scrimmage.

The Giants have 246 rush attempts and 320 pass attempts. That's a total of 566 plays. They are running the ball on 43%of their plays from scrimmage.

Thanks for the stats.

Part of the problem is that our running game isn't working all that well with our OL as it is.

Also, we need more Helu. He's looks dangerous every time he touches the ball. Torrain needs to fall to third on the depth chart. Choice should be Helu's backup.

That's true, but if you all are complaining now.....what would you all be doing if we ran more down by 10-14 in the second half? You'd all be going nuts. I'm not too worried about percentages, but I do think if we had a better O-line we would be running more.

That's alarming.

At some point, you have to look to the playcalling and start mixing it up more. But, when your offense and defense don't get the job done and you play from behind, that speaks to a need to throw more often as well.

I was surprised to see that we had run the ball 25 or so times, particularly considering our awful ypc.

I thought Kyle and Has called good games overall, I wasn't expecting that kind of success from either our O or D. Romo sits to pee extending those third downs is what really killed us. Very impressed with our run D.

That's true, but if you all are complaining now.....what would you all be doing if we ran more down by 10-14 in the second half? You'd all be going nuts. I'm not too worried about percentages, but I do think if we had a better O-line we would be running more.

I hate this kind of generalization.

Being down by 10-14 in the second half isn't a big deal. Being down by 10-14 in the later stages of the 4th quarter, however, is. I'd like to see us run the ball more often. But that doesn't include running the ball in situations that dictate that you don't.

Archived