Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any MBAs, Chemists or Economists in the Tailgate?

Elessar78

I'm in the exploratory phase of a career change and was wondering if there were any MBAs, chemists or economists here in the tailgate that could give insight into what they do? I'm looking to find if it's a good fit for me.

I've set a 5 year horizon to get my degree.

Currently, I'm a graphic designer. I'm ambivalent about it and can't see myself in the field for the rest of my life. I don't think anything is particularly wrong with it but it's just not the right environment for me. I've had a decent career working for an agency, a publisher, and corporate in-house. So I've had a gamut of experiences and it's just not for me.

I think I have lots of questions. I've done some research on the internet and I'm trying to line up meetings/interviews with chemistry professors and high school teachers about possible careers.

On the front end, what kind of math and chemistry skills would I need to brush up on? I'm 8 years from my last math class so I'd probably need to brush up on that just to do well on an entrance exam.

Further down, what are the hot (read: lucrative or exciting) segments of chemistry right now that I could focus on? My issue with an MBA is that it's a general approach to a graduate degree, which is not bad and it has a broad application. However, I personally like the idea of having an expertise in a particular domain.

But basically, I'd like to develop a vision for where I want to get to when I do this career change. So I'm just trying to get an idea of the possibilities for chemists. Today, I spent a good bit of today chatting with a friend who is a higher up at BASF and it sounds like an interesting field. I was good at Chemistry in HS and found it really interesting. I had bad-ass chem teacher in HS. Exam questions would be like (This was way before CSI): You're police and you confiscate a white powdery substance, and we had to figure out if it was cocaine or baking powder. Interesting stuff like that.

I have a B.S. in Chem, but only got it b/c I wanted to go to grad school to be a pharmacist. Ended up finishing pharmacy school and hating everything about the job. So, I am now back in school to get my PharmD and hopefully do research (maybe consulting too?) which is the stuff I enjoy. Overall, I don't know how much you could do other than be a lab assistant w/ just an undergraduate Chem degree? I know you can work in law enforcement (CSI stuff like you mentioned), but I think you're somewhat limited unless you go to grad school.

---------- Post added November-18th-2011 at 10:36 PM ----------

As far as the math, most of it is stuff you need for your general ed requirements as an undergrad (college algebra, Trig) but you also need a few semesters of calculus too (this is for a BS in Chem, I have no idea about a masters or PhD). Check the school your interested in applying to and see what their math requirements are for the Chem degree

I think I have lots of questions. I've done some research on the internet and I'm trying to line up meetings/interviews with chemistry professors and high school teachers about possible careers.

On the front end, what kind of math and chemistry skills would I need to brush up on? I'm 8 years from my last math class so I'd probably need to brush up on that just to do well on an entrance exam.

Further down, what are the hot (read: lucrative or exciting) segments of chemistry right now that I could focus on? My issue with an MBA is that it's a general approach to a graduate degree, which is not bad and it has a broad application. However, I personally like the idea of having an expertise in a particular domain.

But basically, I'd like to develop a vision for where I want to get to when I do this career change. So I'm just trying to get an idea of the possibilities for chemists. Today, I spent a good bit of today chatting with a friend who is a higher up at BASF and it sounds like an interesting field. I was good at Chemistry in HS and found it really interesting. I had bad-ass chem teacher in HS. Exam questions would be like (This was way before CSI): You're police and you confiscate a white powdery substance, and we had to figure out if it was cocaine or baking powder. Interesting stuff like that.

How much math and chemistry do you have?

If you can't do basic algebra (e.g. 5*1 = 3*x; solve for x), then right off the bat you'll have issues. I'd also suggest that you familiarize yourself with "factor label" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_conversion_by_factor-label) concepts if you aren't. From there, you'll need to take several math classes probably. Most chemistry degrees require at least 2 semesters of calculus and most likely at least one other class (sometimes this is called calculus 3, other times this would be called differential equations, and occasionally something else). Sometimes a 4th class is required (this would be linear algebra or something the equivalent there of), but that is very much institutional dependent.

If you aren't familiar with calculus, it is different than other math.

Assuming you haven't had any college level chemistry, you'll have to take at least 8 semesters of chemistry total in a particular series. These likely aren't going to be 3 credit classes alone as they likely will have a lab that is required (labs tend to be about 3 hours but only count as 1 credit as compared to a 3 hour lecture will be 3 credits being the norm.). As I said, this will have to be done in series, so you are looking at least 3 years of classes if you don't take classes over a summer or winter (and in chemistry that means ALL day in class in most cases as you have lecture for part of the day and the corresponding lab in the afternoon).

There will probably be other chemistry classes too (8 would be the min, and I don't know anywhere that ONLY has the 8 to get a degree).

You'll also probably need to take 2 semesters of physics (which will likely require that you already have 2 semesters of calculus and you'll likely have to have the physics to take your last chemistry classes (You likely can find somewhere to take calculus over the summer. That's pretty standard. Physics over the summer is less common, but there are places to do it).).

A semester or two of Biology also might be required, but that's less common for a straight chemistry degree.

Historically, chemistry degrees have paid for themselves pretty easily. However, like most other fields, there are issues. Many chemists have historically worked for companies making small molecules. Much of this work is now being done over seas. Even large Pharma companies where they are worried about industrial secrets are farming work out to smaller over seas companies.

A lot of chemists also work as quality control work in industrial settings here. I know I have an ex-undergrad that that works in a coca-cola plant doing QC work. Less industry here means less QC work here.

I generally suspect that a degree in chemistry will continue to pay for itself in the future though- at least as likely as any other non-engineering degree (GOOD jobs that pay a lot are chemical engineering, but those programs tend to be very competitive and very difficult). Certainly, the number of majors is going up, which would be an indication that some other people suspect it will too.

Chemists, especially with just a BS, don't generally really get wealthy though. Those that I have known that are REALLY interested in money tend to end up getting another degree. I know people that work for Pharma that gotten MBAs on top of their chemistry degree and then gone over to management. I also know people that have taken legal classes or even gotten law degrees and gone into patten law, or even more simple things like pharmacy (historically, VERY competitive programs, but also well paying).

With just a BS, I'm not sure you have to worry enough about what is hot. It tends to be a shot gun approach to the subject. At higher levels, new materials is hot. This ties into all sorts of fields from alternative energy (making new solar collectors), nanotechnology, and microfluidics. Six of the last 12 non-biochemists I've seen interviewed have tried to tie their research to alternative energy in some manner (mostly solar), 2 were in nanotech, another 3 were in microfludics (which is small, but not quite nano), but they were all generally what I'd call material sciences, and then there was 1 of what I'd call an environmental chemist. Though they are really separate things. Somebody working on the next generation of solar cells isn't going to easily cross over to microfluidics (at a higher level (at a BS level there are certain techniques that would be common and would cross over easily)).

(The above is a bit confusing if you start looking at the classes you need for a degree. Chemistry is traditionally broken down into 5 different areas, organic, analytical, physical, bio, and inorganic, and your classes will likely have titles related to those. In practice, those are very broad. Somebody making materials for solar cells is pretty different than somebody making precursor molecules for drugs, but they both could easily be organic chemist.)

Again, though, I'm not sure you'll need to worry about that at an undergrad level. You'll likely want to get some research experience if possible while doing your degree. I'd generally suggest that people do something that is pretty general, and therefore widely useful. Realistically, though, the research, and learned skills, isn't that important. What it is really about is having somebody that knows you beyond the classroom that can write letters and do reccomendations that say this guy is competent.

I've taken a good bit of math and two semesters worth of calculus in college but it's all rusty, I'm sure. Hopefully it's like riding a bike.

Assuming you haven't had any college level chemistry, you'll have to take at least 8 semesters of chemistry total in a particular series. These likely aren't going to be 3 credit classes alone as they likely will have a lab that is required (labs tend to be about 3 hours but only count as 1 credit as compared to a 3 hour lecture will be 3 credits being the norm.). As I said, this will have to be done in series, so you are looking at least 3 years of classes if you don't take classes over a summer or winter (and in chemistry that means ALL day in class in most cases as you have lecture for part of the day and the corresponding lab in the afternoon).

There will probably be other chemistry classes too (8 would be the min, and I don't know anywhere that ONLY has the 8 to get a degree).

You'll also probably need to take 2 semesters of physics (which will likely require that you already have 2 semesters of calculus and you'll likely have to have the physics to take your last chemistry classes (You likely can find somewhere to take calculus over the summer. That's pretty standard. Physics over the summer is less common, but there are places to do it).).

A semester or two of Biology also might be required, but that's less common for a straight chemistry degree.

Historically, chemistry degrees have paid for themselves pretty easily. However, like most other fields, there are issues. Many chemists have historically worked for companies making small molecules. Much of this work is now being done over seas. Even large Pharma companies where they are worried about industrial secrets are farming work out to smaller over seas companies.

A lot of chemists also work as quality control work in industrial settings here. I know I have an ex-undergrad that that works in a coca-cola plant doing QC work. Less industry here means less QC work here.

I generally suspect that a degree in chemistry will continue to pay for itself in the future though- at least as likely as any other non-engineering degree (GOOD jobs that pay a lot are chemical engineering, but those programs tend to be very competitive and very difficult). Certainly, the number of majors is going up, which would be an indication that some other people suspect it will too.

Chemists, especially with just a BS, don't generally really get wealthy though. Those that I have known that are REALLY interested in money tend to end up getting another degree. I know people that work for Pharma that gotten MBAs on top of their chemistry degree and then gone over to management. I also know people that have taken legal classes or even gotten law degrees and gone into patten law, or even more simple things like pharmacy (historically, VERY competitive programs, but also well paying).

With just a BS, I'm not sure you have to worry enough about what is hot. It tends to be a shot gun approach to the subject. At higher levels, new materials is hot. This ties into all sorts of fields from alternative energy (making new solar collectors), nanotechnology, and microfluidics. Six of the last 12 non-biochemists I've seen interviewed have tried to tie their research to alternative energy in some manner (mostly solar), 2 were in nanotech, another 3 were in microfludics (which is small, but not quite nano), but they were all generally what I'd call material sciences, and then there was 1 of what I'd call an environmental chemist. Though they are really separate things. Somebody working on the next generation of solar cells isn't going to easily cross over to microfluidics (at a higher level (at a BS level there are certain techniques that would be common and would cross over easily)).

(The above is a bit confusing if you start looking at the classes you need for a degree. Chemistry is traditionally broken down into 5 different areas, organic, analytical, physical, bio, and inorganic, and your classes will likely have titles related to those. In practice, those are very broad. Somebody making materials for solar cells is pretty different than somebody making precursor molecules for drugs, but they both could easily be organic chemist.)

Again, though, I'm not sure you'll need to worry about that at an undergrad level. You'll likely want to get some research experience if possible while doing your degree. I'd generally suggest that people do something that is pretty general, and therefore widely useful. Realistically, though, the research, and learned skills, isn't that important. What it is really about is having somebody that knows you beyond the classroom that can write letters and do reccomendations that say this guy is competent.

---------- Post added November-19th-2011 at 10:38 AM ----------

I've taken a good bit of math and two semesters worth of calculus in college but it's all rusty, I'm sure. Hopefully it's like riding a bike.

Thanks. This is very helpful.

What about the work environment once I get into the field? I'm sure it depends on what field in chemistry, but will I be working with myself mostly? In groups? I spend probably 7 hours or more daily of an 8 hour work day seated in front of a computer screen--and I'm over that part. I need a bit more interaction with people. Don't get me wrong, I can task for hours on end (more than 8 when needed) and can be very focused but I need variety in the day to day.

Additionally, I have a young family with more kids to come. The way you describe it, it doesn't seem like the kind of course work I can do with a lot of family needs (financial or otherwise)?

What about the work environment once I get into the field? I'm sure it depends on what field in chemistry, but will I be working with myself mostly? In groups? I spend probably 7 hours or more daily of an 8 hour work day seated in front of a computer screen--and I'm over that part. I need a bit more interaction with people. Don't get me wrong, I can task for hours on end (more than 8 when needed) and can be very focused but I need variety in the day to day.

Additionally, I have a young family with more kids to come. The way you describe it, it doesn't seem like the kind of course work I can do with a lot of family needs (financial or otherwise)?

Generally, I'd say chemist work in groups. I'd expect the most likely out come would be for you to be working in a group.

Variety in the day to day might be a little less common, but I wouldn't say it is rare.

If you have two semesters of calculus that actually helps, but you are still looking at a lot of course work it sounds like. I'd sit down and review the calculus myself rather than retake it, assuming you can go to a place that will accept your old college credits. I know people that have done it in your situation (heck, my mom went back and got a degree in nursing w/ six kids, while working nights as a nurses aid), but I wouldn't generally suggest it.

The fact of the matter is the older you the less likely a college degree is going to pay itself off, and given the economy, the odds only seem lower to me.

The way you make it sound, you'd likely require student loans, which are easy enough to get at any age though (for now).

I have an MBA.

It can be very powerful to open doors in your existing line of work or for a change in direction.

Do you want to get out of design work or out of the whole marcomm/branding industry?

If you have a passion for design, the extra dimension an appropriate MBA can bring in understanding marketing, product management and strategy could capitalize on what you already know. This could result in 'guru'/ consultant opportunities or being broader in skills so you can be a VP Marketing in-house.

Or are you more interested in the business/sales/account management side?

I have an MBA.

It can be very powerful to open doors in your existing line of work or for a change in direction.

Do you want to get out of design work or out of the whole marcomm/branding industry?

If you have a passion for design, the extra dimension an appropriate MBA can bring in understanding marketing, product management and strategy could capitalize on what you already know. This could result in 'guru'/ consultant opportunities or being broader in skills so you can be a VP Marketing in-house.

Or are you more interested in the business/sales/account management side?

I'm looking for more of a change in direction. I wouldn't fight getting out of both the design field and marcomm industry you mentioned for a myriad of reasons. Strangely enough, what prompted this phase is that I did a search on career change in the tailgate and in the thread I found a post of mine from two years ago echoing the exact same way I'm feeling. It was time to get out then, so I'm definitely not going to sit around another two years waiting for something to happen.

I'll always have the design skills, but the way things have been going the last few years and my geographic location... design is not a career conducive to achieving my personal goals.

I majored in economics and wanted to pursue a graduate degree in it for quite some time. Here's what you'll need in terms of math prerequisites (for grad school):

A single-variable calculus course

A multi-variable calculus course

Linear Algebra

Ordinary Differential Equations

A numerical methods course

Courses in probability and statistics with calculus prerequisites

Additionally, courses in Analysis and Partial Differential Equations are highly recommended. All of that being said, it doesn't sound like you're looking for something in academia, which is where an overwhelming proportion of economists end up. Furthermore, while it's definitely the case that a trained economist can thrive in the professional world, it's still important to remember that contemporary economics is very much an ivory tower social science (i.e., it's much more theoretical and out of touch with reality than most of us would like to admit, the exception to this being econometricians). If you want to branch into a new profession and are looking for something in business, go the MBA route.

I have a BS and MS in Biochemistry and another MS in organic synthesis (I got this through my job) not quite the same as straight up chemistry. I work at a large pharma company and the job is pretty decent. If you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer, but as PeterMP said you have a long ways to go to get that degree.

I am currently working on my MBA part-time. For the MBA you have to take the GMAT before you apply. So once you decide which direction you want to go, your first step should be focused on test prep. I don't know what you have to take for an advance degree in Chem, but that should be your focus before you start thinking about schools and such. Some people try the test prep and bail on that first step.

I have a PhD in Economics.... and I work for a DFI (Development Finance Institution)--- a "bank" that supports private sector investments in poor countries, financing guarantees and political risk insurance.

My PERSONAL role here is pretty eclectic and different from everyone elses in that i am both on the credit side (i evaluate macro risk, both on a project specific and a portfolio wide basis) and on the development impact evaluation side.

if you are considering a 4 year econ (bs or ba) then you likely would be hired by someone that wants people that think like economists, but aren't actually hiring economists (whatever "economist" might mean)... kinda like math majors. Nobody hires undergrad math majors to DO math for them... they hire them because they know they are going to be analytic, precise, and smart. None of the economists here have less than a Master's of some sort (here an economist is USUALLY somebody that is part of the group concerned with the evaluation of economic/development impact of our supported investments), and most of the people on the credit side of the house have either an MBA or a JD, as well as several years of private sector finance experience.

anyway in the end... unless you are going into research when you get out WHAT you study is not WHAT you are going to be doing, mostly

Archived