Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN/Money: Millionaires ask Congress to raise their taxes

GSF

What did people in 1900 do when they couldnt afford their taxes? I assume there was a process followed. And I already mentioned btw, that the option to move to a lower population state (thus less taxes under the direct taxation method) was always there.

I don't know. You are the one that suggested that it was the ideal option. You are the one that suggested that taxes should be paid on what people decide they can afford. That nobody should decide what other people can "afford". Lower taxes doesn't mean you think you can afford the taxes (i.e. moving to another state w/ lower taxes might not eliminate the situation).

Though your suggestion that everything was peachy w/ respect to taxation just doesn't match with history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion

If you want to say that people should pay taxes based on what they can "afford", then you need to be able to deal with people saying they can't "afford" anything.

If we can conclude that isn't reasonable, then you need to come up with another argument why these people can't suggest that some people can't afford to pay more than they currently do.

I understand completely what they are talking about. I just disagree with their approach, and most of their argument as long as the spending is glossed over.

Then say that in the future and NOT that taxation should be based on what people think they can afford

(Now, I would say that one of the complaints that people have about the Occupy movement is that it has no concrete actions it wants take. Part of that is that it is to diverse. EVERY SINGLE person that is part of this millionaries group might want spending REALLY decreased (not just a freeze or something like that), BUT they might disagree on how to do that (i.e. what to cut).

This way they focus on a SINGLE issue (allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire) that they all agree on w/o having any defocus on spending.)

I'm mocking them for going a PR based route to make them look good while they seek to impose burdons on other people when they have had the ability to personally do so without impacting another person.

what you arent understanding Henry, is that I dont have a big problem with the discussion on tax rates for the wealthy, and for all of us. Its a valid and needed discussion.

It's that they seemingly did it under the guise of altruism that bugged me.

We have already established that they could in fact ":donate" to the treasury to reduce the debt. They have even acknowledged it. But then they go to the next page and say it's because they "really, really want to pay more", when they mean "we really, really want everyone in our niche to pay more"

They should just be straight on it is all.

This is the problem I have with any debate with anyone on the Right at this point. Instead of simply debating the idea that these people set forth, the discussion is redirected and used to mock people who have opposing points of view. Why is it so necessary to mock and denigrate instead of simply discuss? The problem, SS, is that it makes you look petty, and dilutes your argument. And so it is with the Right these days. Those of us in the middle would love to have an intelligent, honest discourse about increasing taxes AND cutting govt programs; instead, when the topics are brought up, the strawman arguments about the originators of the arguments abound and are multiplied continuously until there is no more debate or discussion. I know that Libertarians and Republicans think that somehow this makes them the "winner" in these debates and superior or something, but the truth is that it makes the rest of us incredibly frustrated and even more unwilling to consider to vote for "your guy" because of it.

And to be fair, both sides do it. I don't know why we can't have intelligent discussion in this country anymore without resorting to name calling and insults?

We have already established that they could in fact ":donate" to the treasury to reduce the debt. They have even acknowledged it. But then they go to the next page and say it's because they "really, really want to pay more", when they mean "we really, really want everyone in our niche to pay more"

They should just be straight on it is all.

I don't think they were trying to be that subtle.

I hope 24 people that make the money i make don't storm anyone, i'm good.
Let See: I took in two homeless people since June (non-family) and bought a hybrid to help on gas last Wednesday.

I've also been working on helping the National association of realtors sell more houses, correctly for the last year. I think i'm doing okay thanks for asking,

Well your welcome, now that response would be great with pics of the car and the homeless individuals, otherwise I have to take your word for it.

If you're fortunate and make over a million dollars per year...

Hmm... I'm pretty sure the people I know who make over a million dollars per year have basically worked themselves to death 80 hours per week to make that happen for them. I really hate when making lots of money is equated to simply being really lucky rather than being really smart or hard working because it is typically every bit as important to be those things as well.

Oh and yeah they want to pay more taxes, they also want to get good press on CNN. Eh, whatever.

Bwahahaha :rotflmao:

I'm surprised anyone could read past that line without doing a spittake lol...

You have this problem reading and drinking at the same time often?

Frankly, it seems that many of the regulars on ES have some downright compulsion to drink while posting.

You have this problem reading and drinking at the same time often?

Frankly, it seems that many of the regulars on ES have some downright compulsion to drink while posting.

No, it's the drinking and reading asinine, nonsensical hyperbole passing itself off as journalism at the same time that tends to be a problem ;)...

Archived