Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNBC 11/9/2011 Republican Debate Thread

visionary

You don't get it. It isn't mathematically possible for this system to keep going for that much longer.

Let's say that tuition goes up at 8% per year while inflation averages 2%. This is a very simple mathematical disparity to figure out. We'll take a 4-year combined cost of tuition, room & board, books, etc. of $100,000 today. We'll also take a family income of $100,000 today. In one year, that education cost is now $108,000 while the family income is $102,000. Uh-oh, a few more families can't afford the full cost of college. No need to worry, though, there are federal loans for that. Two years in, the education cost is $116,640, while the income is $104,040. Uh-oh again! Thank God for those loans.

Ten years in, the education cost is $215,892. The income is $121,899. Twenty years, the education is $466,095. The income is $148,594.

Twenty years, and the gap has grown by three hundred thousand dollars, or by two times the entire after-inflation family income.

You're not arguing with me. You're arguing with math. And I hate to break it to you, but math doesn't care if you think it's mean. Math doesn't care if kids graduate with hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans that will bankrupt them (but, cruelly, can't even be discharged in bankruptcy). Math doesn't care if their wages will be forcibly garnished because the system has inflated the cost of college so much that paying back loans has to be done by court order.

Math doesn't care. So, please, when you're telling me that I'm not thinking of the children who are 16, make sure to tack on an explanation of how I'm not thinking of the children who are 6.

Well said. I love hearing stories about successful business people today who worked while going to school full-time in past decades and that was enough to pay their tuition. They made the decision to work their ass off and they weren't laced with debt when they graduated.

Now it can be argued that the value of many non-technical degrees is plunging, while the costs are still skyrocketing. Another mathematical disparity that will either correct itself with devastating effect, or need to be fixed.

It's very simple. If you can raise prices and still get paid, you raise prices. Sure tuition would drop, the subsidies were created to give the less fortunate a shot. Colleges would have to drop prices in order to keep rates at minimal operating levels. The banks would then be more willing to be more competitive with their rates since the market still exists. Feel free to disagree, but that's what the good Doctor was getting at. I don't see how you can't wrap your mind around the logic, even if you disagree.

Would rates be higher than they are now if the federal loan program was eliminated?

Well said. I love hearing stories about successful business people today who worked while going to school full-time in past decades and that was enough to pay their tuition. They made the decision to work their ass off and they weren't laced with debt when they graduated.

Now it can be argued that the value of many non-technical degrees is plunging, while the costs are still skyrocketing. Another mathematical disparity that will either correct itself with devastating effect, or need to be fixed.

I work full time and attend college while paying for my own tuition out of my own pocket. I am almost done and wont have a dollar of debt by the time I graduate. I realize that others may not be as fortunate as I have been, but it is possible to do. (I am by no means saying that everyone should take this route)

Well yeah almost everyone does. Yet again, a genius op ed post without any meat to it.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that I had to cut the meat up into pieces and feed it to you.

If everyone wants to go to college... and the federal government dangles enormous loans at absurdly low interest rates in front of them... then over the long term, prices go....

meat_fork.jpg

BTW, you want me to show the chart of housing prices since 1982????

You can't possibly be serious.

You mean to tell me that the housing sector—in which the government has provided federally guaranteed loans at below market rates to more and more people—has experienced prices growing at a rate much higher than inflation just like tuition costs?

I had no idea. Luckily, I can see that you've already correctly identified this as a sheer coincidence. There can be no other explanation.

What do you have other than silliness?

Meat on a fork.

Just an example of the current topic from the UNC system that has like 12-14 schools i believe. Just came out yesterday. The Chapel Hill campus is seriously considering a tuition hike up to 40% in a one year period. Also, coming into this school year, there were extreme budget cuts that cut faculty and classes.

So you come into this school facing extreme budget cuts, then you come into next year facing a possible 40% tuition fees hike???

....yea nothing is wrong with the current system...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/11/05/2748830/unc-to-consider-tuition-and-fee.html#storylink=misearch

If everyone wants to go to college... and the federal government dangles enormous loans at absurdly low interest rates in front of them... then over the long term, prices go....

If demand had suddenly jumped, and the federal government stepped in around the same time, I could understand a large one-time jump in tuition costs. However, college enrollment has been incredibly high for decades. Federal student loan programs have been around for decades.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that I had to cut the meat up into pieces and feed it to you.

Meat on a fork.

No you have to post something other than your opinion rather than silly pictures to make a point.

But you can't do that.

Have a couple kids, and be concerned about their future, plus maybe have some basis behing your OPINION, then we can talk sensible. ;)

The report I posted indicated the cost of student services such as IT services, health services (e.g., mental health counseling), etc. have increased as government funding has decreased.

Well health services are subsidized by the government so that makes sense that it would contribute. We are talking 200%. Why hasn't everything gone up 200%?

If demand had suddenly jumped, and the federal government stepped in around the same time, I could understand a large one-time jump in tuition costs. However, college enrollment has been incredibly high for decades. Federal student loan programs have been around for decades.

Total U.S. college and university enrollment increased about 48 percent between 1986 and 2006.

No you have to post something other than your opinion rather than silly pictures to make a point.

But you can't do that.

Have a couple kids, and be concerned about their future, plus maybe have some basis behing your OPINION, then we can talk sensible. ;)

And you call yourself fiscally conservative? You are asking for handouts.

Did you read the report I posted?

You mean the one that merely pointed out that colleges and universities are spending more, when I've been telling you this entire time that colleges and universities are being showered with money? And the one that focused on public university budget cuts in 2008 and 2009?

I'm almost surprised that I didn't post the report.

Demand has gone up, but the supply of information is near infinity these days. States only accredit a limited number of instutitions. This is a racket. The idea that everyone needs to go to 4 year schools, get things like mental health services and high quality trans fat free meals at solar powered facilities is the problem, and it's a problem created by both the federal and state governments.

Yes, it's almost like someone in this thread has been saying that this whole time.

But you can't do that.

At this point, I have to believe that you're being intentionally dense. The law of supply and demand is not anyone's opinion.

And you call yourself fiscally conservative? You are asking for handouts.

????Are you drinking tonight????? I don't get where having to spend 100+K on college has anything to do with being fiscally conservative.

Please explain with something rational.

---------- Post added November-9th-2011 at 11:39 PM ----------

At this point, I have to believe that you're being intentionally dense. The law of supply and demand is not anyone's opinion.

I understand supply and demand.

You are insinuating it is ALL because of student loans.

That isn't dense, it's stupid. But please make a point.

????Are you drinking tonight????? I don't get where having to spend 100+K on college has anything to do with being fiscally conservative.

Please explain with something rational.

The reason tuition is so high is because the tuition is getting paid. The reason our country is screwed up is because no one seems to be fiscally conservative. You want all of these benefits, no terrorists in the middle east, cheap health care, assistance with tuition but are fiscally conservative? Doesn't add up.

All we are debating is rather or not it's a good idea for the government to stop subsidizing student loans. There's very good evidence that points to the subsidies as being a major contributing factor as to why tuition is so high.

You mean the one that merely pointed out that colleges and universities are spending more, when I've been telling you this entire time that colleges and universities are being showered with money? And the one that focused on public university budget cuts in 2008 and 2009?

I'm almost surprised that I didn't post the report.

Walk me through the scenario in which federal student loan programs disappear, college tuition rates plummet quickly and precipitously enough to offset the lack of access to cheap cash, and college enrollment levels stay roughly the same.

Walk me through the scenario in which federal student loan programs disappear, college tuition rates plummet quickly and precipitously enough to offset the lack of access to cheap cash, and college enrollment levels stay roughly the same.

Why does it have to be a quick process? A market correction will occur. It will take some time. Nothing is free. Too many of us want everything for free. Entitled.

Archived